Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-04-23, 05:56 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Another "functional fitness" workout yesterday where I helped with my local library Friends book sale. I'm very familiar with those book sales from my library employment, but this was my first time helping out at one as a volunteer. It was a lot of work and I was on my feet most of the day so my knee complained a bit about that. But I had an interesting time and the sale made $2,000 for my branch.

Today's Workout: Lying Poses For Flexibility from Jane Adams's Yoga For Beginners. This routine really soothed my knee with all the leg stretches. I also did Hand & Elbow Series A from J.B. Berns Rehab Your Body At Home.

Tomorrow I'll go back to weight work (Body Pump) after taking a week off. Will definitely be keeping my poundage on the lighter side. Oh, and the gym *finally* has their pool open! They plan to offer aqua aerobics, and I have a feeling that is a class I should check out.

Beth: The yoga festival sounds very fun!

Pat58: The young Ukranian woman even brought cupcakes for the volunteer staff to share! She told me about them using Google Translate on her phone. I should learn how to use that app -- since many of our food closet patrons are recently arrived Ukranian/Russian refugees it gets used a lot by the volunteers who register the recipients.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-23, 06:22 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Today I did another T-Tapp routine, a short upper body strength from Workout with Roxanne, and this stretch routine from Yogabody that felt very yin-like to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ1PzhThqcU

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 12:14 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~Functional fitness cleaning & organizing, racked up over 9,000 steps without leaving the house
~The Modern Fit Girl (YT): 15 min Standing Booty Band workout - made DH do it with me this time
~PT core stability exercises
~Somatics: low back focus
~Stretching & yin poses at the wall

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 08:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! Happy Moan Day. My activities yesterday:

~ Stroll on the beach
~ GYM for 20 minutes recumbent, chest presses, leg extensions and tricep extensions
~ 6,745 steps

Sandra, nice work at the book sale! I didn't realize they could be so lucrative. It was nice of you to go back and help your former work place. Hopefully your knee will forgive you soon. I wish all the best for the new citizens in your community.

Good morning to Beth, Pam, and all who visit!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 09:46 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jane's Lying Poses For Flexibility

Pat, aww I'm sorry about the sprain in your bad leg. I hope it resolves soon.

Sandra, reminded me of Jane's Lying Poses For Flexibility and that felt good this morning.

Good morning to Pam, Beth and all who visit!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 01:20 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: Body Pump at my gym. It went well. I wore a compression sleeve brace over my troubled knee and I also kept my poundage lighter for squats.

Also still doing HIIT With Alyssa, but that wraps up this evening when her mommy comes home. Somehow I think Alyssa knows it is today, as she keeps leading me over to her house.

Paine: I Lying Poses For Flexibility. Maybe my favorite yoga routine that I own on DVD. Oddly, I haven't particularly clicked with any other routines on the two Jane DVDs I have.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 04:16 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Happy Monday all! Although I haven't worked the past several Mondays, it's nice that this is my first official full week off.

My workout this morning was T-Tapp Basic Plus Tempo, a T-Tapp lymphatic walking workout, and some floorwork.

I had this weird vertigo happen while I was exercising - actually when I was lying down! It wasn't like the usually dizziness before passing out (I definitely know that that feels like!), it was more like things kind of swimming around and me feeling clumsy, almost like being drunk. A similar thing happened to me once about 2 weeks ago, but never before that. Has anyone ever experienced anything like that? I can't figure out what it could be. My only possible theory is that I took a ginger/turmeric supplement just before exercising on an empty stomach.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 04:30 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, yes I've had vertigo many times and it sucks. What I get is Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). None of the maneuvers have ever helped and medications didn't help. I just had to let it run its course. I've had it so bad, I would vomit and couldn't walk (I had to crawl on my hands and knees to go to the bathroom!). I hope it resolves for you soon. When it was really bad, Dramamine helped a bit. You can also try Meclizine.
I don't think your vertigo has anything to do with a ginger/turmeric supplement.

Sandra, Lying Poses For Flexibility is my favorite practice of Jane's from all the DVDs I have of hers.

EDIT to add: Beth, Dramamine will make you sleepy.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 04:41 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Happy Monday all! Although I haven't worked the past several Mondays, it's nice that this is my first official full week off.

