Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-04-21, 10:09 AM  
Buzzer

ttapp finger and foot fitness... DONE!

I think I bought this one a long time ago when I was doing massage. my feet and hands always hurt, but I don't think I ever did it (if I did, I forgot!). It was good for a rest day, which I was doing today. The finger stretches were nice for the explanation, but I don't need a video for it. They were kinda short too. The foot stretches were really nice, since my feet have been bugging me. They were long, but my feet really needed it. At first I felt like it was kinda overkill, however by close to the end I felt kinda nauseous so I think I needed it a lot. I will remember some of the stretches and do them throughout the day, however I won't go for this workout much.

I can see doing it on rest days or low motivation days. My feet hurt the most of my whole body, so I do need these stretches! I learned a lot, got a good stretch, but would prefer to just do them on my own and do a workout instead. I don't recommend this workout unless you get it cheap and just want pointers on how to stretch your feet and hands.

My feet do feel a bunch better though, which is why I will do this workout on a rest day.

So the lady that does our swim lessons (it's private lessons) changes the schedule sometimes and just figures you'll be good with it. We had lessons at 9:50am, I signed up 6 months or a year ago. I figured that was the time. Well, we get there... she had changed us to 10:40am. She says "didn't you see it in the email?" she sent out a reminder for the lesson times, but I just assumed it was for the time I signed up for. That worked for me. Nope. She just changed it up. That's why I sign up so far in advance... so I can get the time I want!!! So it's this week and next, so although I like that we get an extra hour to sleep, eat, or do whatever, I had to call the violin instructor and rearrange our violin schedule because there's no way we can do a 10:40 lesson in town then go up to do an 11:10 violin lesson 25 minutes away.

I would have made the swim lady stick to the times, but she has people show up one after another and it would have totally messed up everyone. So since it was more of a mild inconvenience rather than a big one, I let it go. Luckily violin could be rescheduled for earlier in the day this week and next. I need to let her know though that we might be back at CC next year and I can't be as flexible with our time!

She did let LB stay and play on the stairs in the pool though, so LB got some extra pool time because of it.

Luckily we have been going to this swim lady for 5 years, so I give her grace and she gives me grace. This kinda pushed my limits though.

Today is filling up fast with swim, dropping stuff off at the shop for DH, homeschool gym, karate, and awanas this evening (last one!!YAY!). I told LB if she wants to do awanas again next year she needs to take on more of it as a responsibility rather than us doing it during our school day. It was more of an inconvenience this year than an asset.

Eventmom: I really think I discounted ttapp before. I just felt like it wasn't doing anything. Now I realize it is doing a lot. I didn't give it much of a chance, expected results quick, was antsy to get back to lifting, and gave up. I was pushing myself into form and really exaggerating everything. I think I just gave you that long explanation becuase you said ttapp wasn't your best workout before a strenuous ride! I never would have agreed before!

Hi Ebianco!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 11:00 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Jaqueline Umoff Barre + 25 min cardio.

I bought this set when she was doing workouts on alo moves, it was when you could buy something and have access to it rather than just paying a monthly fee. It's sort of Tracy Anderson esque but fewer reps. I'm probably going to do these all week.

buzzer - fortunately I did the ttapp after my rides, I never do a workout more than stretching before as I need all my strength! But I won't be doing after a full horse trial any more. I'm still sore. Maybe that means I'm doing it right LOL. sorry about the timing on the swim lesson - I do get it, it's hard to get everything done then when one thing is off everything is thrown off.

hi ebianco!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 03:13 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

I don't know how I got so behind!!

From last week:

Friday-Long outside walk 90 minutes and 15 minute stretch with Madeline Lewis.

Saturday-Cathe Step Boss PHA 3 plus the abs for a 70 minute workout. I loved this one the last time and I still love it!! I had to modify all the plank/pushup moves so it was a little easier than last time, but still definitely a more advanced workout.

Sunday-Outside run/walk and Pure Barre Resistance #4

Mon-Tues-planned rest

Today-Cathe LITE Metabolic Blast the main workout (40 minutes). This one is almost more of a 4-limb cardio; Cathe uses 5# weights for most of the exercises and 8# for maybe 1-2 exercises. It wasn't too hard but still got a good challenge by the end! I was surprised the last time I did this one was August 2020. Have I been on a Cathe kick for almost a year already? Time goes by when you're having fun I guess! I think I'm going to adjust my week to doing a lighter/shorter Cathe workout on Wednesdays, Firm on Thursdays, keep the other days the same. I don't think I'll burn out on Cathe by doing her workouts 2x week.

