Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-16, 03:24 PM  
lorajc

Whoa ...Pilates Reformer Really Works Imbalances & Questions?

I got my Reformer ou as I wanted something gentler on my spine. I have the Aeropilates 5 cord Reformer from QVC. I just wanted to say that it was brought to my attention recently by a therapist that I have a sway back and I really felt the Reformer working on neutral spine the entire time I was on it. Way to go Pilates.

I do want to know if anyone out here has found it necessary to increase the cord strength on your Reformer by adding red power cords and if you were happy with the decision and kept them. Also were they easy to install? Also springs for your Malibu chair or Supreme Pilates?

Other question is how high does your HR get Rebounding lying down? I find its quite difficult to get mine up there. Is it meant to stay around 120? Just curious if I'm doing something wrong or if I'll improve? Really felt it working my core in neutral spine and it did feel very good for me to lie down and do this with all of my spinal injuries....loved it.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 01:22 PM  
lorajc

Nobody? I know there are peeps out there with Pilates Reformers? Do I kill everyone with my wordiness?
Old 02-14-16, 01:41 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I use my reformer most days of the week for spinal issues. I use enough springs to be challenging but not heavy. Remember, Pilates isn't about building big muscles. The true test of Pilates is to do all the exercises with control on one spring.

If you feel good with what you have don't waste money on more cords. If you have 4 or 5 black cords I can't imagine needing a red one. Maybe a yellow one for shoulder work would be good. I understand that the cords have a one-time stretch, meaning they might get too loose. When they stretch out you should retie them underneath the carriage. They should be fine after that until they wear out.

Good luck. The reformer helps with a lot of things if we use it. Keep going and see what happens. I've been using mine for over 15 years.

Because of my spinal problems, rebounding standing or lying is bad for me. I tried it once lying down and will never try again.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 05:30 PM  
Stephanie_B

It works for me too. Like LuvCritters says it's not about as many as possible cord wise. It's better also to maintain control over your muscles but not be tense. That is hard rebounding, but it can be done.

I have the four spring Aero because I loved the rebounder with the five corded machine AND I didn't like the looks of the Stott (I wanted wood) I choose that. I have DDD, DJD, grade 2-3 spondylisthesis, osteopenia, scoliosis (which everyone has to a degree IMO), herniated discs, broken spinous processes and this all causes bad sciatic pain and then in addition plantar fasciitis. All that pissed me off to the nth degree when I was diagnosed. But I stopped ALL EXERCISING and listened to my physical therapists. It was a long and tediously boring six months of my life. I mean I did Kettlebell, yoga, and from Firm to Cathe. I rebounded for years but stopped after I got PF because every time I gave me a flare up for weeks, shoes or not.

I can't rebound vertically any more as of now. It could change. It could not. I do it with control of pushing down in the Aero rebounder. My PT, pain management physician and neurosurgeon all say it depends. Everyone is different. Some people with PF and broken vertebrae run marathons. Others are bedridden. And surgery can fix my structural damage, but won't necessarily help the pain and could make it worse. I know I've gained strength and ROM as my PT I went to this January measured and said so. He was impressed with all I've done and I've got a ways to go. My back and hip pain is a hell of a lot better. I can reach behind me. Anyway I wish you luck and I know it will work.

Also as an aside Ellie Hermann's book is expensive; but, you'll never need another.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 05:49 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Stephanie - we're almost twins! I have everything you have minus the broken spinous processes and osteopenia, but also severe arthritis in the facet joints and Spondylolysis, which is broken pars interarticularis. Pilates keeps me out of surgery, like you. We're a mess! I have a Stott because it was on sale with free shipping. Thank goodness I bought it when I did because I sure can't afford it now.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 06:03 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
Stephanie - we're almost twins! I have everything you have minus the broken spinous processes and osteopenia, but also severe arthritis in the facet joints and Spondylolysis, which is broken pars interarticularis. Pilates keeps me out of surgery, like you. We're a mess! I have a Stott because it was on sale with free shipping. Thank goodness I bought it when I did because I sure can't afford it now.
Linda it is annoying to get older and have this crap, but beats the alternative I suppose. One thing that made my decision harder was the tower you can add to the Stott.

