Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-22, 07:38 PM  
YogaGal

I had a good Labor Day weekend, getting the chance to finish some tasks around the house and also have some R & R; we even made it to the pool on Monday evening, which was a welcome relief from the heat.

Over the weekend, DH and I did a recent Kassandra practice, 15 min Morning FULL BODY Yoga Flow.

On Monday I did Kassandra’s new 10-minute Gentle & Simple Yoga Stretch. Before the yoga I did the Lower Body (no finisher) 20-minute mix from KCM’s Power Splits. I used 12# dbs for most of it, and boy did I have DOMS on Tuesday and still today! Surprisingly, it is my quads that are sore and not my hamstrings which is what usually happens for me after an intense lower body workout.

So, after Jessica’s Cardio Interval Abs from 6 Mile Mix on Tuesday, I did Joelle’s Yin Yoga for Legs - 15 min Deep stretches for sore and stiff leg muscles.

Today I did Jessica’s Fit in 15 Upper Body Burn, followed by Joelle’s Yoga for QUAD PAIN RELIEF – 10 Min Yoga for Quadriceps and Front of Thighs Soreness.
Old 09-07-22, 07:45 PM  
YogaGal

Beth: Yes, we closed up our house up north, but DH may go up for a few days next week to do some work. It’s not too much trouble to get it up and “running” again. I have never heard of adding vinegar to cookies! Who knew? Well, you did! Great looking new practice on your channel! I need more strap work as I recently added a new strap to my yoga collection.

Paine: I don’t know if you follow Jessica Smith, but she has two gliding workouts on her youtube channel. This is an old one from December 2013: Cardio Core Fusion Flow, and this is her newer one, CARDIO: Slide + Glide Low Impact, Moderate Intensity. Jessica uses washcloths on a hard surface in the old one and paper plates on carpet in the newer one. Thanks for the link and info on vinegars. I once bought some flavored vinegars at a specialty shop on a vacation, but have since gone back to the standard ones from local grocery stores. Perhaps it’s time to splurge with something different!

cyana: Unfortunately, my bike-riding will have to wait until later in the month when the temperatures drop a bit. Did you order gliders? I need to check out the recent videos on Leonid and Friends’ YT channel!

Margot: Congrats on getting so much painting done. And on fitting in your yoga.

Sandra: I hope you are surviving your intense heat wave. I’m just doing short workouts in the morning. We keep our thermostat at 80-81 during the summer months in Arizona, and lower it to 76-77 at night. Retirement is coming so close for you now! And your weather should be back to normal by then so you can enjoy some outdoor activities.

Margot and Pat and Paine: I’m glad all of you are enjoying Joelle’s practices. At times I like a simple overall practice; but more often than not, I want to focus on a particular body part or issue, like shoulders or back pain or stiff quads.

Pat: I’m glad Joelle’s yoga has been helping your back. Hope it continues to improve. And you have a short week at work, so the weekend will be arriving soon!

To whom it may concern: I was raised a good Southern Girl, but I detest okra. Too slimy for me! But I like almost all other vegetables, so I don’t worry about missing out on one or two.
Old 09-07-22, 08:06 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Just a quick drive-by. Still riding out this evil heat wave. Yesterday was the worst -- in Sacramento we hit 116, which is a new all-time high temp record. The old record of 114 was set almost a century ago! Today it has cooled down to about 108 LOL. We are still being urged to conserve power by keeping A/C at 78 or 80, which for me discourages working out. At least the mornings have been passable enough to get outside for short walks. Looking forward to this weekend when we'll be back down to more seasonal low 90s/upper 80s.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-22, 08:15 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, DH has been telling me the temps in your area. I hope you get through this soon!!!

Carolyn, yay on the new strap! My yoga props are overflowing, haha. I might get back to some KCM sometime soon.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-22, 09:06 AM  
cyana

A quick morning wave.

Yesterday:
Morning stretch routine
HIIT - 10 cycles of all-out pedaling x 60 seconds each

Carolyn - I ordered the sliders and they arrived several days ago - still in the envelope. I have 3 yoga straps. I really like that your strap comes in 3 lengths - which one did you get? I'll be happy to take your lifetime quota of okra!

Sandra - 116 is horrific whether it's dry heat or with humidity!!! We normally have our day time A/C settings around 78, but supplement with ceiling fans.

Pat - Hooray on having an uncrowded beach to yourself again - I'm so jealous!

