Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-10, 05:52 PM  
AmandaB

Difference between a high step and The Firm Fanny Lifter?

So I purchased a bunch of dvds at TJ Maxx and a couple of them utilize The Firm's Fanny Lifter. Can I use a high step instead (since I've always wanted one anyway). Are they similar enough?

Also, I own a step - can I purchase the top of the high step and use my step's risers. Are the risers usually the same size?

Thanks!
AmandaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 06:08 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

The High Step is, imo, superior to the Fanny Lifter because you can customize the height you want. If you have the full-size Club Step, you can use the risers with the High Step platform.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 09:49 PM  
StephE

Amanda, I would go with the High Step too. In fact, I have the Fanny Lifter, but I recently bought the High Step just because I don't always feel like climbing 14 inches! And it can also bother my bum knee at 14 inches if I use that height too much. With the High Step, you can use 10, 12, or 14 inches for the tall box moves that are in the FIRM workouts. Whatever works best for you! I my High Step!

Exercise is THERAPY for all the challenges and trials life throws my way!!
StephE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 10:07 PM  
afirmrose

I agree. I got rid of my Fanny lifter when I bought my High Step.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 01:35 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I donated my fanny lifter (hate that name) to a worthy cause after getting a high step topper. I just bought the topper from fwonline. You do need full size risers for it, but they can often be found at places like Play It Again Sports.

The 14" height was too much for my knees. Haven't had any trouble when I keep the height at 12". I also vary the height just for a change.

If you have some kind of stable step at home, you can try out the workouts before making the investment. You could also use your sister's step at a lower height at first.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 06:24 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Heck, even your old Rubbermaid kitchen step might work better and I think it's only 10". That's what I used for ages until I got my High Step...love it

The fanny lifter makes a better kitchen step esp. if you have both steps. I gave mine to my height-challenged younger DD (4'10").
Old 04-18-10, 04:24 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
The High Step is, imo, superior to the Fanny Lifter because you can customize the height you want.
I agree: and also because the High Step is not as hard as the Fanny Lifter (I use my FL as a computer table!). The FL doesn't have much give at all.

I wouldn't use the FL for anything other than step-up type moves, but I use the High Step just like a step, for cardio and low-to-mid impact moves (if I did higher impact, I'd use the HS for that as well, but never the FL).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 04:45 PM  
Just_Jo

I have a Fanny Lifter, a Club Step, a High Step and a Transfirmer. I also have slanted risers. (Would I be called an Ediot for having too much equipment? lol)

For what you're wanting, the High Step would be great.

Believe it or not, I use all of my steps! I set the high step at 10-12 inches depending on my health that day (long story) and I set the Fanny Lifter up for seated work because it's a bit taller. I use my Transfirmer for step workouts, and I use my Fanny Lifter for Firm cardio step segments, such as Cardio Step Mix. I like those two better as I've got two left feet and have tripped a few times on the club step and high step's sides. I use my club step for step tapes other than Cathe because I just don't have enough room for Cathe's moves in my living room.

I had started out with the Transfirmer and then bought the Fanny Lifter then got the others for Christmas. Had I bought the Club Step first, I probably would never have purchased the FL or Transfirmer, just a high step. FWIW, I did buy the High Step instead of just the topper, as I wanted the extra risers which I use for weight work.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanny lifter, slanted risers, tjmaxx