Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-20-22, 09:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Summer Breeze - oh no, what bad news. I'm sorry to come back after a few days and learn how severe your injury turned out to be. The crutches are a major pain! Good thing you've been doing your KB swings. I wish they would have given you a knee scooter. Are you in a lot of pain?

Donna, when do you switch offices?

Diane, good news that your DH is back in action. We had a lot of wind here, too. Pizza Sunday sounds like a nice tradition!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 01:41 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Our guest left late this morning, so I got back on track with my workouts:

Jessica Smith - Split Session Strength - Lower Body - Full confession, I was dreading this one. And it is a long one - 48 minutes. It was the hardest one for me from this set of workouts - but it wasn't as bad a I feared. It used some gliding discs, a step, a chair, and for me, light weights. The first "set" you repeat 3X which was a bit overkill for me, the other 2 "sets" just repeated twice. This is not one I can see myself going heavy with - there is a lot of work in the dreaded hip hinge position - and while I see that it is a functional move it is also one that can be tricky to execute. I do wish this workout was chaptered, so that there would be an easy way to skip an extra set if you wanted to - I know there is always fast forward, but it is easier to skip to a chapter! All this being said, I didn't hate the workout at all and I can see how it can definitely build some functional strength and stability. it will be one that I will have to talk myself into doing, however, due to the length and the repetition. I still liked it better than some of Jessica's other lower body workouts which tended to tweak my back. I'm not sure why this one didn't - I will say in general, my back is doing much better these days - (not sure why! LOL!) and it is also probably the pacing - it doesn't move at break neck speed and it is easy to go at your own pace and just do fewer reps.

If I can talk myself into it - Upper Body is on for tomorrow!!

I added on Trifecta Pilates - Core Connection Class (15 min) and Pilates Deep Breathing (5 min).

Oh - I also walked my Golden - but it was a slow walk...

Summer Breeze - I hope you are hanging in there and that you are recovered soon.

Pat - I start tomorrow - although I'm still working in my old department for 4 weeks as well - and still working from home - so it is going to feel pretty much the same, but I hope for more sanity.

Diane - how was your Pizza?

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 02:56 PM  
amoodygirl

Hi everyone,

Hope all are enjoying the day. I worked out this morning and then we went to the Berkshires for some grocery shopping at our favorite store, Guidos. The best hummus hands down we ever had. They are a bit pricey but their offerings are so worth it!

Today’s Workout:
  • Treadlift – using spin bike – intervals of cardio with weight training intervals
  • 14 day oblique challenge – side planks, knee tucks, Russian twists
  • Stretch
  • Afternoon: Bad Yogi Tuesday Flow (short)

DH went out for an afternoon bike ride but I just didn’t feel like it so I didn’t. He’s riding through the neighborhood so if any homes are for sale, I’ll get the scoop!

Summer Breeze: I’m glad to see you here and am sending healing energy your way! It was a great bike ride but I was pooped afterward! Riding into the wind is like riding on sand!

Pat: DOMS is no joke. It can be debilitating at times! I don’t blame you whatsoever! Some days it's hard enough to just get up out of a chair! I now understand when my mom would get up and always say, "Oh God...." I thought come on, it's not that bad! Sorry mom, it is! I now get it!

Donna: Our pizza was so yummy! It’s so easy – I buy the crust at Hannaford’s – usually a multi grain crust, and then put the pizza together with sauce, garlic, oregano, basil, roasted red peppers and top with cheese. I opt for super light cheese on my side and DH likes a lot. It’s easy, it’s healthy, and it’s cheap! A win-win all around! I’m looking forward to hearing about your transition to your new position! I hope it’s less stressful but, more importantly, enjoyable. You kind of want to glide into retirement on a good note! Fingers crossed!

Have a great evening, everyone!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 07:41 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Jessica - Split Strength Sessions - Upper Body- I liked this one! I tend not enjoy splits as much but this one was good - it had a lot of different exercises, a focus on posture and function - like all of the workouts in this series.

I am planning some Pilates later and maybe some steps/walking....

I'm not sure what to do after this week of Jessica's rotation - another round? But I feel I neglect my other workouts too much, LOL! Not enough hours in the day.

Pat - I don't blame you for bailing, crippling DOMS is no fun. I may get back into Lucy - I wonder what she has planned for July?

Summer Breeze - I hope you are healing!!

Diane - sounds like an awesome pizza!!

Donna
Old 06-21-22, 08:20 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

I'm doing the best I can here. I actually set up a chair in the kitchen and did some dishes resting my knee on the chair. And with DD's assistance I actually made some baked chicken. It felt good to be doing things but I'm still pretty unstable and have to be cautious. I've bumped it a couple of times and that scares me because I don't want to get anything out of alignment. So I've been letting DD wait on me for the most part.

