Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-23, 08:14 AM  
Demeris

Both Jessica Valant and The Girl with the Pilates Mat have short, gentle, but effective workouts on youtube. Both women are encouraging, upbeat, and down to earth.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-23, 09:34 AM  
BunnyHop

I find that my days get off to a better start if I do some simple stretches and exercises before I even get out of bed.

The fitness class I've been taking is all about rebuilding strength from your toes up, so I start with wiggling my toes and getting my foot and ankle muscles limbered up. It's easy, non-traumatic, and fairly quick, but it makes a big difference for me. Once I've done that, my instinct is to keep going until I've warmed up and limbered up from head to toe. From there, it's so much easier to get in some actual workout time.

Another thing I like to do is simply ease into the day with a gentle bit of movement. Tai Chi/Qi Gong/Classical Stretch, etc. Nothing fast or abrupt, just gently get things moving.

I basically start the day with stillness and gradually increase my level of movement intensity and complexity, then return to stillness at bedtime again.
Gives the day a bit of predictability that feels good.

Hope you find your way to a solution.

Counseling, prozac and attention to good nutritional habits have all made a HUGE difference in my quality of life, but I find it helpful to remember that we're only human and sometimes need to adopt a more flexible fitness habit just to maintain some time in our schedules for fitness. For me, just being able to look back and say that yes, I moved my body today is a huge boost. It helps me feel better, but also helps me stop criticizing myself for not having done 'enough' (whatever that means).
Old 05-23-23, 07:32 AM  
buffmama

Not much to add to what others have said, just sending hugs. Time outdoors should be helpful, even sitting. Unfortunately antidepressants don't work any better than exercise.
Old 05-23-23, 08:21 AM  
Vantreesta

For some of us, antidepressants and similar meds are necessary to live a "normal" life.

Anna, I love your last paragraph and agree. I'm still working on that mental flexibility part, for sure! My brother always told me to have a plan B for workouts bc sometimes when I get derailed it's like I can't even FIND the track again for a while!

Jane, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I echo what others have said about getting outside (being in the woods helps me the most, personally) and just getting yourself to do a little and see if that gets the momentum going.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-23, 08:46 AM  
donnamp

Everyone has offered some great suggestions!

I really have come to love Ellen's 15 and 20 min workouts. They are not fussy and just "enough" to make me feel that I have done something or to push me to do something else. She does offer a 7 day free trial so you can check them out.

We all go through ups and downs with workouts and other things in life. Sometimes it helps to identify the reason - are you bored with what you have been doing? Are you under stress? Are you physically tired? Is there something draining you mentally or emotionally?

For me, if I'm bored doing something different or doing something that i haven't done in awhile often helps.

If i'm under some type of physical, mental or emotional distress doing something gentle and restorative often helps. Although if I am very sad I can't do stuff like yoga - too introspective. I also find steady state repetitive cardio to be helpful with stress of any type.

To get back in the groove it often helps to just do *something* - other than the Ellen workouts I mentioned above I also like Senior Shape w/ Lauren (she has a nice variety of workout styles and lengths). Caroline Jordan is also very positive and has various workouts of different lengths. Maybe some Classical Stretch? And I agree about outdoor walks, if possible - or even just sitting outside and letting your mind wander.

I hope you feel better soon!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-23, 12:18 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Well my cold relapsed so I have an awful cough and runny nose. Doc says I have a virus and it just has to run it's course. Also air quality is lousy here from the smoke from the fires in Canada moving our way, so no outside exercise for a while. I really have not felt good for a long time.
Old 05-26-23, 03:47 PM  
OSusanna

Hope you feel better soon. I have also had a bit of a relapse on an injury and I’m finding it difficult to stay active. I just do not want to move. I don’t want to do anything. I know it is attributed to my spinal injury and my pain IS not specific. It’s more just a drag. I have been fortunate to have an empathetic dr that validates my pain situation. I don’t know why that has meant so much to me but it has.

I signed up for swim lessons again so that I could get some feedback on my stroke and try to get moving again. I am the least needy of the class and I have been getting enjoyment out of encouraging the others who are working so hard at learning something new. Getting in the pool is good for me overall and I’m not expecting a lot of instruction, more just a tip here and there in a relaxed environment.

I guess what is helping me is being present with others in an easy fun environment with zero expectations.

I’ve appreciated your encouragement in the past as you’ve supported me. I hope you feel the support here at VF.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-23, 05:01 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Well my cold relapsed so I have an awful cough and runny nose. Doc says I have a virus and it just has to run its course. Also air quality is lousy here from the smoke from the fires in Canada moving our way, so no outside exercise for a while. I really have not felt good for a long time.
Sorry to hear it. Sometimes when I’m sick and can’t workout, I like to watch different workouts on YouTube, find new instructors and plan what I will do when I feel better.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-23, 06:26 PM  
Sollamyn

I've been in a slump lately, too, but have started trying to turn things around for the better. Like quitting (or slowly tapering off) from bad habits. Baby steps, that sort of thing, and I need to stop wasting time on things like Facebook, etc. I gotta let go!!!!

Okay, those exclamation marks were for myself. But I hear you.

I know you said you're sick of your old easy workouts, but I do like to turn to old favorites whenever I feel like giving up. Like Madeleine Lewis's Get Moving/Walking for Weight Loss or something by Michelle Dozois or those Shape workouts she did with Tracy York and Lisa Wheeler. Or Chris Freytag. I always like her and her great big smile. All these workouts feel nostalgic, in a good way, and I just feel good working out with them.

And, of course, getting outside helps me, too--but that sounds like it's off limits for the time being. Maybe do some videos with good outdoor scenery?

Anyway, I hope you start to feel better soon. It's certainly going to be a process for me. A long one. But I am hopeful, for a change. I will keep trying.

Hugs,
Donna
Old 05-26-23, 06:34 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Jane! I am sorry to hear you've been in a bad slump. I can relate, because I was recently also in bad slump. Here’s what helped me: I decided to do 15 minutes of something active every day, and did some walking, bicycling or rowing on one of my exercise machines. It always turned into more than 15 minutes. I would also pull out a DVD now and then, my favorite being Rodney Yee's AM Yoga, which is good at any time of day, and is always uplifting and calming.

As others have said, getting outdoors is critical. Whenever I went outside and took a walk, I always felt a lot better.

One more thing that helped get me out of the slump was connecting and reconnecting with family and friends, even if just through a phone call.

I'm hoping that you feel better soon!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journaling, motivation, restarting, slump, workout slump