Yesterday was uncharacteristically slow at work, so I worked on my continuing education and now have everything completed to renew my professional certification that expires in November. I debated over whether to renew it, but I would have the option to work as an independent contractor to my current or other companies after I officially retire, so I thought I'd bite the bullet, since many companies like to see that certification. I also did enough so that I'll have enough credits to apply to my next professional license renewal, as well, so I felt it was a productive day.

Must get back to work - need to send a request to the I.T. Help Desk for something that I haven't been able to fix on my own.

Hope everyone has a good day!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-22, 09:25 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning ladies! Yesterday evening I tried Ellen Barrett's new Core Walk. It was meh. So much marching in place. However I accomplished 5,000+ steps for the day so that was something.

Carolyn, it's good to hear you finally got some R&R - you're always so busy! I see that okra isn't a fave - I think everything I've heard about sliminess keeps deterring me.

Sandra, sending cooling waves your way. That's an awful temperature.

Cyana, hurray on getting your CED credits in. Keeping your certification current seems wise. Who knows what the future holds?

Good morning to Beth, Margot, Pam, Paine and anyone who visits.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-22, 01:14 PM  
Margot

I seem to have caught the insomnia bug and was up at 3 am this morning. I just did some very short gentle practices:

- YoQi 15 minute Morning Rise
- Joelle's Yin Yoga Day 4
- Daisy Lee Wuji Hundun

Beth - Here is the link to Joelle's Hip practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBgfcFExXCc
The move I had trouble with is around 7:50 min.

Carolyn - Thank you for the link to Jessica's older gliding workout. I missed this one. I'm planning on doing it tomorrow morning.

Cyana - Hope you have fun with your new sliders. I love mine, which are foot-shaped with slightly raised platforms that are made just for carpet. With these, I can manage to keep them under my feet. My first pair just kept slipping away from me all the time!

Pat - I didn't care for Ellen's latest class either.

Sandra - Crazy temperatures. Thank goodness you only have a day or two more to get through.

Hi to Paine, Pam and Garrie. Hope all is well with you all.
Old 09-08-22, 01:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Cyana, yay for a slow work day!

Margot, here are a few things I would suggest as variations:
  • stay in the previous pose, moving to the side only within your range
  • do it as an upright lunge near a wall (bent knee side), using your hands against the wall to aid in the twist
  • start the pose side lying with the bottom hip over the floor and step the top foot over (don't need to go as high as Joelle) - keep the bottom hip down or gently press into the hand (you could also be on the forearm) to lift slightly

I hope these ideas help!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-22, 06:14 PM  
YogaGal

Had to leave the house early this morning to drop my car off for service and new set of tires (ouch on the $), so I did a short, but yummy Yoga with Bird: 10 Min Morning Yoga Miracle! FEEL AMAZING!

cyana: Let us know how the sliders work for you when you try them out. I hope to get in a glider workout this weekend. I got the 6-foot yoga strap, which is plenty long for a petite gal like me. I ordered one in turquoise in early July (with a 10% off coupon) so I wouldn’t I need to take one back and forth between two homes. It is very thick and sturdy, and I decided to replace my other strap that I’ve had for years with one of these. In late August I bought the orange one when it was on sale. Getting that professional certification sounds like a smart move as it will give you post-retirement work options. I had to call our I.T. Help Desk last week when my laptop started having some major issues; turned out I need to replace it with a new one, so I’m using a loaner while waiting for that replacement.

Margot: That older Jessica gliding work is fun to do because Peanut keeps trying to grab the cloths she is using and I find it so funny. Around 18 minutes Peanut is gone, presumably in a time out. Your foot-shaped gliders sound interesting; glad they work for you. I know the paper plates never seemed to work well for me and my new gliders slide well on the carpet.

Pat: We really do stay too busy! I blame DH who is always starting a new project before I recover from the previous one. Our next project is a remodel of our master bathroom, and we already ordered a new vanity cabinet, but no demo work yet thankfully. I do hope to get more R & R this weekend and hope you have time for relaxation and back healing also.

Sandra: Just hang in there for another day and you’ll be getting highs in the 80s! We’ll be down in the 90s starting Friday which will be a relief.

Waves to all!
Old 09-09-22, 08:47 AM  
cyana

TGIF!!!

A quick good-morning wave to all. Only got my morning stretching in yesterday. I think the two consecutive nights of major insomnia zapped my energy - hoping to get back on track today.

Hope everyone has a good day!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote