Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-12, 09:17 AM  
lorajc

Rec's for Good Core Routines, Etc.

Just came from my pain appt and he recommended core focused workouts, light weight workouts (like barre, TA, etc) and yoga for about 3 months due to my recent exacerbation of condition (car accident June 8th...and reinjure of cervical disc and facet/spur problems).

I'm going to take his rec's a step further and add in some rehab dvds, in the likes of JB Berns and the Beachbody one (that's all that I can think of for now....and does the Egoscue one count).

I'm counting on my VF family to give me some great rec's to keep me motivated for this period.....since I was really getting into my Met RX program and I love to lift heavier weights and I'm going to have to shy away from that for now!

This is a way for me to pull out what I have and maybe spruce up my collection with a few new items!

Also....if anyone wants to trade anything:

I have yet to start an official page....but I have these:

New York City Ballet workout
Bob Harper Total Body Transformation
10 Pounds Down Extreme - lightly scratched
10 Pound Slimdown - original program
Tae Bo Power
Brook Benten's Yoga Burn
Beach Babe Tone it Up with Karena & Katrina x2
Polestar Pilates Allegro Reformer
Core Rhythms - Salsa Blast
Amy Bento KB2 - disc has the error where it won't ff ...I think that's the problem

Thanks in advance!!!!!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 09:45 AM  
PeakFitness

Ana Caban Pilates Abs Workout
Old 07-17-12, 11:08 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

V-Core is very core focused and rehabilitative. Not everyone's cup of tea, either.

Also, Gorgeous Core and Jill Miller's stuff--her Quickfix and Coregeous, etc.

Personally, my rehabilitative stuff is Classical Stretch and Essentrics. Love it--I add in walking and a little upper body work and I'm good.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 11:47 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Is there a reason he didn't give you physical therapy? I currently restarted physical therapy where we are doing targeted stretches and pilates exercise to address lower back issues. I have to admit, the one-on-one work has been very effective - I get much more strength training and very little bad side effects (usually tension in my neck) than when I did core work by myself. Also, I feel like we developed a program tailored for me rather than a video for a general audience.

In your case, the re-injury leaves you with much more at stake - both for gains, and problems. If it is possible (money/insurance and time) I feel like you should try to get into pt and get professional help for a while.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 08:20 AM  
lorajc

I've had PT severa times for the same injury. I don't think my insurance will pay any longer

Maybe I should get out my Reformer, as it's more rehabilative than my Malibu Pilates that is currently out.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 04:22 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I've had PT severa times for the same injury. I don't think my insurance will pay any longer

Maybe I should get out my Reformer, as it's more rehabilative than my Malibu Pilates that is currently out.
I hear ya on the insurance issue. The Reformer would be great, but do you think it would be possible for you financially to do some private sessions at a Pilates studio? I once went to a Romana Pilates studio and they had a 6-session package at a discount, which made it possible for me to do private sessions (I was making $10/hr at the time, so money was tight.) Or, even taking a group class from a certified instructor would be good - when I first took pilates, it was in a mat class - my injury was more active at the time, but that instructor was awesome.

I'm all about home exercise, and you are pretty body-aware. I just also feel like sometimes, a little coaching can be very valuable too.

Good luck to ya, and let us know how you are doing...
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, core strength