Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-21, 04:12 PM  
alisoncooks

Nice tasting meal replacement drink -- not diet talk!

When I had COVID, my sense of taste and smell disappeared for months. It was almost back to normal (a bit muted) when I got my vaccination.

Since then, my sense of taste has changed and I'm struggling to find things to eat. Most savory items taste rotten, and I can't stomach my beloved morning coffee! I've got my fingers crossed that it'll regulate, but in the mean time I need something quick and easy for lunch. (Sweet things are still tasty but I can't live off of sweets!!)

Is there such a drink? Readily available, say at Walmart? I might can make smoothies but I'd like a less involved option...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 07:59 PM  
fanofladyvols

Does it have to be a drink?

Have you considered protein bars...esp. since you can still appreciate sweet?

For away from home when I don't have time to bring my own food, I love the Go macro bars. They're very satisfying. I like all the flavors.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 08:09 PM  
alisoncooks

I'm open to bar ideas! Just looking for something palatable and easy!

I can eat several raw fruits and veg with no taste distortion, so that helps. Initially, I was thinking of something to replace my coffee/breakfast (that's why I was thinking drink).
Old 09-20-21, 08:35 PM  
DCW

Long time ago, we made peanut butter honey milk balls. It consisted of peanut butter, honey, dried milk, and quick oats. It was our homemade snack. It's sweet so may taste okay for your new taste buds.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 09:46 PM  
Demeris

I guess a chocolate malt isn't what you're looking for.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 07:49 AM  
sciencelady

I do a blended drink for breakfast every morning. I use almond milk, a scoop of protein powder (I use dairy, chocolate or vanilla), a T of flax seed meal, a handful of either spinach or kale, and about a half cup of a frozen fruit (cherries, mixed fruit, banana, etc.) - all blended together till smooth. I think I've been drinking this breakfast for over ten years now!
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 08:24 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I guess a chocolate malt isn't what you're looking for.
LOL, I'm getting desperate enough to find things that taste *right/normal* that I may even give it a try! But yeah, looking for healthyish options.
Old 09-21-21, 08:52 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It's expensive, but I used to love Shakeology. Probably the best tasting meal replacement drink out there. It's pretty nutrient dense. I've also used Vega from Costco/Walmart and Paleo Protein from Amy Myers.

I don't do protein/meal replacement shakes anymore though.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 09:04 AM  
fanofladyvols

Alison another thing you might do is get checked to see if you zinc levels are low? Maybe focusing on foods that are higher in zinc (if going to the doctor isn't an option) to see if there's any improvement in your smell. Just a thought.

(I also make my own smoothies and have one nearly every day. I can make mine quickly but have also made them the night before.)

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 09:14 AM  
Malia

My favorite is GNC Lean Shake Ready to Drink (ready to drink is better than the powders). My son loves them too unfortunately (so he tends to drink them as a snack). I've tried all sorts of protein shakes including Shakeology and didn't like the taste of any of them except this one. I love the vanilla and think it tastes just like a McDonalds milk shake (which I haven't had in many years)
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meal replacement shakes, protein powder, protein shakes