Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-16, 11:05 AM  
cecififi

Have you tried Pilates by Lisa? I took advantage of the 10 day trial (now on) and fell in love. Her stuff is varied and tough. I love it. I am subscribing for one month right now to give it a really good try. I know it's not a dvd.

For DVDs I really like Cassey Ho
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 11:12 AM  
bubbles76

Wow thanks everyone for the suggestions! Does anyone use pilates as their main strength component and just add on other cardio? Or is pilates the add on? If so, how often a week? I'm trying to branch out into more pilates, barre, fusion type workouts to cut down on my aches and pains, but I don't want to sacrifice strength and definition.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 11:39 AM  
Aunt Famous

Hey, Bubbles.

First, you asked for a good introductory video. Michelle Dozois is on Pilates for Dummies, and it may be a good place to start.

Second, I spent about 12 to 18 months doing Pilates as my main strength component -- both mat and reformer -- with fusion workouts as a close second. This was on the heels of working out for several years with a very hardcore trainer, and I just burned out on the really intense stuff. I lost a little strength and looked totally different, neither of which was bad in my situation. My husband of 24 years (who is also my college sweetheart) told me that after I switched to this type of training, I looked like I did in college. Lord, I love that man.

I have recently made Pilates/fusion a secondary component of my training, mostly because I have been fighting middle-age weight gain, which I am trying desperately to stave off. Here is my typical training schedule:

Monday: upper body (typically Cathe) + dance class
Tuesday: lower body (either Pilates or a Cathe lower body DVD)
Wednesday: Ellen Barrett DVD or a Pilates workout
Thursday: total body (typically Cathe, sometimes Pilates)
Friday: spin class
Saturday: spin class + an episode of Gilad Total Body Sculpt
Sunday: dealer's choice, but usually a reformer workout or something stretchy

I adjust as necessary, and switch to Pilates if I am sore or tired. I also aim to walk 12-15K steps per day. As for strength, I have plenty of strength to lift what I need to. As for definition, I look like an athletic and fit hourglass with vastly improved posture. (Even with heavy, heavy training, I never looked ripped.)

Hope this helps.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 11:50 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Wow thanks everyone for the suggestions! Does anyone use pilates as their main strength component and just add on other cardio? Or is pilates the add on? If so, how often a week? I'm trying to branch out into more pilates, barre, fusion type workouts to cut down on my aches and pains, but I don't want to sacrifice strength and definition.
I do Pilates for strength with some barre, fusion, and cardio. My main, daily activities are walking and Pilates.

I have a softer look than when I did The Firm and Cathe but a lean look. My abs are flatter, glutes more rounded, and I have no aches and pains. I had a lot of those before. I am also able to maintain my weight more easily since I'm not as hungry.

I do Pilates by Lisa daily. She's great but not easy. By any means.

At 51, I'm happy with this routine for my health and aesthetics. FWIW, I'm about 5'2", medium-framed and built more like a gymnast. And no, I don't look like a ballerina with Pilates, haha~just a bit leaner version of myself when I lifted heavy.
Old 08-02-16, 11:52 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecififi View Post
Have you tried Pilates by Lisa? I took advantage of the 10 day trial (now on) and fell in love. Her stuff is varied and tough. I love it. I am subscribing for one month right now to give it a really good try. I know it's not a dvd.

For DVDs I really like Cassey Ho
I love, love Lisa. I can't say enough about her. Her stuff is tough for sure. And with the exchange rate(she's in Australia), it cost me between $17-19 per month. But, that's less than barre3 now and I get a new workout each week, two to three blog posts, a weekly rotation, and two challenges per year that come with an e-book with recipes and a recipe plan, if you like to follow that sort of thing.

Lisa herself is responsive to emails and just a doll to work with.
Old 08-02-16, 11:59 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 12:14 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
Cheri, I know how much you love Lisa, but do you know of anyone similar that is available on dvd?
Hmm, I'd like to know also!

When I do pilates consistently, I "feel" at my best. I walk with better posture, my waist and back-area look sculpted and lean. My problem is keeping up with the consistency of it - I tend to reach for walking workouts or weight workouts, the my pilates workouts fall towards the bottom of the list.

I think if and when I ever get to retire, I plan on doing pilates/fusion type workouts in the morning and then maybe doing cardio later on in the day - or vice versa. It's just a dream at this point, but something to aim for, I guess!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 01:04 PM  
Cowgirl32

Supreme pilates. hands down.

MTV Pilates mix.
Old 08-02-16, 01:10 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
Cheri, I know how much you love Lisa, but do you know of anyone similar that is available on dvd?
I truly don't. I think Cassey Ho's DVDs might be similar as I have heard you have to work up to them.
Old 08-02-16, 01:18 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
What's a good pilates dvd for beginners with good form pointers?
Others offered great suggestions, I really love Lara Hudson Pilates workouts, Tracey Mallet is pretty good too and challenging! Another favorite of mine is:

Pilates for Beginners with Kristin McGee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2cgwCQPG18

I'm not new to Pilates and I still use this one from time to time. I love that the DVD is programmable too.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bernadette giorgi, favorite pilates dvds, kathy smith compilations, mtv pilates mix, pilates ball, pilates band