Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-22, 10:43 AM  
fanofladyvols

Lifting weights.... and kitty litter independence

So my check-in buddies know some of this but it occurred to me how much I have progressed and I thought I ought to post to encourage someone else.

So years ago I injured my back vacuuming. Life was a general suckorama and It took lots of PT to get mobile again. I tried several trying to regain strength but eventually had to quit PT because they were not helping and I would be in more pain afterwards as they tried different things.

I ended up doing a bunch of research and getting to a point where I could do videos again but functional strength just wasn't there.

I would have to wait to get my children to go with me to load and unload the 20 pound bags of kitty litter. If I could get someone at the grocery store to help me the bags would sit in my vehicle until I could get someone to unload. I hated it.

Eventually, I started to feel my core get stronger and I graduated to getting them in the cart but couldn't make the haul up stairs. But I did plateau and it looked like that was all I could do. And I kept moving but felt like that was the limit.

Enter more time, setbacks of other aches (wonky shoulder, knee) and pains (not all physical) and Watulans and kettlebells. After gradually letting more time pass and then challenging myself in strength safely, I was able to haul the bag upstairs no issues. I started needing heavier dumbbells after years of never having anything heavier than an 8#.

Then my husband noticed how I could help him with lifting things. He quit asking if I could and would say "hey I need you to come over here and get this end.." He works out in the room with me so maybe he saw something I didn't. Anyway, my mind changed about what I could do. I learned to use the safety tips from strength videos to ordinary life. Doing more
bodyweight and mobility stuff and learning kettlebells helped me connect with my body so that my other strength training improved.

Then last week I went to the co-op and saw the 50# bag of litter and wondered...could I? I braced my core, exhaled as I lifted and engaged my lower body..and yep I could.

And yes, I braced and hauled that bag up the stairs. No issues and dang it felt great.

I realize I may not always be able to do it especially since I'm no spring chickie but being able to do it now...after all this time from being so weak well it is just freaking amazing!! I LOVE being able to do kitty litter trips myself.

Having strength and independence as a goal had the added benefit of releasing all those aesthetic goals.

I hope this spurs someone else who may be older than 20 but less than a 100 to keep on finding ways to move.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 10:49 AM  
AnMrsDe

That's great progress, Linda!! Congrats! I feel the same way lugging that 40 count bottled water from Sam's club up and in my cart, in my car, out of my car and into the kitchen!! And...lugging the 40# water softener salt from the store; cart and to my trunk to my mom's furnace room!! But the kicker is using my weaker, arthritic hands which I think have gotten stronger from my heavier weighted workouts. Gotta celebrate the little things, LOL!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 10:55 AM  
fanofladyvols

That's so fantastic, AnMrsDe!

I hope you continue to see progress with your hands, too!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 10:58 AM  
LizEMA

I had such a smile on my face while I read this post, Linda.
I feel great FOR you! Isn't it fantastic when you can do things for yourself, BY yourself? It must be especially rewarding for you having overcome your injuries.

How do you Watulans celebrate? With the cow bell? Ga-donk, ga-donk. (Well, that's me ringing it for you. How the heck do you type out cow bell sounds??)
Old 01-13-22, 11:02 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I. Love. This. Post!!!!!! I too had a huge smile on my face while reading this. Thank you, Linda!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 11:04 AM  
Erica H.

Wow, what a great post! Thank you for sharing! You too, AnMrsDe

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 12:05 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Congrats!

Well, I guess I'm lazy. I probably could lift the kitty litter myself, but I let my my friend do it when he comes over. I feel no guilt about this. However it's nice to know I could do it myself if I had to. I also let him vacuum if he's willing. I feel no need to do everything myself anymore.
Old 01-13-22, 01:12 PM  
Leonana

Congrats, that’s amazing progress.

I’m always grateful every time I can pick up the 42 pounds of kitty litter at Costco. It makes me realize how limiting it can be for someone who isn’t able to lift heavy objects, especially if they have no one to help them.
Old 01-13-22, 01:47 PM  
Venus

Thank you for sharing your progress!

It's great that your husband works out with you and noticed a difference, too!
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 01:54 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Now that's what I call FIERCE!!

All you ladies are amazing.
I too, love to go to the store and hoist huge bags of dog food or softener salt etc while the bag boys just stare!

Hubby knows my strength and has often called me his little bulldozer.

Stay strong girls!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back injury, kettlebell, kettlebells, rehab your body, results, strength building