Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-06-21, 07:56 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I got my 2nd vaccine yesterday. Daphne, yes, I got the first I could get, which ended up being Pfizer. I felt fine after the first dose, just a sore arm. I felt fine all day yesterday, but I woke up with a terrible headache. I went back to bed until I had to get Megan up for school. I’m starting to feel slightly better now. I’m using sick leave for at least part of the day—I have a meeting at 3:00 I really should log in for, but if I feel okay, I’ll try a little more work. I hope to take a walk later today too, but other than that, it’ll be a rest day. I’m so relieved to have this vaccine.

Yesterday I did yoga in the morning and a great bike ride at lunch. Ben has started doing Power Zone rides. His first one was a little rough, but that made me feel better as a former instructor—even the best make mistakes. I added on a Denis country ride too. I only really like 90s country, and that’s what he usually plays. He included a Darius Rucker song too, which I really liked. I was a big Hootie fan back in the day too.

Megan’s soccer schedule changed, so I might not be able to do my tri on Saturday, but I’m hoping I can still fit it in.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 11:27 AM  
Vantreesta

I LOVE Darius Rucker! So much so that he has made my gratitude list a couple times! His music just makes me feel so good. He's playing a concert at a venue we have been to several times but I'm just not comfortable with that yet. We are planning on going to Ren Fests this year, which is still crowds, but not with assigned seating so a little easier to keep distance. I would assume concerts will be at lower capacity but I don't know. I hope one day I will get to see him though. I loved Hootie but I love him even more solo.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 01:55 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vannie: I saw Hootie and the Blowfish in 1996, I believe. I hope you get to see Darius Rucker someday! We have tickets to 3 concerts this year that were rescheduled from last year. I don’t know how it’ll all work out since tickets were originally sold pre-pandemic. Two are outside, but one is indoors.

I didn’t do my tri yesterday because my friends wanted to go hiking, and I didn’t want to turn it down. It was really fun, a little challenging with some water crossings though since we got a ton of rain Friday (during a soccer game I was sitting through too).

I went running at the lake this morning, but I had some stomach issues, so I had to walk the last mile or so. All is fine now.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 06:41 PM  
Daphne M

Alison - When good friends want to go hiking, how could you possibly pass that up? Sounds like a day well spent. LOL on Ben's first PZ ride being a little rough. I guess it happens to everyone.

Vannie - It's so fun to start thinking about going to events again. Live music and sports -- what could be better.

Waves to Pratima, Cleda, Mollie and anyone else who is enjoying their workouts this fine spring weekend. I hope all enjoyed their Mothers Day and lots of love from our children of all ages and furry dispositions.

Me
  • My favorite indoor workout this week was probably this morning's Hydrow row with Nick. A 20 minute Drive that was right up my alley: 1 minute warmup + HIIT intervals that got faster and then got longer. He talked about his mom and that got all the feels. Hydrow put pics up of most of the athletes with their moms and boy do those moms look great. Hashtag GOALS!
  • My favorite outdoor workout was a 3 mile run on Friday morning that felt effortless. Wow. Then Saturday's run was a walk and this morning's run was a walk too. The body did not want to be airborne but it did enjoy the fresh air. And I finally got up to date with my hockey podcasts and got through 4 French lessons on my Coffee Break French podcast. C'est super!

I've been in a mini-slump for no good reason but I'm feeling energized again. My 2nd Pfizer shot is Tuesday and that is a good omen for the summer.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 02:27 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all, I'm here. Reno was good. A little hectic, but good. Flew in Friday evening--tough to find dinner in the airport because lots of restaurants still aren't open. Did an iFit Kauai hike Saturday morning on a hotel treadmill, had breakfast, and spent all day at the competition (watched DD and then her teammate). Had dinner with other moms and girls, and flew back Sunday.

DD did well, thank goodness, after a rough year with her stress fracture, gym closed for COVID, etc.

I confess, I've been feeling pretty down lately. I found out last week a classmate of mine who I've known since I moved to AZ in 1982 passed away. He had a liver transplant 20 years ago, was in need of another, then got COVID and never fully recovered. I'm starting to feel like life is one bad thing after another (again?).

Good news is that I am fully vaccinated and so seeing people again. I am also working out. I feel stronger this week than I have the past couple, so there's that.

I haven't read the other posts. My friend's funeral is tomorrow, so maybe I'll have a better outlook after that? I did have a good weekend and Mother's Day--hiking and walking with friends, breakfast, dinner and cards from my family.

Oh I forgot--a couple days after I found out my friend had passed, DH told me his dad seems to be declining somewhat. His mental state isn't what it was. I don't think he'll be gone quickly or anything but suddenly feel like we need to get to CO this summer. BUT he hasn't been vaccinated yet so not sure about it all.

Deep breaths and lots of walks. I'll check in again, I promise!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-21, 10:28 PM  
Vantreesta

Hey, guys. I've been knocked out with fatigue and headache the last two days but am feeling better tonight. Tuesday night I barely slept so I ended up sleeping most of yesterday till around 3. Today I slept in and took two naps. The headache finally went away this evening, thankfully. Nothing I took for it helped. Yesterday we didn't walk at all, today we did three walks but all were short. Fingers crossed I will back to normal tmrw. It's bothering me being off schedule and not hitting my step goal!

Friday, Monday and Tuesday I did workouts for Murph training, Run With Hal app, Lauren Brooks' Push, Pull, Swing challenge and paper workouts, along with the glute warmups and yoga stretches I've been doing. Saturday we were in NE for a Ren Fest and Sunday was one in IA. It was an emotional wknd missing our moms and hard driving the route I hadn't driven since the last day my mom was alive, but I made it through.

