Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-22, 11:19 AM  
ChelePA

Recovery Process

Posting this in hopes it helps others who have an injury or anything that sets you back on your fitness journey. A little background – I was in a near fatal car accident in May, 2021. Severe left shoulder injury, fractured C7, as well as a shattered right leg that required multiple surgeries and hardware to repair.

My Peloton calendar reminded me that it’s been a year today since I got back on the bike. Those early days weren’t pretty. Scooting my butt up and down the steps since my bike was in the basement and I couldn’t do stairs. My husband lifting me up and clipping me into the pedals so that I could ride for five minutes. Those who know me well, know that cycling has been a love of mine for many years. The joy of getting back on the bike meant so much. I can remember it clearly. It took me months to be able to do those stairs with assistance. Many days I just wanted to give up. Peloton instructors are known for their inspirational quotes. So many have reminded me each day how blessed I am to be alive and have the love and support of family and friends. But one really spoke to me during my recovery process and to this day, it’s my morning mantra. We don’t have to, we get to 😍. So true. It really helps reframe the pain and difficulties along this journey. I’ve made tremendous progress and continue taking it day by day with gratitude ❤️.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-22, 11:43 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Your strength and your resilience, and how dang FAR you've come never, ever cease to amaze me, ChelePA! I remember when you were scooting up and down the stairs on your bottom to ride the bike...just wow! I love that mantra...thank you for sharing!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-22, 11:44 AM  
Mickey12

So very well said, Chele. You're an inspiration for us all.
Old 09-26-22, 12:07 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

ChelePA, Mickey12 said it so well---you are definitely an inspiration!

Our check in group has seen you progress from when your DH posted on your behalf to doing a kickbox workout that others in the group are also doing! So awesome and so proud of you for all your hard work!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-22, 12:29 PM  
Vantreesta

Agreeing with all, you are an inspiration, Chele. I don't read your check in very often but I did follow some in the days when your husband was posting updates for you and occasionally since then. Your recovery has been truly remarkable. Many would have given up but you have been dedicated and persistent, showing incredible strength and courage and resiliency. Thank you for sharing both the ups and the downs through the process. You are a warrior!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-22, 01:25 PM  
Erica H.

Thank you for posting. You have definitely been an inspiration to me with your positive attitude and determination as I have faced my own physical and mental difficulties in these past few years. I have not faced them as well as you have but try to keep you in mind as a role model. Congratulations on your progress. It really is amazing to look back and see how far we've come.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-22, 03:19 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Life is hard and life is unfair. Since we don't know the future or what to expect, it's how we handle those type of circumstances that knock us down mentally or physically, when it happens. Not everyone has such a good attitude when we are dealt with hurdles like that. Each day can be a lesson on how we're going to treat others, in general. If you don't have respect or love for yourself how are you going to be kind towards someone else? ChelePA, thank you for such a reminder! And, Bless you for coming so far on your journey!

PS. Some of my favorite iFIT trainers are indeed an inspiration and great motivator!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-22, 04:54 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

ChelePA, thank you for sharing your inspirational story. You have come a long way. I'm happy to hear you are doing better. I wish you continued progress and good health!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-22, 08:14 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Old 09-27-22, 08:47 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I have read your posts over the past several months and I am always in awe of what you've accomplished with such grace and such a positive attitude. You are my inspiration. I broke my ankle in June and it was nothing compared to what you went through. Congratulations on how far you've come and for being such a positive light for so many of us here.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspirational, restarting