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 02-14-16, 07:47 PM  
lorajc

Stephanie - Will you kindly tell me what your PT has told you to concentrate on as far as workouts? I also have severe spinal problems that require surgery. Mine started out as a 3 level disc herniation....and I was just in a serious car accident on Halloween, fractured 9 ribs, chipped 2 vertebra, and herniated some thoracic vertebra.....then my 3 level disc herniation in my cervical spine has deteriorated over time and also I don't know if the accident contributed to this but my 3 levels have all spondylolisthesed onto each other ....each level jutted out over the other, and there are compression fractures at each level with 10% loss of disc height and I also have facet problems at C7 and down in my lumbar spine with more disc herniations....in other words.....my spine is mangled. The NeuroSurgeon wants me to have surgery for the 3 level in my neck.....but I don't want it. I live in a small city where the doc's are clueless about exercise....so I was curious about your therapist. I went to a PT last year ...prior to the accident and he didn't even know what kettlebell's were!!

Oh...and I have a 5 cord machine with red, black and yellow cords....but I already had extra red cords that I had purchased when I had a 3 cord machine. I just think I may like it a bit more with an additional red cord....as the newer 5 cord machines have blue cords, which are harder than the "red" cords.

Also, nobody mentioned how high the HR gets rebounding lying down.

I thought rebounding lying down on the Reformer would be good for the spine? no? Also, if I think it feels like too much pressure....should I just lighten up my cords? even if it says to use...so many cords?
Old 02-14-16, 08:20 PM  
Stephanie_B

Lorajc that would be hard. I went three times a week for a little over six months. It started out so simple with just pelvic tilts using your butt muscles and progressed. I had to use a hand bike every single time working up to fifteen minutes, which doesn't sound hard...but OMG maintaining excellent posture whilst doing it is VERY difficult for me still. They had me use various strength training equipment there for all the muscles around the thighs and knees and in addition my homework focused a lot on that too. Lots of band work from different angles and different intensities working up from there. I used and still use a Swiss ball for lots of things.

I really can't prescribe anything either because well obviously I'm not a therapist, but even so you go there long enough...you meet patients with the same or worse issues, especially because you are there all together usually every other weekday and some did the same exercises as me, some completely different and a lot drop out because it is mind numbing for me and for others too hard or they wanted to go from barely able to stand to P90X.

Personally, I'd go back or drive to another place farther. I have been through three different sets of therapists and the one I agreed with in theory (she was more yogi based and VERY credential'd) didn't do squat for me honestly. That was the four months in 2011. Another I wasn't ready to commit...I just was bored and knew inherently what I felt I knew I should do so I wrote it off. This time I said pretty much no matter what I'm going. I knew they were the therapy group of several sport times and our local, huge, high school as well as other "celebrity type" endorsements so the problem was me.

I don't know if that is your mindset or not, but even if it helps one person. Go to therapy, commit to the prescribed time, and DO THE MINIMUM homework (mine was twice daily but if I missed a time I didn't beat myself up).

But mine did have kettlebells. The yogi one didn't, she had reformers and lots of fun toys!

Old 02-14-16, 08:22 PM  
Stephanie_B

Oops my heart rate ranges from 118-132 on the rebounder. I use two, then one or three (I don't have five cords I have four springs) then reverse, and always end with two. Now these could be two standard, one light, one heavy or what ever. Mix it up!

I absolutely can't run, and hate it, but on my treadmill my heart rate usually is up to 125 and fairly consistent.

Old 02-14-16, 09:33 PM  
lorajc

Stephanie - I wouldn't want you to prescribe.....I was just curious what they really said about Pilates.....and exercise in general. Guess I should have been more specific. What did they tell you to avoid ....was good for you as far as exercise....etc. That's all. I guess you are saying that your Reformer is Excellent for your spine....so I guess I should get on mine more often....like I'm planning! That and walking from what I've been reading online.

Tags
aeropilates, pilates band, reformer