Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-28-22, 03:55 PM  
Jules

Kim - The colors you chose sound so warm and inviting! We based most of our home color choices on nature since we live in the forest. I love looking at all the bold color choices the decorators use on HGTV.

The Jenny Ford Step Across America set sounds fascinating! I must check it out.

DECA is a program that prepares students for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and entrepreneurship. The students compete in several different categories. My daughter made it to nationals with her project last year! This year she is doing an impromptu category where she gets a very limited amount of time to come up with a solution to a business problem and present it to the judges. She also competes in short prep categories in Speech - she is very good at speaking off the cuff.

I actually do not work full time. I did that for a couple of years and it was extremely stressful. I was working in a self-contained special ed classroom at the time, and many of the children had behavior issues. I had nothing left at the end of the day to give to my own family. It was not a good situation. I went to part-time and it has been so much better. I now work 5 hours per day. With the extra drive time to pick up my son from school, I end up with about 2 extra hours per day that I did not have before to exercise, run errands, prep food, do laundry, etc. Gotta have balance in my life!

Workouts

Yesterday I did Cathe's Imax 2 on a 6 inch step and modified many of the moves to lower impact. My heart rate was still up there.

Today I did STS M1/W1 Back & Triceps + Ab Circuits: Weights & Plates. I am sure I will have DOMS tomorrow. I forgot how much I enjoy the back and triceps work in Meso 1.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-22, 06:08 PM  
Malinda

Hi Chicks!

It’s a very rainy, cool Monday here in Central Texas. It’s great napping weather; unfortunately, I am not a cat so I can’t snuggle up with BT and Emmie. They sure are cute all wrapped up around each other, though.

Kim - I should have said that DH weighs our food; I don’t know why I said “measure”! Anyway, we used to count calories so he is used to weighing everything. I’m so happy you love your new paint! Spring green sounds beautiful! It sounds like you are like DH and I -- there are very few walls that are white in our house. Our kitchen and living area walls are light teal, our bedroom is dark teal, the guest bedroom is a pink/salmon color, and the outside of our house is painted turquoise with a white metal roof. Our house definitely stands out in the neighborhood, although there are a lot of older homes in our town that are painted vibrant colors.

Jules - It is indeed great to have a DH that cooks! He has been experimenting with Keto recipes and has made some really yummy stuff. He always changes the recipe up at least a little bit, but he’s mastered Keto crusts so he’s made pizza and beef pot pie in the past few weeks. It sounds like your daughter is a pretty sharp cookie! I hope her competition goes well and that you and the hedgehog are having fun.

Kate - I will keep my fingers crossed that Justin’s radiation and chemo pills don’t cause any serious side effects.

Workouts since last post:

Tue - Morning Meltdown 100 Day 21 Cardio
Wed - Turbo Jam 20 Minute Workout and a Total Body Stretch on YouTube from Mady Morrison
Th - L4 W8 D1 - Chest & Back Circuit
Fri - L4 W8 D2 - Legs 50/50
Sat - 21 Day Fix Cardio Fix
Sun - Rest Day
Mon - L4 W8 D3 - Arms & Shoulders Circuit

One more day of LIIFT4! It’s another Total Body HIIIT and I’m already dreading it because last week’s was so hard. But it should be fun, since it’s the last workout of the program.

I forgot to mention that I sold my car a couple of weeks ago. Since DH and I both work from home now, it seems silly to have two “nicer” cars. We put it on Craigslist for more than what we were willing to take, to give ourselves some negotiating room. Carvana made us a full-price offer! I really didn’t think it was a legit offer, but the next day they showed up with a flatbed tow truck and a check in hand, just like on the commercials! We held our breath until the check cleared the bank. What a crazy world! We plan to buy a used small SUV at some point as a back-up, but for now, we are going to be a one-car family for the first time in our 24-year marriage.

Have an awesome week, everyone!
Old 01-31-22, 07:30 PM  
Mickey12

Jules I think working 5 hours a day is the perfect amount. I’m glad you are able to have the perfect balance. Tell us about your daughter’s hedgehog. Are they like guinea pigs? Are they bigger than that?

