Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-21, 04:42 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

What exercises are safe to do every day?

Right now I'm on a Pilates rotation. I've been doing it 3 times a week. I'd like to add in more moves, but have time and energy constraints, so I'd like to do more the very next day. What moves can I do daily, both Pilates and regular toning moves?
Old 05-01-21, 07:19 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i do a lot of pilates and i mix it up with upper body one day and lower body the next day on both the reformer and the chair.

i've found the reformer and the chair give me a different workout feeling so i haven't had any over use type pains.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 08:55 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Yoga

My grandfather and grand uncles were yogis and they did yoga all the days they could.

All were powerful whenever I would see them (lean, skinny, strong)
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 11:33 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

the abs. they can recover within the same day. if you get doms, you can rest them and choose another body part as others have mentioned.

tai chi and qi gong can be done every day, and classical stretch.

what others have mentioned about alternating body parts is good advice.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 11:40 AM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela View Post
My grandfather and grand uncles were yogis and they did yoga all the days they could.

All were powerful whenever I would see them (lean, skinny, strong)
How awesome is this!!! I love that!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 03:36 PM  
JENILU

I THINK the only things not safe to do daily are any body part done with heavy weights- those I think you need rest or active rest or another body part in between days, with a total or active rest or walking day.I think most cardio types can be done daily with a rest or active rest atleast one day a week. Most light weight or non weighted toning can be done daily with a rest or active rest per week, but heavier things that stress the muscle need time to recover. I may be wrong, but that is the way I've always done any type of work Ive done. Therapeutic things, such as yoga, walking, chi type things are usually done daily with something else or resting atleast once a week.
I think people have used the example that people with jobs that are muscle driven, do them daily with rest on weekends or atleast once a week - but again, heavy muscle work or muscle building needs rest in between so it can recover and grow.
just my 2cents or what I have found or seen over the years

ETA: in years past, people would do the same video like a FIRM video daily for weeks on end till they wore out. I don't know how they did it or what the damage was in the long run,but they seemed to have a lot of results in those days with no rules

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 03:50 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
ETA: in years past, people would do the same video like a FIRM video daily for weeks on end till they wore out. I don't know how they did it or what the damage was in the long run,but they seemed to have a lot of results in those days with no rules
That was me back in the day, and now I'm paying for it! If I do a FIRM or any other quasi AWT or high rep/low weight workout or a slow and heavy workout, I now have to give myself a LOT of rest in between or else if I'm dying to do one of those, I do it the next day with no weights. I think I have an overuse injury in my pectorals right now, actually, so today I did the FIRM Zip trainer cardio without lifting the balls or weights and when I did pushups I did them from the knees or on the domed ball, not from the toes. I can tell my muscles are much happier with me as a result of taking that break.

Jari Love says in many of her videos to only do them three times a week interspersed with cardio and yoga, and I think that's probably a decent rule of thumb. So, say, do weight training MWF, cardio Tuesday and Sunday, and yoga or some other flexibility/gentle/active recovery workout on Thursday and Saturday.
Old 05-06-21, 04:36 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post

Jari Love says in many of her videos to only do them three times a week interspersed with cardio and yoga, and I think that's probably a decent rule of thumb. So, say, do weight training MWF, cardio Tuesday and Sunday, and yoga or some other flexibility/gentle/active recovery workout on Thursday and Saturday.
That sounded more like what I WANTED to say, lol, but I have to add way to many words to get something simple out Very good advice!

I hope nobody took that I thought that the old way of weights daily was healthy. I don't know the results of that because I never quite had the energy for it. I've never even known how so many got up the energy for Slim in 6. i cannot do the same thing daily of I feel it quickly (except my recumbent bike, which has gotten soooo boring!)

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 04:47 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
I hope nobody took that I thought that the old way of weights daily was healthy.
No, not at all, but I do think I used to be able to physically bounce back from that kind of overtraining when I was younger. We really ought to try to encourage younger exercisers to learn from our mistakes!
Old 05-06-21, 05:01 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I remember those Firm days. As soon as I hit 40 I had to back off and go to every other day. Even so I have some overuse injuries in my shoulders.

One thing about yoga, some exercises primarily work you for flexibility and others for strength, and some for both. I suppose I could emphasize one and then the other on alternate days.

I suppose I could do weights daily if I did a split routine. May have to try that.

Thanks so much for your answers.

Tags
daily workouts, frequency