Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-22, 02:16 PM  
kat999

Functional fitness wins!

I'd love to hear about functional fitness wins, where you notice that your dedication to exercise is allowing you positive gains in endurance, mobility, recovery from injury, or otherwise clear benefits in daily life.

For me, I just got a good cholesterol report, despite being a little iffy on food lately, and I chalk that up to my overall devotion to fitness. I also noticed something on two separate holiday shopping trips in the past week: on one, I went out with two friends, both of whom are within 10 years of my age, and even though I wouldn't call them "out" of shape, they are a lot more indifferent to consistent exercise than I am, and I found that my walking speed and overall stamina was much, much greater than theirs. Nobody asked to sit down and stop or anything, but I was finding I was just naturally outpacing them and had to slow myself down a lot. I also wasn't at all exhausted after shopping all day. The same thing happened with my husband a few days later; I had to force myself to slow down to meet his pace.

What benefits have you noticed lately? Let's motivate each other, since I do think this time of the year is tough to stay on task with consistent workouts.
Old 12-19-22, 07:43 PM  
geojill

I have been doing a lot of yoga and some Classical Stretch over the past year. There have been a few incidences where I fell (due to not watching where I was walking or my dog pulling me off my feet) and all I can say is that I fell ‘gracefully’ and was not injured at all. I really contribute my lack of injury to these workouts!
Old 12-19-22, 10:04 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I noticed on Thanksgiving that I had much more energy and was able to do more physically than other family members my age. I cooked and cleaned all day, and even worked out that day! There were literally only 2 of us out of 11 who consistently work out and eat healthy, and it was quite evident.

They were all mocking us for working out on Thanksgiving and not going crazy with dinner. But they were also very curious how I'd been able to lose 30 lbs in a year at my age, and my brief one-word answer: consistency.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-22, 10:38 PM  
ChelePA

I have so many functional fitness wins this year. Still recovering from a car accident but my progress has been incredible since the summer. Last December, I was discharged from therapy still using assistive devices to walk, do stairs and be able to shower daily. My husband got me a treadmill to continue working at home on these issues. Before my injury, I was an extremely fast walker, always outpacing my family and friends. When I was discharged from therapy, I could only walk at a speed of 1.4 plus I needed to hold onto the rails for balance. I wasn’t sure if I would ever walk independently again. I’m happy to report that this year my average walking speed is anywhere from a 3.5 to 4.0. I can walk for short periods at speeds higher than that, tripling my numbers from last year. And no rails for support! I still can’t tolerate impact but hoping with time.

Congratulations to all who show up daily for themselves. It’s not always easy but so worth it.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-22, 10:52 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Wow, ChelePA, that is incredible! You truly are inspiring and I'm so utterly proud of you for not giving up. Just keep going!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-22, 11:25 AM  
kat999

ChelePA, that's amazing! Keep up the good progress!
Old 12-20-22, 11:27 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
They were all mocking us for working out on Thanksgiving and not going crazy with dinner. But they were also very curious how I'd been able to lose 30 lbs in a year at my age, and my brief one-word answer: consistency.
Ugh, I really hate being mocked for being consistent and caring about my health! It seems like the people who make fun of others' behaviors are the ones who wish there was some kind of magic bullet when it comes to this stuff. But you're exactly right: it's dedication, consistency, and focus. Show up every day and do the work!
Old 12-20-22, 03:11 PM  
sugar rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I noticed on Thanksgiving that I had much more energy and was able to do more physically than other family members my age. I cooked and cleaned all day, and even worked out that day! There were literally only 2 of us out of 11 who consistently work out and eat healthy, and it was quite evident.

Lori, I sent you a pm.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-22, 11:05 AM  
Leonana

When I trip, I always catch myself. I credit that to balance moves in workouts. I'm also able to handle a part time job where I'm on my feet for three to three and a half hours per day working at an elementary school. I'm 63, but can walk more than the ladies younger than me. I even walk more than the one in her 20's! On a positive note, one of the ladies who does this job is 80, and I'm constantly impressed at her stamina. She's a good reminder of how keeping active is such a great benefit. I'm not doing as many workouts with this job, but I still try to get some strength workouts in.

I've been mocked by one family member for working out. This person is overweight and has constant health issues. I think it's a way for them to dismiss it, so they don't feel guilty for also not exercising and eating healthier.

Tags
results