Pratima, I'm so sorry about your friend.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 05-14-21, 07:56 AM  
Daphne M

It's already Friday, yes!

Pratima - I'm so sorry about your friend. It just seems so unfair and sad. I hope the funeral did his memory justice. And I'm so glad that the Reno trip worked out well. The first of many more mother-daughter trips! Glad to hear you were able to use the hotel tread for an iFit hike too.

Vannie - Begone bad headache! I hope it's gone. Maybe some day driving that route can be a way to reconnect with your mom's memory in a positive way. I try to remember funny stories about my loved ones when I get sad and that seems to help banish the bad thoughts, but everyone is different. I'm still curious to know how you train for the Murph pull-ups!

Alison
- One of these weekends, I'm going to run into you at either Burke Lake or Lake Mercer. I'll probably be at Mercer tomorrow, although that might change depending on Debbie's schedule. And of course, depending on the availability of gas! It's been ridiculous. I'm fortunate to be WFH as much as I want right now, otherwise I'd be very stressed about commuting with limited fuel availability.

Waves to everyone else who might be reading

Me, Me, Me -
  • I decided that my latest goals until I go on vacation in late June are: (1) strength training 4-5x weekly; (2) get a blue dot on my Hydrow calendar every single day; and (3) get a blue dot on my Peloton calendar every single day! Some days those dots might be a post-workout stretch or a meditation, but I will engage with Hydrow and Peloton daily to keep the habit going.
  • This week's three favorite workouts were: (1) a 30 minute Hydrow "Drive" row with Mike for Nurses Appreciation Day. Simply outstanding. I starred it and will definitely do this one again. And (2) Hydrow yoga with Owen - a 5 minute hip flexor release. Wonderful. Last but not least, (3) Peloton's Flash 15 strength workout with Jess Simms. Loved it.
  • Big news - now that I've had both shots, I'm headed back to the gym with Monica at the end of May. I've still got some PT sessions that I paid for back in early 2020 and I plan to use them all! I'm looking forward to using some of the strength machines and also to getting on the Concept 2s at the gym to see how much my metrics have improved.

All My Workouts Since Monday:
Monday - Run 2 miles + Peloton 15 minute low impact ride + 5 minute Hydrow rowing + 5 minute Hydrow hip flexor release yoga
Tuesday - Peloton 10 minute tread warm-up run +30 minutes Hydrow rowing (a "sweat" row) + Peloton "Flash15" total body strength + Peloton 5 minute post-run stretch
Weds - (A PTO day.) Walk 3.2 miles outside + 40 minutes Hydrow rowing (a "drive" row) + 10 minute Peloton Legs & Glutes strength + 10 minute Hydrow Pilates + 5 minute Hydrow yoga hip flexor release.
Thursday - Run 3.1 miles outside + 15 minute Peloton country ride + 10 minute Hydrow rowing row (a "breathe" row) + 10 minute Peloton Upper Body Strength
Today - 2 mile walk outside + 5 minute Hydrow warm-up row + Hydrow 10 minute core Pilates + 5 minute Peloton pre-run warm-up.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-21, 10:16 AM  
Vantreesta

Daphne, I'm feeling like myself again today, thanks! Answering now so I don't forget again. I used to have a pull up bar before we finished the basement but it was the screw in kind and we didn't want to ruin finished doorways with it so never put it back up and I have thought about but never got one of those door gym things. Another VFer generously gave me her Fit Tower a few years ago (in AZ so my brother picked it up, hauled it to my parents who hauled it to IN so I could bring it home to MN!) so I am doing what I'm calling half pullups. I have the bar set low enough so I can reach it while sitting on the floor and do the pullups from there. My chin clears the bar every rep but since I'm basically just lifting my upper body I'm calling them half pullups. I also have a Tony Little bar that has handles so I'm using that to do inverted rows for Lauren Brooks' Push Pull Swing challenge. Eventually I hope to raise the bar on the tower and do band assisted pullups but I haven't tried it so not sure if it will work. Speaking of band assisted, I downloaded the CVG app for the Murph training and one woman posted a video of herself doing band assisted pistol squats. What a great idea! I hope to try those too if I can make my setup work for it!

Old 05-14-21, 04:46 PM  
Vantreesta

Fri 5/14 0 minutes CYRIC'S BIRTHDAY
15 minutes (from C. Jordan 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout, YT)
9 minutes (from H. Clare Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, YT)
24 minutes (from CVG Murph Training day 13 Medal of Honor --4 RFT 200 M run, 25 air squats, 20 jumping lunges, 15 situps, 10 elevated pushups + additional .25 mi at end for RWH) THU
**00 minutes (from __ mi mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 4) THU *did this as part of Murph day 13
**00 minutes (from L. Brooks Push, Pull, Swing Challenge wk1 day4) push covered in Murph day 13, pull covered in Murph day 14, swings done with BSR
24 minutes (from L. Brooks BSR week 2 Strength 3 + CVG Murph training day 8 -50 hollow rocks + day 14 -50 inverted rows + 20 additional swings for PPS)
12 minutes (from TurboFire Stretch 10)

These mix and meld workouts and challenges are just easier to post from my minutes check in. I felt like my usual self so grateful for that! Poor Cyric is sick on his birthday. Hoping he feels better soon.

Old 05-16-21, 04:46 PM  
Vantreesta

Before I left yesterday to hangout with friends, I ran 1.5 mi for RWH day 5 and did AY Yoga for Runners post-run practice. Also did my 50 pike pushups for Murph day 15. Last night while we visited I did some much needed foam rolling. I love having IRL friends who workout!

Tags
endurance