Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-14, 10:20 AM  
cherimac

I think it depends on your background. I know people who loved UY (Emily is one) and Travis does an amazing job at cueing. It's not easy with yoga. I tried a Piyo off of YT and thought the cueing was lacking too~and it wasn't Chalene.

A friend is letting me try her set so I can decide if I want to get it. I'm intrigued because Fuzzie and V say it's not yoga or pilates at all and a couple of other people say it's nothing but yoga. I'm sort of hoping it's more like Ellen Barrett's Yogini, which I think is a blend of yoga, pilates, and calisthenics.
Old 09-24-14, 10:23 AM  
mle777

Sue, what's funny is for years I've read about Chalene's bad cueing in the turbo workouts and I've always thought "what the heck are they talking about?" I never had an issue in those, so it came as quite a shock to me that it bothered me in this one. I still blame Travis Eliot, I swear that man has ruined all other non-Ultimate Yogi yoga workouts for me I did turn my yoga mat parallel to the tv this morning (instead of perpendicular) and that helped quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying them, but I think I'll enjoy them more when I have dvds that work properly and I've done them more than once so the moves are more familiar

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 10:26 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
Sue, what's funny is for years I've read about Chalene's bad cueing in the turbo workouts and I've always thought "what the heck are they talking about?" I never had an issue in those, so it came as quite a shock to me that it bothered me in this one. I still blame Travis Eliot, I swear that man has ruined all other non-Ultimate Yogi yoga workouts for me I did turn my yoga mat parallel to the tv this morning (instead of perpendicular) and that helped quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying them, but I think I'll enjoy them more when I have dvds that work properly and I've done them more than once so the moves are more familiar
They definitely are becoming more addicting as you do them. She starts out really slow - which is where my patience didn't work initially. The pace is definitely picking up now, and the workouts are really building on each other. I can't wait to hear your thoughts as you keep progressing.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 03:39 PM  
momofcha

Well I did it - I finished a rotation - start to finish. A first for me. While I wasn't "wowed" by my results, I felt good. I didn't lose any weight - despite adding in shakeology and watching closely what I ate. Keep in mind I am dealing with thyroid issues and losing weight is just not happening these days.

That being said, my clothes aren't fitting any differently but.... as I was getting dressed this weekend I noticed oblique muscles coming out. I have NEVER had oblique muscles. Also, my legs have incredible definition from this set. My shoulders/arms are looking nicely defined as well.

I followed the strength rotation - and doubled up some days, which left a day or two free during the week for my kettlebells.

My favorite of the set was by far "strong legs" - from the deluxe set, with the slides. Those slides are awesome. I love them. I actually thoroughly enjoyed working my legs - which coming from me says a lot - as I typically hate to work them.

Drench was my least favorite and by the end gave me serious dread. I'm not sure if it was the length or what. I had no problem combining 2 30 minute workouts, so I'm not sure it was the length, but I did dread it. I also really enjoyed Core. Which again, says a lot, as I typically also hate to work my core.

So, in a nutshell, I am still a work in progress. I love the results so far, but I want more. Sunday was my first day of a new rotation, and what did I add in? PiYO Core.... I am also focusing on legs tomorrow and will be pulling out my Strong Legs....

Old 11-03-14, 04:29 PM  
donnamp

Congrats, Sue!!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14, 01:41 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
Well I did it - I finished a rotation - start to finish. A first for me. While I wasn't "wowed" by my results, I felt good. I didn't lose any weight - despite adding in shakeology and watching closely what I ate. Keep in mind I am dealing with thyroid issues and losing weight is just not happening these days.

That being said, my clothes aren't fitting any differently but.... as I was getting dressed this weekend I noticed oblique muscles coming out. I have NEVER had oblique muscles. Also, my legs have incredible definition from this set. My shoulders/arms are looking nicely defined as well.

I followed the strength rotation - and doubled up some days, which left a day or two free during the week for my kettlebells.

My favorite of the set was by far "strong legs" - from the deluxe set, with the slides. Those slides are awesome. I love them. I actually thoroughly enjoyed working my legs - which coming from me says a lot - as I typically hate to work them.

Drench was my least favorite and by the end gave me serious dread. I'm not sure if it was the length or what. I had no problem combining 2 30 minute workouts, so I'm not sure it was the length, but I did dread it. I also really enjoyed Core. Which again, says a lot, as I typically also hate to work my core.

So, in a nutshell, I am still a work in progress. I love the results so far, but I want more. Sunday was my first day of a new rotation, and what did I add in? PiYO Core.... I am also focusing on legs tomorrow and will be pulling out my Strong Legs....
Congratulations. Does the PiYO Strength rotation include the extra strength DVD (Strong Legs and Full Body Blast)?
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14, 02:53 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
Congratulations. Does the PiYO Strength rotation include the extra strength DVD (Strong Legs and Full Body Blast)?
yes

Old 11-14-14, 06:14 PM  
iheartsts

Congrats, Sue! I've been on the fence whether or not to buy this for myself for Christmas, and you've almost pushed me to hit the "buy" button...

...the only thing holding me back is that I pre-ordered Cathe's new ones, so I might wait till next year to get Piyo...but it's good to know you liked most of the workouts and finished the rotation. I'm thinking that after Cathe's new ones, I'll probably be ready for less impact, more "easy on the body" workouts like Piyo. I also hate to work my legs, so I'm encouraged that you really liked "strong legs".

Thanks for posting your results!

ETA: Just read back a page or two and also want to thank fuzzie for posting your results and opinions also. VFers are great!
Old 11-14-14, 10:56 PM  
MARIKA

Sue, I do remember you saying you dreaded Drench. I did as well. I cut it short, don't know why I will try to give it another shot.

Tags
chalene johnson, mirror cueing yoga, piyo, piyo reviews