Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-15, 03:35 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

How do you like an instructor to dress for a video workout?

It dawned on me today that one factor that decides whether I like an instructor or not and a workout or not is the way the instructor is dressed. Here's what I like.

Women
Tops: I'm fine with almost anything. My preferred look is a form fitting tank top style. I feel uncomfortable if the instructor is wearing a bra style top that appears too small.

Bottoms: My preferred look is fitness capri style pants or leggings. I don't mind shorts either. I'm not a fan of shorts that resemble underwear. Thank goodness the era is over of thong leotards over tights or workout shorts. All I see in that look is a wedgie.

Men
Tops: Form fitting but not too tight athletic t-shirt or tank is preferred. I'm not a fan of an oversized shirt or no shirt at all.

Bottoms: I prefer longer shorts. Slightly shorter shorts are fine if there's a compression short underneath. I have bad memories from my days at the gym in the 90s with guys, short shorts and the adductor machine. Long pants are okay although I tend to think the instructor might get hot.

And my final pet peeve is long, black compression socks. My inner fashionista can not abide by this look, no matter how functional or practical.

What about you?

I'd like this thread to stay focused on personal likes and dislikes and not on any instructor's actual body.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 03:41 PM  
bubbles76

I think I can deal with most anything except for the following:
  • Sheer, sheer tops. Think Ana Brett in that one kundalini yoga dvd
  • Workout skirts. I don't know why, just don't like them.

I can get over it if the workout is good enough. But these are just pet peeves.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 03:51 PM  
deineira

I'm probably a fan of the more modest end of the spectrum. Like Cathe or Terri Walsh. You can see that they are fit and lean, but there's not a lot of skin. Cathe has particularly dressed more modestly as she has gotten older, which I respect. That being said, Sylwia is on the skimpier end for me, but her outfits don't bother me.

For guys, most of the guy instructors I follow dress pretty modestly as well, like Hamelin D'abell or Patrick Goudeau.

My bigger pet peeve is instructors whose hair is always all over the place and it impacts their ability to do their workout. Bizzie Gold comes to mind.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 03:52 PM  
Southern Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
[*]Workout skirts. I don't know why, just don't like them.
I agree.

I don't like men to be shirtless or have shirts open to their belly buttons, unless it is Shaun T.
Southern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 04:14 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
And my final pet peeve is long, black compression socks. My inner fashionista can not abide by this look, no matter how functional or practical.
This made me LOL and immediately think of Bob Harper.

The clothes don't bother me but I do notice when someone is wearing such teeny tiny little shorts that they are constantly adjusting them (Chalene in CLX comes to mind but there's others). It makes me wonder if it was their choice to wear them or they were recommended to. They just seem so uncomfortable!
Old 03-17-15, 04:16 PM  
slinks

l don't mind short shorts, so long as l can't see the cheeks and form fitting tank tops ..

l prefer mid length bike pants and firm fit tanks - l don't own many men run dvds but most of the guys in the dvds as background exercisers seem dressed okay .. except in a few of Jari's

l do own a few Gilad workouts, he wears bike pants and looks good, l don't think many men can pull it off - l do think l would prefer it if men wore shorts and firm fit tanks too .. l have seen clips of shirtless men, l don't think it would be my style to own something like that .. l have never really thought about it ..

l will probably get blasted for this comment but l don't like how Sylwia Wiesenberg dresses

ETA: the 2 above posts were posted while l was writing this
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 04:17 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I'm good with anything that doesn't reveal body cleavage. Don't wanna look at any cracks or crevices, be they boob, butt or...anywhere else.
Old 03-17-15, 04:35 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I remember an old Crunch workout - although not which workout it was - where a background exerciser's pants were so low and I was so distracted by them that I couldn't go on. Umm. Not necessary or appropriate.

I don't pay much attention to clothing unless it really sticks out. I remember Kathy Smith wearing something bright red or something and I hated it.

I do prefer that an instructors boobs not be ready to fall out and I'm not a fan of seeing total cleavage when she bends forward. (I've been doing a lot of Firm lately. )
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 04:38 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I remember an old Crunch workout - although not which workout it was - where a background exerciser's pants were so low and I was so distracted by them that I couldn't go on. Umm. Not necessary or appropriate.
You and I must be thinking about the same video. I kept thinking the poor woman's pants were going to fall down around her ankles.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 04:51 PM  
NorthernStar

I don't mind shorts, and I don't mind short tops, but I'm not the biggest fan of them together. I never thought about this until I did 21 Day Fix, Autumn often wears them together and it seems like not enough. Don't get me wrong, she looks great but it feels skimpy.

Other than that, I don't have a preference. I wish I had some more stylish workout gear myself!
NorthernStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor clothing, what instructors wear, workout wear