Malinda kudos to you for sticking with the LIIFT4 rotation even though you aren’t crazy about it. I definitely don’t have that kind of dedication and I admire you for it. I would have quit. I remember you saying your house was painted a non traditional color. I think that’s great! The outside of our house is light gray. Pretty routine but the door and shutters are slate blue which I like.

And pretty cool about selling your car with caravana. The world really is changing - more quickly than I like, I hate to admit. A couple of years ago we saw a carvana vending machine in Orlando. We were going to our hotel from the airport. It’s a multi story square glass building with cars inside. It’s really a strange site.

Hello to Kate and Linda! I hope you guys are doing well.
Old 02-02-22, 12:29 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hi girls!! So glad to see you are all still checking in. I have to take Justin to radiology this afternoon so will read in the waiting room.

He's doing great, btw. Minimal side effects so far, but this is only week 2 out of 5. Poor kid lost his hair, but he often shaves his head anyway so no biggie to him. He tried to grow a Mohawk but it was pretty thin and wispy yet.

I won't go back over all the workouts I've been doing, but mostly Cathe Lives. Every one is so fun! And no boredom or dread setting in. I guess that shows what a good instructor she is to keep things feeling fresh.
Still meditating every morning, Yoga almost every afternoon.

This week:
Mon: Cathe Live 209 Super Sets. Really good!!! Works opposing body parts, legs are worked twice. Easy to go heavy.

Tues: Les Mills Body Attack #71. This one humbled me. Not because the cardio was hard, but because Lisa Osbourne did the whole workout at 5 months pregnant!! And did not modify much at all!

Today I did Live 315 Cardio Boxing Bootamp 1. I had done #2 a while back and really liked it. This one was really fun too! Alternates kickboxing cardio with gloves, then weighted and band exercises. Legs, upper body, core all worked well. Six rounds of this. Compound moves which I did not mind today, and fairly light weights. I used 5s and 10s and a medium band! Tried going heavier but my form got sloppy.

Life goes on!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 07:36 PM  
Mickey12

Thanks for the update on Justin, Kate. We're all thinking of him and you during his treatment.

I went for a walk at lunch today and then tonight I did Ilaria's Athletica 4. Another new one that I got for Christmas. This one is only 30 minutes, but it's all bodyweight and consists only of burpees, pushups, planks and ab work. There's something about Ilaria, I just love her charisma. The workout, even though it's really hard, was doable. I just took breaks.

Hope you all have a great night.
Old 02-03-22, 02:53 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Today GREAT fun workouts!! I did Live 380 Cardio Upper Core Circuit and 256 Express Plyo Legs & Core. Perfect together. Both circuit workouts. 380 uses moderate weights alternating basic but intense step cardio with double upper body weight work then core. Six rounds of fun. LOTS of reps. I stayed with Cathe on most but did bump up a few times. Mostly upper body focused.
256 was similar. Plyo cardio with some leg work. They really did compliment each other. Only uses 5lb weights to amp up the cardio. Core work at the end was super!

Again a super combo paired together. 380 is 42 min, 256 is 32 so perfect for time.

And if I didn't have enough on my plate, I started an work-from-home part time job managing a website and providing some admin support. They actually approached me through an old boss I had and they still wanted me even though I told them it would be very part time and all of Justin's appointments come first. We'll see. Can always use the extra $$.

Thanks for the kind words, prayers. Justin is truly amazing with all he's been through in his life! Born with congenital heart defects, 5 open heart surgeries, more heart procedures and now cancer. He's so brave!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 06:53 PM  
Jules

Whew! Where did the week go? We got more snow here and my son is still shoveling to make money, but I am super tempted right now to go out and clear off our front sidewalk.

I have had some minor cold symptoms this week and I don't know if it is lingering effects from Covid or something new? I think maybe new because my son had a sore throat and stayed home from school on Tuesday.

My daughter is back from her Speech and DECA tournaments. She took 7th in her category for Speech and got 2 1st place finishes and a 3rd place finish in DECA. She qualified for the international competition for DECA, which is being held in Atlanta in April. We have not decided yet, but she would need to raise some money for sure.