My workout this morning was T-Tapp Basic Plus Tempo, a T-Tapp lymphatic walking workout, and some floorwork.

I had this weird vertigo happen while I was exercising - actually when I was lying down! It wasn't like the usually dizziness before passing out (I definitely know that that feels like!), it was more like things kind of swimming around and me feeling clumsy, almost like being drunk. A similar thing happened to me once about 2 weeks ago, but never before that. Has anyone ever experienced anything like that? I can't figure out what it could be. My only possible theory is that I took a ginger/turmeric supplement just before exercising on an empty stomach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Beth, yes I've had vertigo many times and it sucks. What I get is Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). None of the maneuvers have ever helped and medications didn't help. I just had to let it run its course. I've had it so bad, I would vomit and couldn't walk (I had to crawl on my hands and knees to go to the bathroom!). I hope it resolves for you soon. When it was really bad, Dramamine helped a bit. You can also try Meclizine.
I don't think your vertigo has anything to do with a ginger/turmeric supplement.

EDIT to add: Beth, Dramamine will make you sleepy.
Beth, I'm sorry to hear about the vertigo. Mine gets triggered most often when I'm lying down. And yes, it's definitely a different kind of dizziness than normal, like when I stand up too fast or need to eat!

Like Paine, I have had BPPV to the point of throwing up and having to crawl to the bathroom. Fortunately mine was only that bad once and I was at my parents where my dad could take care of Cyric for me. But last year there was a weekend in July and again over Labor Day weekend I was so dizzy I just had to lay around the whole weekend, which is not like me. Whichever maneuver my chiropractor gave me to do just made it worse.

Paine, I'm sorry you have to deal with it too. And I agree, I doubt the supplement you took had anything to do with it, Beth. I also have taken Dramamine to help as well as ginger capsules or ginger gum to deal with the nausea. To me nausea is worse than my worst migraine!

One time I was doing gate pose and just fell over bc the vertigo struck! So glad I wasn't in warrior 3 or half moon!

Anyway, I have been doing some reading on it (yes, online, so taken for what it's worth) since it has happened more often recently and what I've found is it can accompany migraine, which I know you also deal with. And I also read somewhere that perimenopause can play into it. I have seen much more about the migraine correlation though than the perimeno connection.

I honestly wake up some mornings worried that it will strike, especially if we have plans for the day.

ETA: I feel like I'm most susceptible when I'm in the process of lying down and it's pitch black. I guess my brain just can't process my position or smthg!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 04:51 PM  
Vantreesta

We spent the holiday weekend with my father-in-law and then Monday drove over to the North Shore and spent Tuesday through Saturday noon in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, canoeing and camping. We hadn't gone since 2019 and it was so good to get out into the wilderness, completely unplugged for a while (although I desperately missed my baseball!). We got home Saturday night and I will not lie, a hot shower, real food and our comfy bed were most welcome! And I made hubby listen to baseball the whole way home. I picked Cyric up yesterday and was so happy to have him back home too. He has been sticking pretty close to me. We really had a nice time. We didn't get to see any moose or bear this time but we did see trumpeter swans, loons, ducks, turtles, a frog, a snake and a very angry red squirrel who we seriously thought was going to jump off the branch onto me! He did not like that I wouldn't let him sneak into our food pack! Oh and the last morning before we headed out we watched a marten swim across the lake and climb up into our campsite. I never knew they look so much like ferrets! It was hot even up there but we only had a little rain so it was nice not to be wet all the time.

Mon 5/29 10 minutes MEMORIAL DAY--UP NORTH
10 minutes (from toe yoga)

Tue 5/30 206 minutes BWCA high 82
206 minutes (from 9.17 mi canoeing & portaging)

Wed 5/31 101 minutes BWCA high 83
101 minutes (from 3.92 mi canoeing & portaging)

Thu 6/1 217 minutes BWCA high 85
217 minutes (from 8.71 mi canoeing & portaging)

Fri 6/2 80 minutes BWCA high 91
80 minutes (from 3.07 mi canoeing & portaging)

Sat 6/3 37 minutes BWCA
37 minutes (from 1.42 mi canoeing & portaging)

Sun 6/4 33 minutes
10 minutes (from toe yoga)
23 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.45 mi)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote