Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-06, 01:42 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

I'm not for or against tattoos, but I do find them distracting in videos because I focus on the tattoo instead of what they are doing. And sometimes when you only get a fleeting glimpse of one, I'm constantly looking to see it again. I believe Keli Roberts has one on the back of her neck. I think I spotted it on one of the Body Bar videos.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 02:46 PM  
Flutterby

Speaking as one that has a lower back tattoo that I absolutely love, I don't see the big problem with them! Yeah, people have them...as long as they're not sexual or completely disgusting, why the problem? My main concern is that the workout is tough, fun, and result-forming not whether or not the instructor/background exercisers have ink on them. I got my tattoo as a symbol that I can do anything I set my mind to...I endured the pain...I had the strength to go through it...and I will get another one. I know my tattoo does show every now and then, but it's beautiful (a blue butterfly) so I don't mind if people see it. I will always try to make sure that any other tattoos that I get aren't very visable unless you're looking for them, but I will never have a problem with a instructor having a tattoo...it's more important that I like the workout !

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -Adam Savage

"The fact that we are so different is our strength." - Jamie Hyneman
Flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 03:46 PM  
mtnmom

Whether it be an instructor on a workout DVD, in real life, or just one of us common folk - a tasteful, well-placed tattoo is not bothersome to me. I don't care for the "more is better" approach to tattooing though. But to each their own.

I personally would never get a tattoo because over the years my taste in clothing, hairstyles, jewelry, and home decor have changed a few times over. I couldn't imagine getting anything so permanent. Plus how the tattoo would age itself over older, more wrinkly skin is a big deterrent.
Old 04-24-06, 04:07 PM  
Christine S.
VF Supporter

Smile

Add me to the list of tattoo lovers. I got my first one last summer and I love it. They can be really tasteful and beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleterra
... I usually don't think if it is or isn't attractive. I usually find myself thinking whether or not the artwork is good and if it is good, where did they get it done.
I'm also inclined to wonder about the meaning behind their tattoos-- why did they choose the design, etc. I had actually posted a tattoo thread on the WHFN site a long while back and got a couple of interesting tattoo stories. Tamela even posted with a description of her newest tattoo.

ETA: Here's the link to the thread: Tattoo/Body Art Thread on WHFN forum
Old 04-24-06, 04:57 PM  
kathy12
VF Supporter

I think I've seen one on the back of Keli Roberts neck also. I don't have any myself but DH has plenty. One whole arm is sleeved and he has several others. I like them but to each his or her own. DH is able to cover all of his if need be.
kathy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 06:08 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I don't mind tattoos. I like little ones. I like Allie's. I've even thought about getting one myself.

And therein lies the problem. If *I* would get a tattoo, then they are way too mainstream. By the time I am warmed up to an idea, it is already passe. I mean, for pete's sake, YOUNG REPUBLICANS are getting tattoos. Frat boys are getting tattoos.

They've just become, I don't know how to put it, so BRITNEY SPEARS somehow, so pop culture.

They used to be kind of alternative and edgy, now they're just too commonplace.

I should've gotten one 15 years ago. It's too LATE now! Sigh. I am always behind the times. I'm your negative indicator, people.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 06:35 PM  
laurajhawk

Instructors with tattoos don't bother me. Aesthetically, I'd rather see the whole tattoo than part, because there's a little distraction of wondering "what is that tattoo on Shiva Rea's back?" But I wouldn't want her to wear less just to show the tattoo
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 09:17 PM  
Minnie

I find them distracting, but I would never tell someone not to get one and wouldn't let it keep me from doing a workout I wanted to do. I'm in my early 30s and many of my friends have tattoos, but I think they are ugly. I think skin is so beautiful as-is, and markings like that just take away from the beauty that is skin (to me).

But I also think stretch marks are a badge of honor and am proud of all of mine, from weight loss and childbirth, so I know I'm usually in the minority on things. I just wanted to give an opposing point of view since so many people seem to love tattoos.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 09:44 PM  
Fanny

They distract me for two seconds then I get on with my workout.

I like them, but yes there is an initial surprise when I first see them on a video instructor.

I prefer tatoos with some color.
Fanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 06:51 AM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p
I don't mind tattoos. I like little ones. I like Allie's. I've even thought about getting one myself.

And therein lies the problem. If *I* would get a tattoo, then they are way too mainstream. By the time I am warmed up to an idea, it is already passe. I mean, for pete's sake, YOUNG REPUBLICANS are getting tattoos. Frat boys are getting tattoos.

They've just become, I don't know how to put it, so BRITNEY SPEARS somehow, so pop culture.

They used to be kind of alternative and edgy, now they're just too commonplace.

I should've gotten one 15 years ago. It's too LATE now! Sigh. I am always behind the times. I'm your negative indicator, people.
LOL, Susan! I hear you. I thought about getting a little one many years ago too, but I guess I could not be described as "edgy". Darn it!

Tags
deltaman, instructers appearance, instructors appearance