Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-16, 07:19 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Neck-Friendly Pilates Workouts?

Many, though certainly not all, pilates workouts bother my neck. (Yes, I probably have a weak core.)

If you struggle with the same issue, can you recommend any neck-friendly pilates workouts on DVD? I realize we all have different bodies, but your recommendations would still be helpful.

Pilates fusion and pilates-with-toys workout recommendations are welcome, too! I'm not a purist, just a weekend dabbler looking for a fun way to strengthen my core without making my neck mad.

Thanks!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 07:38 AM  
cherimac

Start by not lifting your head. I also found I was coming up too high-the tips of your shoulder blades should graze the floor. Make sure your chin is tucked in and you are not looking up at the ceiling. All those tips helped me so much!

I always recommend Robin Long of The Balanced Life for her Beginners Pilates a Series on YT. I stream Pilates by Lisa but it's paid. You can do a free 10 day trial and check out her beginner tutorials-they're great.
Old 09-27-16, 07:48 AM  
cherimac

As far as DVDs, I think Kristin McGee has a good Beginners Pilates.
Old 09-27-16, 07:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Agree with Cheri, you can keep your head on the mat unless absolutely necessary, such as for the criss cross. You can also put a small playground ball behind the upper shoulder area so the head is resting but the core is engaged. Just be sure the chin isn't jammed in toward the chest. Natural Love, a Pilates instructor who used to post more often, always recommended to her clients they can keep the head on the mat, and she often opted for that herself.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 07:59 AM  
alisoncooks

I have the same issue. My favorite Pilates dvds are:

Do More Pilates Standing (no neck worry here!)
Pilates for Runners - Tarbell

And I just reacquired Pilates for Buff Bones and I think it is good for my neck needs.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 08:13 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Jennifer Kries has a pilates workout made just for you. Pilates With Toys.
Stott has several with a resistance band, circle, and small weighted balls. Total Body Toning with the balls is a favorite.

Mari Winsor said that if you sink your belly and flatten the area between your ribs it will help to hold you up. I don't know if that will help your neck or not. If you lift your head and lower it when it gets uncomfortable, you'll get stronger. Holding a tennis ball or an orange under your chin might help.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 10:03 AM  
cherimac

Also, keep your legs slightly bent and/or lower your feet to the ground. The shorter lever helps you to build core strength. I've been practicing Pilates almost daily since last November and have used~and still use~all these tips. I will say my core is SO much stronger and my back pain/QL pain is gone.
Old 09-27-16, 11:19 AM  
alisoncooks

I also modify a lot - with a yoga block under my head, I still feel many of the moves (like for the Hundred & such). Then, if I feel up to it, I can lift slightly (hover over the block) but don't feel I have to if my neck feels sore...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 11:44 AM  
Garrie A.

Ditto what others have said. I use my mini ball behind my head and neck (a la Physique 57) for some of my Pilates workouts. There was one Australian Pilates DVD I had at one point, and he says that when you do a "sigh" exhale, it lessens the stress on the neck. (The exhale is like fogging up a mirror, or a yogic Ujjayi exhale through the mouth).
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 12:10 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I so have the same issue. I've finally just started to modify all exercises where they have you lift your head - I wonder if it's genetic because my mom has the same exact issue (yes, she still exercises at 85 years old!).

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core strength pilates, favorite pilates dvds, neck friendly pilates, pilates - neck, pilates ball, pilates band, pilates for buff bones