Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-12, 09:53 PM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Then her work here is done! LOL
Well, not so much her work, but the work of others on VF for sure! I probably wouldn't have given the title of the DVD much thought without this thread. If I had seen it on Mary's site, for example, I think it would have been something like "oh, that is an interesting title...." on to the next DVD.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 10:03 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Okay but some people are acting as if that's almost a crime, or at least something that Angie should be answerable for.
I don't remember this much negative drama when Jen Galardi brought out her Sweatin' Sexy DVD.
Yeah, I have to say, the response has bemused me. I don't like the title particularly, but I certainly don't find it any more thread-worthy than the multitudes of "sexy" and "bikini" titles out there. And I liked her clip in which she explained what she meant.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 10:04 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
Having body confidence in the bedroom is exactly what she talks about in her clip. However, I have the ability to separate my own confidence about my body from my "sex life" and my ability to have sex. So, I guess I don't see it as being silly.
Studies show that a lot of women don't have the ability to separate it, and that lack of body confidence is an impediment in their sex lives. I was just saying that if the DVD was just about body confidence in general, why add the "bedroom" part to it?

Never mind anyway. I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Actually, I'm not sure why I commented in this thread because I don't really care anyway...I was just bored and I have a pet peeve for double talk.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 10:27 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
As for someone directing an instructor to VF, I think any instructor would be wise to lurk here. What valuable marketing input! I would think VF would be a treasure trove!
Many do lurk here.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 10:59 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Most of Miller's email to me what a the rather long rationalization for her title that she has on her video. I'm skeptical of fancy footwork to justify someone's actions, but that's me. She certainly didn't win me over, nor did I get the impression she liked my feedback.

Frankly I recoil from workouts-- video or live-- in which the instructor addresses self-love or body attitude, plays shrink or offers affirmations. That stuff doesn't motivate me, and I'd prefer to let the workout stand on its own. Some people welcome this. Eye of the beholder again.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 07:41 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
Having body confidence in the bedroom is exactly what she talks about in her clip. However, I have the ability to separate my own confidence about my body from my "sex life" and my ability to have sex. So, I guess I don't see it as being silly.
Exactly!

Also, I must comment on the outstanding mind reading abilities so many VFers have. Not just this thread, but so many others where we profess to 'know' why an instructor did or said something, what someone 'meant' by what they said, how another VFer was feeling in a particular situation or when they posted a particular statement, etc. Also, our lack of understanding of what an 'opinion' is. Over the years, this has sometimes the most entertaining part of reading VF threads.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 10:33 AM  
JeepGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Exactly!

Also, I must comment on the outstanding mind reading abilities so many VFers have. Not just this thread, but so many others where we profess to 'know' why an instructor did or said something, what someone 'meant' by what they said, how another VFer was feeling in a particular situation or when they posted a particular statement, etc. Also, our lack of understanding of what an 'opinion' is. Over the years, this has sometimes the most entertaining part of reading VF threads.
ITA. I tend to be pretty laid back and not sweat the small stuff, but some things here strike me as odd. Why get so worked up over the title of a workout video....in the overall scheme of things in life, it's so trivial and unimportant. Buy or not buy and vote with your dollar. I cannot imagine taking the time to email an instructor to voice a negative opinion about a workout video TITLE. I might email an instructor to voice a negative or positive opinion about the workout itself. If I read an announcement of the title of an upcoming book that was about to be released, and for some reason I found the title objectionable, I would simply dismiss it and not buy it, not email the author my advanced critique. I don't have to react. To each their own. It does seem to me that to dismiss a video simply because of a title seems like you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but whatever.
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 10:48 AM  
muffins135

Thank you JeepGirl....you said exactly what I was thinking!
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 10:59 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
I don't remember this much negative drama when Jen Galardi brought out her Sweatin' Sexy DVD.
I don't care for either of these titles. Not a big deal, but a tad condescending and silly to me. Personally I love it when instructors come up with titles like these because it makes it so easy for me to give these dvds a pass when I don't need additional workouts anyway. Can you imagine buying this dvd for a guy pal who likes working out? I don't mean the odd male VFer or spouse of a VFer who's grown accustomed to overlooking these things (dvds marketed primarily for women), but men in general. It's dvds like this that give fitness dvds a bad name in the fitness industry where they're often not taken seriously. But if any VFer wants to add this title to their collection all the power to them. [shrugs] Different strokes for different folks.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 11:39 AM  
cherimac

I don't like certain titles~ones that include "sexy", "bikini", or "naked", come to mind. However, I have several great workouts that include those titles. So I just chalk it up to marketing. I may not be the intended audience but I certainly enjoy the workouts.

And personally, I'm more upset with titles like "Dance Your A@# Off." YMMV.

Tags
angie miller, bedroom body, get sexy, michael carson, titles, workout titles