WORKOUTS:

Saturday: Cathe's Rhythmic Step
Sunday: Flexibility & Beyond Hips
Monday: STS M1/W2 Chest, Shoulders & Biceps + Ab Circuits Yoga Abs
Tuesday: Studio Sweat: The Flannel Ride (90's Alternative tracks)
Wednesday: STS M1/W2 Legs + Butts & Guts weighted core work
Today: Yoga Detox 30: Start Where You Are

Malinda: Congrats on completing LIFT4! Do you feel like you got any "results" from your rotation? I guess there is a chip shortage right now so used cars are in high demand.

Kate: You are killing it as always! I am glad to hear that Justin is still being a trooper. I hope the new job is a good fit for you. It sounds like the company is giving you a lot of flexibility, which is awesome!

Kim: I have Atletica 1, 2 & 3. I am in awe of how heavy Ilaria lifts in these! My daughter has an African pygmy hedgehog. They are smaller than guinea pigs and are nocturnal. My daughter's hedgie is a male. They are solitary creatures, so he is content to be alone in his cage. He has a wheel and runs on it every night for a couple of hours. He eats cat food and dried meal worms. When my daughter takes him out of his cage, he usually falls asleep in her lap. When he is scared he puffs up and his sharp quills stick out, but he is pretty used to being handled. He loves chewing on a soft mint stick! Hedgies do this weird thing called anointing where they lick/bite something they like and create a foam that they lick onto their backs. He always does this with his mint stick, LOL. Since they are considered to be exotic animals, only licensed breeders can sell hedgehogs. We had to sign a contract that we would not breed our hedgie. They have a life expectancy of about 5 years.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 08:33 PM  
Mickey12

Jules thanks for the information the hedgehog. Very interesting. He sounds so cute! I just love animals. And great job on your daughter’s rankings in the competition. That’s so amazing for her and wonderful experience.

Cathe’s Rhythmic Step was the very first Cathe workout I ever bought. It’s a fun one!

Tonight I did an old Redbook strength workout I found on VHS at the Salvation Army. It’s pretty basic but is filmed outside in the sunshine. Nice for a dark rainy February day. I have been on a nostalgia kick lately and have been buying old workouts. They’re fun to revisit.

Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old 02-06-22, 03:55 AM  
fanofladyvols

Hey everyone...trying to catch up!

Kate your son is indeed an inspiration...as are you! Praying for him as he completes these treatments.

Jules I was happy to read your knee felt fine. I have had several people share that they almost feel some of the covid symptoms circle back so they have found it necessary to delay resuming their normal routine. Healthy wishes!

Malinda only one vehicle? I couldn't do it. But that's because I like having the option of truck and car. I'd miss our truck for the all the ways we use it and I love the zippiness and good gas mileage of car trips. My friends trying to find used cars say they're hard to find so I'm not surprised you sold yours quickly.

Kim I am drawn to the older workouts as well. I love how I can fast-forward over the opening ads in VHS. When I went to a used bookstore, I was floored how they were buying back not only vinyl records but cassette tapes! So you and I aren't alone in our affinity for vintage!

Reposting from my other check-in: February is a Footloose and fancy free rotation for me. There's a stack of DVDs I'm working through that I may or may not complete this month and thoroughly loving the freedom. I think I need it in a world where people seem so doggone ready to tell you what is best for you (especially when you don't ask!) and treat you differently when you actually enjoy thinking for yourself.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 08:47 AM  
Mickey12

hey Linda! I missed you! Nice to see your post. I like your February Footloose and Fancy Free rotation. That’s pretty much how I exercise all the time! Hahaha . I hate rotations but I admire those who can stick with them. Malinda you come to mind especially with finishing the Lift4 rotation even when you were dreading it. That’s some mighty dedication.

Yesterday I pulled out Christi Taylor Hi lo Heaven. I have been reading the old posts here from back to 2001 and it’s got me very nostalgic. I love Christi’s energy and sweetness. She’s pure sunshine and her choreography is so much FUN! I only did the first section and pretty much got all the moves but section two gets considerably harder.

We’re going to my sister’s house this afternoon for a little birthday get together. I have two sisters who have February birthdays along with mine. It will be nice to see them.

Have a great week everyone!