Tomorrow another BSS-era shorter total body strength.

Eventmom I'm glad the injection helped at least a little bit!

I've been sleeping notably poorly over the last few nights All night I have itchy skin, my shoulder is stiff, and I am too hot or too cold. It's just been terrible. Hopefully it will improve but it seems like each night has been terrible. I'm exhausted by bedtime and fall asleep just fine, but staying asleep has been harder.

Buzzer I enjoy hearing about your Ttapp workouts and your enthusiasm. It sounds like you've really hit a stride! I have made an earnest effort to clean up my diet starting yesterday, really low carb and high quality whole food, but probably won't feel better for a few days.

Eventmom and Buzzer I never did Callanetics consistently enough to feel anything specific, but my knees don't enjoy being in "thigh dancing" position for too long. I have to remember to kneel on my open Firm Zip Trainer (which feels terrific!) but even so, I can only spend so long kneeling anymore.
Old 05-05-21, 03:24 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

jaqueline umoff barre workout #2 + 15 min ta cardio

ebianco - yes thigh dancing, that's a tough one, I sort of hate it so I guess that's why I forgot about it! Our sleep issues are very similar - from what I can glean, waking up in the night could be hot flashes/hormones, gastric reflux, or blood sugar crash (which means you need to eat the right combination of fat/protein/carbs as a bedtime snack, but of course 'right' is what is right for you as an individual) I'm just so frustrated at this point. Hope your diet changes help!

hi buzzer!
Old 05-06-21, 05:15 AM  
Buzzer

ttapp ladybug... DONE!

This is still a tough workout. I was so annoyed at the beginning of this current ttapp journey that a workout called "ladybug" would kick my patootie, however now I am just glad I lived through it!! HA! I am so proud of the way I can now do the exercises leaning back on my arms and my arms aren't tingling as quickly or as bad as they were. I would literally put my hands behind my back and clasp them and they would tingle (like they are falling asleep or nerve tingly). Now when she has you rest your arms and shake them out, I am ready, and not before then!!

I am noticing my shoulder injury from years ago still aching, however I still don't think I am reinjuring it, just perhaps either irritating or working on the scar tissue. It sometimes gets achy enough that I notice it through the day, or have a little ache while I lift up my arm or something, however I am just evaluating as I go along whether it's something I can live with or not. I have always had an inactivated SCM muscle in my neck, which bugs me because it's the muscle in the front of the neck you can see. One is really prominent while the other is just gone. I have worked on trying to figure out if my head is out of alignment or what, and can never figure it out.

Well, I am noticing that now that my shoulder injury is achy, so is that SCM. I think it's related! I think that injury is pulling on the muscles attachment or something, but I'm hoping that if I take care of the old injury and perhaps get the scar to loosen up a bit, my SCM will reactive and work. I never, NEVER made the connection and it seriously has been about 20 years or more since I injured it!

I am not perfect on any of the exercises, far from it, but I am feeling like I am getting into "ttapp stance" more and more. I notice throughout the day that I am trying to stand up taller, and it's like a wave goes through my body when I start to stand correctly. I don't notice my shoulder blades winging out as much from hunching over (which I didn't realize I was doing), and that's pulling my back fat back and away. I think I didn't realize how out of alignment I was! it's crazy. now I am wondering if I was always just hunched over like an old lady with a dowagers hump! HA! The difference in how I feel when I stand is night and day. crazy.

My biceps are always kinda sore like I worked them out, but I think that's where a lot of my tightness was (in addition to my chest and shoulders). I am just grateful to be opening all of that up.

So I am not completely back in alignment, I am doing ttapp intense workouts every other day and see if I lose the "3-4 sizes!!!!" she had written for after doing a 14 day bootcamp. I doubt it. However, if I lose even one size, I will be happy.

