Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-17, 06:36 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Exercise helps your back

Running and Walking May Be Good for Your Back

"Now we have data that a regular exercise program strengthens human discs and is probably the most effective means of treating many cases of back pain caused by weak or damaged discs (Sports Med, 2016;46:473–485)."

Do you think your back has been helped by regular exercise?

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 06:59 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
Running and Walking May Be Good for Your Back

"Now we have data that a regular exercise program strengthens human discs and is probably the most effective means of treating many cases of back pain caused by weak or damaged discs (Sports Med, 2016;46:473–485)."

Do you think your back has been helped by regular exercise?
YES. Yes, yes, yes.

The ONLY thing that has kept my back in good shape is exercise.

I had some real trouble with my back about 20 years ago. I went to the chiropractor once a week for six weeks. She did adjustments, put me on that wonderful machine that massages the back.

But she gave me a list of stretches and told me that I could prevent any recurrence if I got enough exercise (I had been a runner and swimmer but had stopped all exercise for about three years). I started walking regularly, found the FIRMS, and a few years later found T-Tapp.

I now keep my back in good working order with T-Tapp and Classical Stretch.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 07:24 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Not all exercise helps my back, and running is one of them and so is rebounding. I like rebounding but it seems to aggravate my lower back. I do find however, that pilates, yoga and strength training helps me a lot.
Old 06-19-17, 07:52 AM  
wendug

Of course exercise is good for your back! If I spend too much time being sedentary my body definitely feels it; it's like my muscles feel compressed (trying to find a good descriptor and this keeps popping in my head- hey it's early!) Our bodies are meant to move. Exercise keeps your mind and body in check. So yes, exercise is good for your back as well as your whole body! You just have to find what exercise works for you!
Old 06-19-17, 09:58 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I haven't faced any significant or ongoing issues with my back, thank goodness, but I will say that Classical Stretch makes my back feel AMAZING.

I haven't found walking or running specifically to be particularly beneficial or detrimental to my back.
Old 06-19-17, 06:02 PM  
marki64

I sit a lot at my job and my back in the past few years has really been tight and achey. I feel much better if I workout regularly. I think weights, pilates and proper stretching has really made a difference. I have to say really working the hips and glutes has been the best. KCM has some great hip & glute floor work, especially when she uses bands. Split Sessions has a goodie floor routine. I also have really learned to be aware of tightening my core when I exercise. Tuck jumps are the worse for me with my back. I don't do them anymore.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 05:34 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Of course exercise is good for your back! If I spend too much time being sedentary my body definitely feels it; it's like my muscles feel compressed (trying to find a good descriptor and this keeps popping in my head- hey it's early!) Our bodies are meant to move. Exercise keeps your mind and body in check. So yes, exercise is good for your back as well as your whole body! You just have to find what exercise works for you!
You've got that right!! I have a sedentary job and it makes my body feel tired and achy. My husband locates utilities and walks a ton. He never understood until just a month or so ago, when he was promoted to the trainer position and spent an entire day inside sitting down as he now has a desk...guess who was complaining about being tired and achy then? lol. He's lucky his classroom portion is small and the field portion is much longer.
Old 06-20-17, 05:38 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

It seems to go back to "If you don't use it, you lose it."

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 07:28 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

There was a story on CBS Evening News last night about a study that showed that yoga classes (these were specifically designed for people with back issues) were as good as physical therapy and both of those were better than just pain meds.

Surprise, surprise.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates band