Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-15, 06:38 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Right! I don't like baggy pants on men. Rob Glick comes to mind. That flapping distracts me.

Also - GRRR - women's long pants that are too short. If they're long and flared, no ankle should show. I remember a Pam Cauthen Firm workout where her flared pants were about 2 inches above her ankles. She looked like Captain Kirk. I can see her stepping onto the incline TransFirmer and the shortness of the pants at that angle looked very odd.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 06:45 PM  
aquakat

Jessica Smith's outfits are my favorites.
aquakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 06:58 PM  
kas97

In one of Leslie's Walk Diet walks, there is a background girl whose pants are so low that I stared the entire workout and have not been able to do it again.

What about those awful outfits in Tracy Mallett's old workouts? They were like palazzo pants, but shorts. Hideous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPPB1Pw0gtU

I agree with others that Jessica Smith always looks great, style wise. I prefer tanks and capris myself.
kas97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 07:03 PM  
cpcathy

I enjoy Tracy Anderson's workouts, but her pants are soooo low. She even has to pull them up during one of her workouts. I'm on a Zumba kick, and I like their colorful outfits, pants never too low, tops never too small.

I remember Kathy Smith wore a sweater twinset in her Latin Dance DVD. A twinset! Are you going for high tea or are you instructing a workout, Kathy!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 07:21 PM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

Let me 1st start by saying, who am I too judge,lol! You should see some of the numbers I come up with, ha, ha, so wear what you like, but with that said, I am not a fan of:
1) overdone makeup on instructors. I prefer a more natural, healthy,fresh look. It's work out time, not working it time so keep it simple
2) I don't like tank tops that are fitted/stretchy at bust and shoulders yet have looser creases ,folds and rising occurring thru waist. It is a common effect in bra tank top active wear and I hate the look.
3)I prefer if outfits of instructor and background exercisers aren't exact. I like them to "go together" as a group, you know flow with their look, not match perfectly,lol.
4) I like Sylwia's , Pop physiques girls more creative looks that are a tad risque, fun without being obscene. I prefer when clothes whatever the choice just fit. Leg inseam, boobs stay in, glutes stay in either way top or bottom and constant adjustments not needed to be made
5) I prefer if instructor takes a second to towel off sweat, seeing them spray sweat every where doesn't make me feel like its a tougher workout, it makes me think, I am glad I am not standing next to them in that class. I get the workout is tough because well, it is, not because of sweat spray
Hopefully I don't sound too negative or judgey, really do what you like!
bjammin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 07:25 PM  
yaya

As mentioned, super low rise pants. Rob Glick had an old workout where all his background exercisers were wearing super, super low rise pants. He said "Look at my girls...aren't they pretty?" And I was thinking "not in the least! Yuk!!"
Old 03-17-15, 08:19 PM  
PrairieGem

Great thread! I actually enjoy the clothes in workout videos; wearing cute (not necessarily Athleta catalogue cute, but I mean bright, colorful, cheery) workout clothes is a big motivator for me personally, and it's fun to work out with instructors who are also dressed cheerfully. It also helps me remember what workout I'm doing ("Oh, yeah--this is the one where Cindy wears the yellow top. That means mountain climbers!").

That said, a couple things are turn-offs...
1.) Instructors/cast who seem to have forgotten they were going to be on TV. I get wearing something comfortable, but sloppy, dirty, old, stained? Really? You couldn't bother to show up for work in professional attire? The worst offender here is Jillian Michaels in 30 Day Shred. She wears a ratty old pair of sweatpant capris WITH A HOLE IN THE WAISTBAND! (Also, the crazy-print pants she wears in her new set are kind of distracting...and I kind of like them at the same time. LOL)

2.) Instructors wearing things that I would find uncomfortable. Call it a mirror neuron thing, but if you're wearing loose, baggy clothing, I'm going to feel like I'm wearing loose, baggy clothing, and I can't work out like that. This is a major reason I can't try Zumba--those outfits look awful--pants you could trip over, way too many unzipped jackets flapping around... I know it's part of the "mood," but it just does not work for me at all! There's also something Alison wears in one of her Firm Express workouts--a cropped T-shirt with a really wide neckline. I keep wondering what happened to her bra and worrying that the top is going to slip off. If I were wearing that, I'd be way too distracted to get anything done.

3. Clothes where you can't see the form well. This is probably the only significant/legitimate complaint that I have. I tried a barre workout (it might have been Pure Barre?) where the instructors were wearing black pants and black socks and working out in front of a black studio wall, and I just couldn't see what they were doing AT ALL! In cardio or weights it's not such a big deal, but in barre when tiny adjustments of form have a major impact on the quality of the workout, yeah. I Joni-O'd that one and never looked back.

4.) Male instructors where you see too much.
My DH is a pop culture blogger and just covered cosplay at a Con... his major comment was, "Guys, if you're dressing like a superhero [ie, in tight spandex], you have to wear a cup!!" I have a Gaiam foam roller video, and the camera operator must have had a crush on the instructor, b/c there are a lot of... uncomfortable closeups. You know foam rolling--lots of movement around the hips/IT band? Didn't need that many closeups... for that long... yeah.
Old 03-17-15, 08:32 PM  
slinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjammin13 View Post
1) overdone makeup on instructors. I prefer a more natural, healthy,fresh look. It's work out time, not working it time so keep it simple
Oh, yesh, makeup .... l ordered Kelly's HGI dvd, she's wearing makeup never thought l would see that day .. a few of Leslie Sansone's newer ones have makeup too why
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 08:50 PM  
dmlarue1

I am very much a prude! I didn't like Ravi Anas DVD at first because I didn't know why Ana had to wear short shorts with a crop top.
I prefer just regular tank tops and regular size shorts or capris with regular waistbands, not cut across your pelvis. I feel that way you can see what you need to, but don't have to be exposed to a ton of skin.
I am this way in real life too. I just don't feel the need to show a ton of skin all the time, and even if my stomach was rock hard (its not lol!) I have never liked stomach shirts and crop tops.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 09:11 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

In a word - modestly! I don't want to worry about someone's wardrobe malfunctions during a workout.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor clothing, what instructors wear, workout wear