Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-24, 07:44 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Is Anyone Tired of Squats?

I know squats are good for me and I feel like I need them but I'm just so tired of doing them. For some strange reason plie (did I spell that right?) squats don't annoy me as much but the standard ones - ugh. Doing them at a slow(er) pace is just tolerable. I did one of Cathe's older workouts the other day and it felt like lightening speed and I thought, nope, not doing it. Is there a benefit to doing them so fast?
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-24, 08:22 PM  
Gams

Yes - you get them over with faster!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-24, 08:59 PM  
Leonana

Not so much squats, but I’m over backwards lunges.
Old 01-23-24, 09:17 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I never used to feel this way but now I dread squats. I much prefer wide plies even though squats are probably better for me. I don't like doing squats or wide plies fast, I'd rather go slower.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-24, 10:58 AM  
warriorprincess

To be fair, I don't think I've ever liked squats or lunges. They require so much effort. But I know they're worth it. What I really dislike are warmups with squats and lunges! No, no, a warmup is supposed to get me ready to be able to do squats and lunges.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-24, 11:43 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Not so much squats, but I’m over backwards lunges.
I agree with you on this one, and yes warmups are full of them as well as squats. I also like to go slower when doing any lower body exercise.
Old 01-23-24, 01:08 PM  
prettyinpink

I don’t love squats, but I need to do them anyway. There are so many kinds, so you can find a version you dislike least. I do more goblet squats and one-legged versions than I do of the suitcase squats with dumbbells by the side.

I no longer do workouts with “speed squats” LOL. I don’t think there is a point to that and you can’t go as heavy that way, anyway. Maybe if you want to look at them as a power-building move, but I’d rather do jump squats or speed skaters or something else for power. I also can’t stand air squats, those warp speed partial squats, that Cathe and others like to do for warmups and cardio.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-24, 01:49 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

I grew tired of doing the plie squat pulses in the Jessica Smith fusion workouts. They are incredibly excessive and I have just lost my stomach for them. They are in her new AAP workouts too. I don't think I am going to renew. Her workouts hurt my back and knees.

I have been doing old school workouts and don't mind the regular squats because they are slow and controlled and not excessive.
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-24, 02:45 PM  
ChelePA

Plie squats have always been tougher for me. I dread lunges these days. Post car accident. But I realize they are important to help with my strength and mobility.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-24, 02:55 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I would rather do fewer squats with heavier weights. The endless reps make them seem to last forever. I also prefer plie squats to front squats, but with a barbell behind my head. My least favorite squat is narrow squats, as it just isn’t comfortable to me to have my feet that close together.

The exercise I am really tired of it DEADLIFTS. Cathe does them endlessly, in all variations, for upper and lower body.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dread factor, lunges, plie squats, squats