Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-23, 10:30 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
This is a great thread. I am 53 and have discovered that heavier weights work best for me. I have recently been getting heavier dumbbells. My previous heaviest were 12 lbs but I have now obtained 15 and 20 lb dumbbells as well. High rep low weight workouts are fun and I still do them but if I want to "feel" stronger, heavier is better for me.
This is where I am at also. My highest is 15, but I am tempted to get 18-pounds soon. I'll be 55 in a few weeks. I wish that I had been more consistent with weights and had started sooner.
Old 03-07-23, 10:49 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I can press two 25 lb dumbbells for a lot of reps. I feel like I'm pretty strong. I've been pushing it for a lot of years, and I keep getting stronger. But I can remember the first time I was able to hoist the 25's into position. It was a big victory!

For the heaviest weights, I do around 5 reps. But I usually start with a couple of 8-9 rep sets building up to that with increasing weights to make sure I'm ready. And then maybe 3 sets of 5.
thanks. at home, i have no rack although DH is very willing to be my spotter if he's nearby.

i use a lot of Body Bars - heaviest i own is a 35# bar. i have a solid curlbar and plates that i could make into a heavier barball, but i have been fine with the 35# bar at home. haven't used that weight in a while, but what you're saying about building up to it in a session makes sense.

thanks.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 11:32 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
This is a great thread. I am 53 and have discovered that heavier weights work best for me. I have recently been getting heavier dumbbells. My previous heaviest were 12 lbs but I have now obtained 15 and 20 lb dumbbells as well. High rep low weight workouts are fun and I still do them but if I want to "feel" stronger, heavier is better for me.
I just put in my request for 15 pounders for my Mother’s Day gift. I have 8kg kettlebells to hold me over in the meanwhile.

I enjoy light weight/high rep, but I’m finding that as I age, my joints (especially my elbows) don’t like it. The last few times I tried a Jari Love workout, I had issues afterwards.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 12:07 PM  
star117

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I enjoy light weight/high rep, but I’m finding that as I age, my joints (especially my elbows) don’t like it. The last few times I tried a Jari Love workout, I had issues afterwards.
Same here! I'm hoping around of heavy weights with the new Cathe will have me stronger and then Jari's won't bother me as much.
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 12:58 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yep, this is me, too! Lots and lots of skullcrushers with lighter weights bothers my elbow joints. I'd rather use heavier weights and not as many reps.
Old 03-07-23, 02:48 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Yep, this is me, too! Lots and lots of skullcrushers with lighter weights bothers my elbow joints. I'd rather use heavier weights and not as many reps.
Me three! I don’t think it’s a matter of strength, at least not in my case, so I don’t have any expectation that STS 2.0 will prepare me to do more high reps a la Jari Love. It’s only certain exercises that seem to bug me—skullcrushers for sure.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 05:07 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Me three! I don’t think it’s a matter of strength, at least not in my case, so I don’t have any expectation that STS 2.0 will prepare me to do more high reps a la Jari Love. It’s only certain exercises that seem to bug me—skullcrushers for sure.
I don't like skull crushers using a barbell without a spotter. There are a lot of other ways to hit the triceps. Certainly don't do them if they hurt your joint.
Old 03-08-23, 04:16 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly G View Post
I am curious how much weight everyone uses to give the best results for their body.
Do you do low with with high reps or high weight and low reps.
Or do you mix that up because I read it is better. What do you think?
Which dvds do you use the most for weight training?
Or do you do use a kettlebell ( how much weight then)? Which dvdsyou use the most?
Or do you add/ mix it up with band workouts. Which workout do you use the most?

So me at the moment because of my shoulder:
3 lbs high reps.
Not mixing it up but I want in the future doing heavier weights using Cathe new STS 2.0
At the momemt Tracey Anderson. Jari Love and Ilaria Kickboxing using egg weights 3 lbs.
Kettlebell 4 kilograms is 8,8 lbs I think. At the moment no dvd but swings.
I do mix it up with band training. A band training for my but and legs and band training for my shoulders, No dvds at the moment but I want to switch to that too.

Please let me know what you are doing because I love to hear about it and learn.
Nelly, I've found that low weights work best for me. i occasionally lift heavier if I am in a gym with a rack.

up to 12# per dumbbell:
1-arm rows

up to 10# per dumbbell or 18# bar:
bicep curls, leg press, calf raises

up to 8# per dumbbell
squats, lunges, upright rows, skull crushers, flyes (dumbbells), tricep kickbacks

10# bar:
upright row

up to 5 # per dumbbell:
floor work, french press

up to 3# per dumbbell
anterior raises, lateral raises

resistance bands: red lifeline

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 03:35 PM  
Nelly G

Thanks everyone for your replies. I love to hear more what everyone does for their strength training. Also I notice that we as women’s are stronger and can lift more then I thought which is so great. Also age does not matter that much but our willpower.
I have found this article about heavy lifting and combined with high reps with low weight.

Article:
I do not recommend lifting light weight for one week and then switching to heavy weight the next. Here’s why.

Switching back and forth week to week does not allow for muscle adaptation.

Muscle needs to be challenged using progressive overload and the only way to do this is to not switch back and forth.

A 2010 paper in the Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research by Brad Schoenfeld identified these three mechanisms of rapid muscle growth as – mechanical tension, metabolic stress, and muscle damage

If you don’t know who Brad is, he’s highly respected as a muscle hypertrophy researcher and expert.

Read Brad’s study here: The mechanisms of muscle hypertrophy and their application to resistance training.

And…read Brad’s full research PDF here: http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/articl...ypertrophy.pdf

Most guys who do not know how to optimize all three of these factors (mechanical tension, metabolic stress, and muscle damage) to muscle growth, end up spinning their wheels and become frustrated as to why they look the same month after month, year after year.

The fact is, muscle needs stimulation to grow. If you don’t expose your muscle to stress, there’s no driving force for muscle to grow.

You are using 2 of the 3 mechanisms to muscle growth.

Heavy weight is considered “mechanical tension”
Light weight with high reps is considered “metabolic stress”
You need muscle to adapt and then challenged from week to week.

The proper way to do what you want to do are the following:

6 Weeks of heavy training with lower reps using progressive overload
6 Weeks of light weight training with high reps using progressive overload.
Training this way will make you stronger and be able to build muscle size.

http://turnaroundfitness.com/3-advan...-rapid-muscle/

So what do you think about this article?
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 04:07 PM  
prettyinpink

I’ve been listening and reading to a lot of trainers and physiologists the past few years. You can alternate like that, but I think it’s more complicated than that.

Some exercises aren’t meant for super heavy weight, low reps, for example. Sometimes the programs I do will focus on a few lifts with 6-12 range, but then add some accessory, lower load exercises for higher reps (lateral and front raises, variations on banded glute bridges, leg lifts, for example). Leah Sarago also does this kind of thing: a heavier move followed by bodyweight barre moves. There are all kinds of ways to do it.

The other thing is that at home, it is not possible to do really heavy compound moves for 1-5 moves. This would be mostly powerlifting moves, which I think is what that article means by “heavy training with lower reps”.
Even at the gym, I rarely do this. Five-six rep sets are about the lowest I do. At my age, I’m not very interested in my one-rep max, and use dumbbells more than the barbell. It’s difficult to do very low reps with many dumbbell exercises. I think I would hire a trainer if I wanted to do a lot more training with very low reps.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caroline girvan, dumbbell size, egg weights, kaleigh cohen, miriam nelson, results, strength training, weight lifting, weights