Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-06, 09:56 AM  
antbuko

If Cathe did not see her results by lifting a 25 lb. barbell then how do you suppose she fits heavy lifting into her schedule? I mean, she teaches at a gym, doesn't she? Presumably what she teaches at her gym is somewhat like what we see on video. She has to rest her muscles at least 48 hours just like the rest of us, so if she teaches today, rests tomorrow and then teaches again the day after tomorrow, when does she fit all this heavy lifting in?
Old 09-23-06, 10:04 AM  
Mary09

My impression is she probably teaches cardio and BodyPump and does her strength work separately, going light on her resting muscles during the BP class.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 10:50 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Antbuko -

Cathe posted one time in the Ask Cathe forum that she trains 1 body part per day for 30 minutes. When she teaches a body pump style class, she coaches the body part she is training that day and/or the body part that is resting that day. She may demo the exercise w/o weights, if anything.

Gibbee
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 12:25 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P.
I was doing an old Stott tape the other day. The woman who was demonstrating the exercises was lean but curvy. She had a definite indentation at the waist and her hips curved out. It made me realize how rarely you see this body type, even the lean version of it, as leads in fitness videos.

I love Cathe and Kari, but I could no more have their body type than I could fly.
Sarah Ivanhoe has a lovely, fit, hourglass figure too. I wish there were more different fit figure types on videos, but like any physical area certain types tend to be selected.
Old 09-23-06, 12:41 PM  
jordan

Cathe has posted about her workout routines in the past and has given some information about the way she eats. When questions are asked for specific diet advice she refers people to nutritionists and registered dieticians. Everything she does is known to most people here; there really is no silver bullet in her fitness & diet regimen. She has a family, runs a growing business, and works as an instructor (and who knows what else she has on her plate). While she does have some advantages, she also has a lot of the same commitments that we all have. It all boils down to discipline, commitment and motivation.

Working out

She has stated that she constantly shocks her body with her workout routine and she cross trains.
She has stated that she runs (and has included running in some of her rotations).
She has also written up gym rotations for people in the past.
Some of the weight exercises that she does sound similar to what she puts in her videos. She has also stated that she tries out her DVD routines on her classes.

When she was recovering from her knee surgery, she complied with rehab work then she placed emphasis on upper body and core work. She worked with weights when people could bring them to her and with machines when she didn’t have assistance. She also eventually added biking & elliptical workouts.

Earlier this year, she stated that she taught step aerobics, kickbox, and silver sneakers classes. In addition to that (when not injured) she stated the she did extra cardio and hit each major muscle group once a week (I’m sure this changes).

Eating

She eats clean, with foods in their most natural state.
She eats a wide variety of vegetables, fruits and lean meats.
She mostly broils and grills meats and steams veggies.
She eats frequent smaller meals and drinks a lot of water. She drinks protein shakes. She indulges cravings in moderation.

When she was injured, she tried not to eat unnecessary calories.

When preparing for a fitness project, she is stricter but in her off season she lets her body rejuvenate.

She always states that eating clean is critical.

Many people seem surprised by this blend of exercise & diet, maybe because they are looking for an easier way, I don't know (shrug). I agree with the others who say that regular exercisers, as well as fitness instructors, can can achieve good results with hard work.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 12:56 PM  
maitai

What are silver sneakers classes?
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 12:59 PM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai
What are silver sneakers classes?
Classes for seniors.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 01:02 PM  
maitai

Thanx!
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 02:23 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icey
Hollywood is fantasyland. Most do not eat properly, meaning many women have some type of eating disorder to stay skinny, not slim. And the best plastic surgeons, besides Brazil, are right in Hollywood. Lipo this afternoon, anyone? Yes, they work out but they do MANY embellishments for their looks and remember magazine covers are notorious for airbrushing all these celebs into looking like someone else.
Remember when Jamie Lee Curtis did the article where she was photographed unretouched and sans makeup? I always admired her for that. SHe is such a cool woman.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 03:42 PM  
roz

I have not read every post on this thread, so I apologize if someone has stated this, but she probably looks "curvier" in MIS/MIC because her shorts are higher waisted, giving her more of a waist.
She always wears lower rise pants/shorts now.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, instructors appearance