I am still enjoying the workouts, and even though my results are different than what I have always had as goals, they are good results. although I am noticing more and more what is out of alignment, what I can't do (like hold my back flat while lifting a leg in table top), and my limitations. Which I guess is good because I am getting a lot more body awareness from this rotation!

Eventmom and Ebianco: I HATE thigh dancing!! I used to force myself to do it, now I do it standing up or at my barre. I have a zip trainer... I am going to have to open it up and kneel in it and see what I think. That's a great idea! I would never get rid of that thing. I don't use it often, but it is so nice for ball work (where you hold the ball) and I did like it as an easier bosu.

Ebianco: Every Cathe workout you write about that sounds good (I LOVE 4 limb aerobics!) I think "Do I have that? I want to do it!" I think the ICE workouts were the last ones I bought because I wasn't doing them. And I haven't done the ICE workouts yet. You're making me think I should have kept getting them!! Although, I probably wouldn't be doing them anyhow!

So sleep, yeah. That's the workout curse right now, isn't it???? ugh.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-06-21, 12:59 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

dancer core (Jacqueline Umoff) + 15 min walking up to the beat fitness

so these workouts are harder than I remember - I'm sure it's because my fitness has suffered from all the medical stuff and taking it easy. But it's sort of frustrating. Also she really does so much ab work, more than enough because it's tough on my hip flexors. But overall I like her and her workouts.

buzzer - I had to look up zip trainer LOL. so it's sort of like a bosu. I've used bosu at the gym in taos but never wanted one at home. the workouts look interesting, kind of cool how it fits together.

hi ebianco!
Old 05-06-21, 01:57 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Checking in today with a BSS3-era Firm Express Total Body Shaping (with Pam again) that I'm certain I've never done before. I was researching shorter BSS-era DVDs and noticed, incredulously, that I was missing the one, so I bought it cheap used on Amazon. Maybe I never picked it up because it's all about the sculpting stick? I pulled out my TransFIRMer step since it's a BSS3 but all they used was the stick, so that was letdown. I don't have the stick but easily improvised with a barbell and weights. Using heavier weights than them, the floor work was tough - lots of squats, plies, lunges. Also some barre-like side and front leg raises - I used a resistance loop to make that a lot harder! Upper body was more spotty, just 4-limb work, and too fast to go heavy but it was okay. I ultimately hit all the upper body muscles. Even with my advanced modifications, it was still a pretty easy workout. But the music was awesome! And it was fun enough. It's still a keeper for a lighter day.

Eventmom I love the zip trainer! I use it as an UGI ball/medicine ball and for the kneeling like I mentioned. I mean I use it nearly every day for the kneeling. It is also used as a step in the Zip workouts, which are good HIIT style but not too much content, but it's fantastic. I've even considered getting a second set for backup for when they inevitably stop making it. It's $40 or so on Amazon and I'm waiting for the price to go down maybe? I've seen it as low as $25. But I may end up picking it up anyway. I don't usually get backup of equipment but I rally love the zip trainer. Very unique piece of equipment. Like Buzzer said it also works well as an easier Bosu!

Buzzer Let me know how you like kneeling on the zip trainer! I used to use a dense pillow (like a sofa pillow) but the zip trainer is even better. It just feels so cushiony on my knees.

It's funny because the Cathe LITE workouts (a little easier even than ICE) were my gateway into Cathe! I wanted something new, different, and easier back when my knee was really bothering me, and now I've branched out into her older more advanced workouts, along with ICE and some of her other systems. They are really fun but I'm sure they're not going OOP anytime soon
Old 05-07-21, 09:33 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp warmup workout 1... DONE! (yesterday)
Ttapp Tempo Torso...DONE!
Ttapp step away the inches...DONE!

So I did the warmup workout, and it was actually better the second time. I think I did some of the stretches in the other warmup workouts and figured them out, and so when I went back to WAWO1, it was easier to figure out what I was supposed to do. I enjoyed it. It was part workout, but mostly just stretch. Lots of foot stretches, and I liked doing them better here than as a whole workout. The stretches were interspersed into the workout so it was more doable. Lots of foot stretches in WAWO1 though!

Today I did tempo torso, because I remembered that was the one I loved so much. I still love it! Lots of twists, which is my weak spot. I need those! They really get my heart rate up and feel really hard to do. I enjoy them, but also don't enjoy them. I really need them. I think that's why I like tempo torso so much! I worked hard! I had time and didn't want to do anything too strenuous so I added on SATI. It was great! I am finding more and more that my tail is sticking out too much, which adds pooch to my belly. When I do heavy tail bone, I can really notice my upper abs activating more. It's hard though. I really fought for form, but didn't fight so hard that it was straining. I just really tried. Many times I found I wasn't stepping, just kinda moving my legs becuase I was trying to get the form so much. It was good, and I can see working up to getting it 100%.

I really need to work on my pelvis placement though! it seems to make all the difference in my muscle activation in my abs when it's in the correct place.
Add that to my list. I am noticing as my upper body pulls into place, I no longer feel like I have oranges behind my arms that I have to occasionally lift my arms and twist to go over to stand up tall. I feel like my arms are naturally pulling back behind the oranges. Hard to explain, but that's kinda how it feels. I am noticing my neck muscles are very tight, my ab muscles aren't as strong as I thought they were, my pelvis is tilted forward so my butt sticks out, and my arms don't go all the way straight so I have to work on my arm flexibility. Also the chest and shoulder tightness that is slowly changing... all of that I am working on for sure. I'll see where I am after I get this all strong and in place!

So I have been Ttapping about a month now, and I am pretty impressed at my alignment progress and my body awareness progress. Not fitting into smaller sizes, barely fitting into my current size still, but with time, right?

I am also sitting in the new massage chair I got for DH for Christmas every day-ish. I goal is every day, but honestly I am getting in there about 4-5 times a week. I call it the "napping chair" because I always fall asleep. I do it twice (2 20 minute cycles for a total of 40 minutes) so I guess I am getting more sleep that way too.

I figure it's moving the lymph also on the back since I do a lot more of my brushing and "slapping" on the lymph in the front. No change in how puffy I am, but it's only been a month. Who knows what's going on in there and how long it'll take to undo.

Ebianco :I tried to kneeling on the zip trainer... I LOVE IT. I can totally do some thigh dancing on that!!! Crazy. I had never thought of that! I love that zip trainer. I got it for free from another VF'er, and I will never part with it for sure!

I worry about things like Cathe going OOP. Just because who would have thought Ttapp would? You just never know. I guess there are probably more Cathe workouts out there than ttapp, so the resale market might be OK and keep it strong. I never would have thought Firm would have gone OOP also. Fitness is a crazy world.

Eventmom: We are getting snow again Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. So ridiculous! This is May! Almost mid May!! Stop with the snow. Let me have spring before we get hit full on with summer!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-07-21, 02:54 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

I was going to pull out Firm Ballroom Aerobics today but was pretty high on energy (the last two workouts this week weren't overly hard and maybe my clean eating is making me feel better?) so instead I went for Simone rebounding plus Youtube Zumba and definitely got my sweat on! Then I did Cathe Stretch Max, the band workout (I used a cloth stretch loop thing) and it was excellent. I liked it better than the no equipment chapter. Overall a 50 minute workout.

Tomorrow will be a Cathe strength and Sunday would be outdoor run/walk and barre, but it is supposed to rain for a week straight, so will probably have to consider another cardio or use the treadmill! But at least I'm not dealing with snow!

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer The zip trainer is so nice on the knees, right?! I am not overselling it!

Your Ttapp results with your alignment sound awesome! That's the kind of attention our bodies need, but is rarely prioritized. Way to go!

I am definitely jealous that you have a massage chair!

I'm sure Cathe will go OOP eventually, but I'm sure she will alert everyone well ahead of time so people can scramble to buy any DVDs. And like you said there are a lot more Cathe than Ttapp DVDs so they shouldn't get to be too pricy. I mean a lot of Firm has been OOP for a while and you can still get many of them for cheap. That BSS3 DVD I just got was only $8 shipped.
Old 05-07-21, 03:08 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

20 min walking and essentrics sculpting (30 min).

I'm have a bad reaction to the gastric reflux medication - made my headache worse and stomach pain (both listed side effects I found out). so frustrating!

buzzer - omg snow in may, my friend in wyoming deals with that, sorry!

ebianco - for $25 I'd probably get a zip trainer LOL even though I'm sure I don't need it.

have a great weekend!