Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-22, 12:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Good for you!

When I purchased BSS1 in 2002, it was on VHS and from QVC. (maybe someone remembers if Goodtimes had offered it on DVD? )

I was so sold on the nesting FL. i had never owned the wooden short or tall box. i had always used a Rubbermaid tool box for tall box and my step co. step for short box. step riser toppers came out a few months later in 2002.

At the time, i was sad to see the closure of the original firm, but this new venture, with Cynthia Benson in the infomercial, somewhat sealed the deal for me because it was a way that she was passing the torch. of course, Anna had moved on to FitPrime.

Andrea Ambandos was the director and brought a new look to The Firm. This didn't necessarily make things too easy in intensity, but i think they were trying to appeal to a wider audience by shortening the workouts and launching the sale on QVC (? or was it HSN?).

it was one of the few times i purchased an item from an infomercial and i had the box delivered at work! those were the days!

for the 6-pack, i found a motherlode of them at Savers on DVD. That was probably the biggest fitness find i had ever encountered - $2.99 each, and I think i had a $5 off coupon. i bought the sculpting stick from a craigslist seller for $5. bought the Transfirmer from a different CL seller for $35, with the basic DVD set.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 05:21 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I might have gone overboard with some purchases yesterday. LOL But the prices were too good to say no to on eBay. All of them brand new/sealed.

PowerFit Harmony w/Book & bands
Firms 6-Pack
Firms complete set of TransFirmer workouts plus all the Jiggle Frees
Firm Calorie Killer II
Firm Upper Body Sculpt with Janet

I always considered these to be too easy and felt like they didn't have a place in my collection. I guess I was wrong. I'll start with PowerFit and work all these others in slowly. I'm not in a hurry to get back to the original Firms. I just want to get moving again.
Wow! That's quite the haul! I didn't initially purchase the 6-pack add-ons, but ended up getting most (not all) of them over the years used at thrift stores/online. I use Super Cardio Sculpt with Nancy a LOT! It's a fun little workout! Sometimes you don't want an hour workout and these workouts are great. The Transfirmer workouts and the Jiggle Frees are more advanced than the earlier BSS series (I think). Jiggle Free Arms is awesome and I use that one the most of the set. Good luck on getting your exercise groove back and HAVE FUN!
Old 05-30-22, 05:49 PM  
JENILU

I didn't read all the replys and I am not a FIRM person, but as soon as I saw Powerfit, I had to say something. Powerfit Harmony was what got me moving regularly again. Things that were supposed to be very beginner to other people (I have never been able to do Firm very well) were just too much for me at the time and I've give up. I like Harmony better than the other Powerfit but like and use both sometimes now. I believe they are a very good start and don't tire you so much that you can't easily work up to doing two a day pretty quickly if you wanted to.
If you ever want to talk, illness likes to come and visit here quite often as well. God helps me work thru it and thats got to be the only reason I am till here. I am gonna go and try to read the other comments.
Bless you!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 08:18 PM  
TinaT

jeannine ~ Yes, those were the days. I still have my blue/purple step and the sculpting stick. I keep my eyes open for a TransFirmer... I'm patient... it'll be at a thrift store someday.

wendug ~ I plan to take it easy and absolutely have fun as well.

JENILU ~ It's been years since I owned PowerFit. I never owned Harmony. So, it'll be new to me. All I want to achieve is 20 mins at a time. Thank you for reaching out, I just might take you up on a talk here or there.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and encouragement.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 02:52 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post

JENILU ~ It's been years since I owned PowerFit. I never owned Harmony. So, it'll be new to me. All I want to achieve is 20 mins at a time. Thank you for reaching out, I just might take you up on a talk here or there.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and encouragement.
Anytime!! I know people, way back, didn't like that it didn't seem to produce huge physical changes, but I know it got me moving and consistant and helped me with a very low stamina level at that time.Good luck and blessings!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 03:36 AM  
Elsie

Hi Tina,
Congrats on getting on a new journey! I'm not sure how much you use online routines & I don't have any Firms, but like to share with you that I went from the sofa (and sleeping plus serious anxiety problems) to becoming my active moving self again with Lively Ladies channel. She is quite encouraging and I find her intensity is great for getting back into the swing of things. I still use the channel after a couple of years frequently for over half of my cardio or when I'm having a 'difficult' month. I also did some shorter Cathe weights here and there, but Lively Ladies was my mainstay. She uses 4 limbed movements throughout a lot of routines. I, like you, wanted enjoyable upbeat movement and an added bonus was I lost all of the weight on my back I had put on!

You know, just in case you're open to suggestions other than your Firms that is!! LOL. Maybe I've gone off your question but I just can't rec her channel enough for your particular situation. All the Best!
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 05:37 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I agree with the person that said to start with PowerFit and work up to the Firms.

I had all three PowerFit sets at one time but sold them all. I have on and off regretted that ever since. So I ordered a brand new PowerFit set from Ebay yesterday. I am debating if I want to get Harmony too, I probably will.

I am probably in the worst shape ever, and these will help get me moving again but will also appeal to my aging self more than when I had them before. I have been dealing with hip issues for the past few months, and have lost strength and range of motion. These might be just what I need to build back up.

I hope one day I can get back to my intermediate level but it's going to be a long while. More pilates are probably in my future, and I want to get back to strength training but it might be scaled back, but I hope to be able to do my Cathes again, even if it's modified which it likely will be.

I have always liked Stephanie though, so I look forward to restarting with her again.

For those who are interested, the PowerFit Plus workouts which are really hard to find are on You Tube.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 07:04 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Tina,

Another suggestion is the YouTube channel Senior Shape - Lauren's YouTube workouts are top notch. Her workouts are great for re-starters. She uses lovely music and has really good production values for a YouTuber. She also posts weekly suggested schedules on the playlist tab.

Another good YouTube channel is Silver & Fit with workouts graded Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced - cardio, strength, mixed format, yoga, balance, etc. They release 7 or 8 30 minute workouts a day, so there's always something new, plus all the past releases are on their YouTube channel. I would say that the Silver & Fit Intermediate workouts are a step above the PowerFits, just because they are 30 minutes long instead of 20 minutes.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 09:42 AM  
fatkat555

I forgot to mention that I use the WHFN kick butt and FitPrimes as beginner/starting back workouts. I also think Tracie Long’s Focus series are along the same lines as well.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 02:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
I also think Tracie Long’s Focus series are along the same lines as well.
Tracie also has her Platinum Fitness for Seniors - I've never tried it but perhaps someone could chime in.

i like Tracie's Longevity series. i find that the pace is slow enough for me. Some of the DVDs in this series have shorter pre-mixes too. all are well-chaptered. something to consider.

1 Defining Shape 2009 (50)
2 Staying Power 2009 (53)
3 Step Forward 2009 (55)
4 Back Up 2009 (54)
5 Leaning Out 2010 (50)
6 Defined Lines 2011 (50)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanny lifter, firm 6 pack, powerfit, powerfit harmony, restarting