Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-22, 06:49 PM  
AprilCleo

Outside Walkers

This year I started walking outside and I love it. What do you do when the temperature is in the 20s? I really miss it but I don’t know if I could walk when it is this cold.
AprilCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 06:52 PM  
star117

I haven't done it because I don't like sweating in a lot of clothes hahaha I know, not helping!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 06:59 PM  
wendug

Welcome to the joys of walking outside! I have 2 dogs that get really anxious if I don't take them on walks, so it is part of our daily routine. On our walk today it was 15 degrees out with a windchill of about 5 degrees. I know, not ideal! You have to dress in layers for this type of weather. I don't wear long underwear, but knee high warm socks under my pants, insulated boots, long sleeve shirt/sweater. I have a coat specifically for walking in cold temps that goes to my knees and has a nice warm hood. Fleece gloves/hat complete my ensemble. I put sweaters on my dogs, too. Although today was frigid, the lack of ice on the sidewalks made it quite enjoyable! The sun was out and quite beautiful. Oh, I carry kleenex in my pockets as my nose tends to run in very cold weather!
Old 01-20-22, 07:04 PM  
mimikz

Quality gear that keeps me comfortable gets me out in the 20s. Breathable base layers and other layers with zippers to adjust as I heat up.

So today was in the low 20s, windy (ugh) but sunny! I was unzipping a little as my walk progressed.

If you want to be out there, trial and error with what gear works. For me it's all about my comfort and that keeps me happy .

Enjoy! M
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 07:06 PM  
Gams

Yesterday I took my Jeep in for an oil change. While they worked on the Jeep, I walked down to a Perkins restaurant. It was 3 degrees outside, but the temperature didn’t bother me - the worst part was all the ice on the sidewalks. I really, really don’t want to fall, but there aren’t many places to walk that don’t have ice.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 07:09 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I live in Minnesota. Hubby and I walk outside as long as it's above around 10 and there's no ice on the trails. We just bundle up.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 07:16 PM  
loulou

Wearing a warm beanie and scarf make it so much more comfortable. Along with all the other suggestions of course. I used to make do with the hood on a winter jacket and have always hated hats of any kind. Now I have acquired 5 beanies in the last 2 years. It makes a world of difference.

Fleece lined sweatpants are helpful too.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 08:29 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hats off to you walking in those kinds of temperatures!!! Well, actually, maybe the hats should be left on.
Old 01-20-22, 08:41 PM  
Vantreesta

Wind chill was -22 when I walked my dog this morning. I overdressed and got too hot. It makes a huge difference whether there is sun or wind. Today was sunny and calm and I shouldn't have worn my heavy winter coat. I've been wearing fleece lined leggings under workout pants (not sure if they're called like track pants or warmup pants or what) lately. Layers of wicking clothes are definitely the way to go, as well as hat, scarf and gloves or mittens. Base layer doesn't need to zip but it's very helpful if the layers above that do. I always wear snow boots to walk bc they're warm, have good traction and I never know when I'll need to step in the snow.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 09:06 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Wind chill was -22 when I walked my dog this morning. I overdressed and got too hot. It makes a huge difference whether there is sun or wind. Today was sunny and calm and I shouldn't have worn my heavy winter coat. I've been wearing fleece lined leggings under workout pants (not sure if they're called like track pants or warmup pants or what) lately. Layers of wicking clothes are definitely the way to go, as well as hat, scarf and gloves or mittens. Base layer doesn't need to zip but it's very helpful if the layers above that do. I always wear snow boots to walk bc they're warm, have good traction and I never know when I'll need to step in the snow.
Negative 22! Dang...my dogs would just want back inside at that temp. Even they have their limits.

Tags
cold weather, outdoor walking