PAT, glad you were able to enjoy the glorious weekend weather. The knee scooter is actually a great idea. My friend game me a walker from when she broke her ankle and I like it better than the crutches but the scooter sounds even better. I'll ask the orthopedist about it when I go next week. It's not too painful thankfully. Occasionally I'll feel it but it's mostly manageable. But now my back is twinging because of the long sitting in the recliner.
LOL

DONNA, I'm not a fan of splits either but it sounds like the upper body one worked out well.

DIANE, oh the pizza does sound delicious!!

Have a wonderful day everyone!!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-22, 06:14 PM  
amoodygirl

Hi everyone!

After my workout, I decided to do some cleaning. I was going to go for a bike ride while DH ran but the rain was moving in and when I came upstairs after my workout, he was getting ready to go out. I was nowhere near ready to head out with him.

Today’s Workout:
  • Treadlist – Leg day – treadmill run followed by squats, lunges, deadlifts, and glute bridges
  • 14 day oblique challenge – last day!
  • Yoga for Sciatica – Lesley

Donna: Good workouts! Hope your first day on the new job went well!

Summer Breeze: Just continue being super cautious – I also like the idea of a knee scooter. It seems like an easier way to be mobile, other than crutches or a walker.

Hi to Pat! See everyone tomorrow!

Diane
Old 06-22-22, 10:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! Had a fun day yesterday - my niece and I went to see an exhibit in Providence, Beyond Van Gogh. It was phenomenal!!! There are images of Van Gogh paintings all over and you see them in motion moving all over the walls and floors. Like this: https://beyondvangogh.com/

We could have stayed in there three hours. If it comes to your location, just go see it! I'll try playing with the footage I took on YouTube and see if I can come up with a video to share.

In the exercise world, yesterday was nada and Monday was an episode of Body Electric.

Summer Breeze, it sounds like you're making out the best you can at this stage of healing. Good job on the kitchen work!

Donna, wow I didn't realize you had four weeks to wrap up at the old job in addition to your new job. You are so good with making time for your workouts.

Diane, congrats on completing the oblique challenge!

Have a wonderful day.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 07:27 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I am late posting today - got sidetracked this morning - we had to have our hot water heater replaced. UGH. Anyway, whoever buys my house will never have to worry about the plumbing - everything has been replaced!

So, for today it was an interval cardio on Jessica's rotation along w/ her Pilates abs. I did:

Kathy Smith -Functionally Fit Peak Fat Burning - a retro workout from the '90's!
I remember when I could do the high impact versions, LOL!

Then, after work I did:

Jessica Valent - 10 Min Thoracic Mobility Practice - this was a good one and it really hit the spot. I think limited range of motion in my thoracic spine contributes to a lot of my back pain and I think that may be the "magic" of CS - there is a lot of work through that part of the body in CS/Essentrics...

Trifecta Pilates - Pilates Lower Body Flow - From the beginners calendar, 15 min.

Pat - In theory I'm only supposed to do 10 hours per week for my old job but I know it is going to be more than that. But I wanted to leave on good terms and it is a bad time of year to be down a person. My new job is going to be different - but I think a saner pace. I hope!

Summer Breeze - hope all is well and healing.

Diane - nice workouts, as usual

Donna
Old 06-23-22, 05:37 AM  
amoodygirl

Hi everyone!

I got busy yesterday and then had to run up to the Vet to get some meds for one of our cats. Here’s yesterday’s workout:

Wednesday’s Workout:
  • Body Electric Series 400, Show 11 – Biceps, delts, outer thighs and inner thighs. This was a good old school workout – a very early one!
  • Bad Yogi Hamstring Flexibility practice.

Pat: We have the Van Gogh series going on here in Albany. I wanted to go but I’m still too nervous about Covid. The numbers are still too high in Albany County for my comfort. I bet it was amazing!

Donna: It’s good to not burn bridges so you made the right call on your old job and helping out with 10 hours per week. Geez, looks like there’s a lot going on in your house, repair/renovation wise!

Hi Summer Breeze!

I’ll check back in later on with today’s workout!

Diane
Old 06-23-22, 08:27 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was a rest/stretch day on Jessica's program so I did:

Essentrics - Beginner Strength Workout - Live from 6/15

I really need to keep Essentrics in the mix - It helps so much w/ my mobility - it is just a challenge b/c there are only so many hours in the day and too many workouts to choose from. I guess that is a good problem to have.

Forgot to add- the VanGogh series looks interesting, I'm going to check to see if it will be around here.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna

Tags
gall bladder, heartburn, margaret richard, standing yoga