Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-17, 11:59 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

If you really want variety and props in Pilates, Stott has two Pilates with Props DVDs where a circle, a band and two small toning balls are used. I haven't broken down and bought these because I know I get annoyed with too much equipment in one workout, but they are tempting. This is a newer Stott video and Maura is more relaxed than in her early ones. Plus she shares the lead with John, another instructor and they banter a bit. The set is a nice and bright studio. Volume 1 is at level 1 out of 5 and Volume 2 is at level 2. Amazon has clips. This is an English and French DVD (Stott is in Montreal) and one of the clips for Volume 1 is the French dubbed version. Same clip.

Stott has a bunch of DVDs with props, though some may not be as entertaining as you'd like and some are advanced or aimed at instructors. I like her Matwork Flow With Weights and her Total Body Toning with two 20-minute toning ball routines. I have done studio Pilates for over 15 years so I have no trouble with following any Stott I've tried. If anything, she can slow things down with too much instruction. She's not the most popular Pilates instructor on VF by a long shot but, probably because of my background in studio Pilates, I like her.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-17, 10:51 AM  
Castella

Just chiming in to say I really love the pilates ring. This, along with basic dumbbells and a good mat, is equipment I have not regretted purchasing. I use it probably twice a week, primarily for legs. I much prefer using it to using a ball (ball always felt uncomfortable and tweaked my knees, probably I didn't have the right size ball but again...I don't want to have more than one inflated ball hanging around taking up space). The ring is space efficient and effective. I have a nice one from Amazon with the pads on the outside and inside.

I have not found any workouts other than Voights with the ring that I like. Her workout appeals to me because of the length (I just can't get on board with most 10-20 minute Pilates workouts) and the number of reps. Not a high rep person, but for these movements to work, you need them and the other workouts I have typically do 8 to 12 reps leaving me underworked or with the not appealing option of stopping and doing more reps on my own.

The only other thing I want from the ring is to be able to move the pads, so the ring stays...ring-like and doesn't always get compressed just in one place. Not that I've bent it out of shape, it would just be a nice option but probably expensive to add.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-17, 11:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
I love Lara's 10MS stability ball workout, and all her 10MS pilates workouts. Her more recent one with the long band is pretty intense too. I would love to see another one from her. Especially using the pilates ring!
Lara leads the weight watcher's pilates ring DVD. i got this one from a weight watcher's meeting room - i'm not a member, but they were more than willing to sell it to me.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 08:17 AM  
bonbon

Pilates By Lisa as some really good and tough ring workouts!!
bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 07:23 AM  
Elsie

I was planning on buying a ring last year as I would like it to help me out with hip stability (I have a tilted pelvis), but I ended up getting so confused about the right size to get that I just gave up!! I've noticed since even more workouts on youtube using it.

Any tips regarding which one is best for people over 5ft7inches?

Thanks.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates band, pilates circle, pilates circle challenge, pilates ring