Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Vendor Comments/Reviews

Old 05-25-23, 01:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Synchrony credit card

Wanted to share a tip with anyone who has a Synchrony credit card. I have a Sam's Club MasterCard that is actually managed by Synchrony. I'll be describing a tip related to getting replacement cards.

Our credit card was compromised this past Monday and Synchrony put the card on hold after I called them. Synchrony actually texted me saying there were suspicious transactions and showed the last 3 charges, 2 of which were fraudulent, and 1 was legit.

I tapped the link which dialed a number but hung up, opting instead to call the customer svc # on the back of my card.

In order to send you new cards, they want you to go thru a validation process that includes taking a video of your face and scanning the PDF417 code on the back of your ID (i used my driver's license). This code is more than just a barcode - it has a lot of random dots and marks in it.

That last requirement - scanning that code with your phone camera - would not upload. It gave me around 5 chances, then said they couldn't validate the code and they would send me a letter via USPS mail.

DH and I went down to Sam's club. I'll skip the details there - the manager was really nice and called a number, but essentially they gave me a website where i'd have to attempt the same process - video of myself, then the code scan.

At home, I tried again, and after getting it rejected a few more times, I decided to take the photo farther away from my ID. by going too close, somehow the image was too blurry for their technology. It looked fine to me! I was following their instructions - there's a short tutorial that you watch beforehand.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 03:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I just saw this. Good grief, taking a video of your face? That seems so invasive.

Thanks for the tip.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-23, 02:21 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I had to go through this process for the Real ID license. I wouldn’t do this for a credit company. Period. Way more information than they need, IMHO. Yes, I will wear my tinfoil hat proudly.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-23, 03:40 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

there was no way around the video. even when i went into Sam's club and spoke to the CS lady. the credit card is a separate company, so Sam's has no control over it, nor can they photograph you and provide that to Synchrony.

quite honestly, the video doesn't provide any more assurance, right? i had to provide my driver's license, and i guess you can compare the two to corroborate.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote