Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-21, 12:05 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
I’m not sure if I’ll ever give up my beloved DVD’s. They’re like my children. I keep them safe, clean and pay attention to every one of them. I stream too but can’t imagine streaming exclusively. My fear is when my DVD player dies…..do they even manufacture them anymore? Scary thought!
I have this Sony DVD player, model DVPSR510H:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F9XHAY/

It's still going strong since early 2017 (and you can use slo-mo to learn complex step choreo). But I keep getting paranoid they'll stop producing them, so I bought a backup one (same model) in late 2018 and it's still new in the box

I think blu-ray players will be around for a while and they can also play regular dvds.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 02:46 AM  
Negin

I would love to stream Ballet Beautiful. I've never streamed any workout channel before. The reason that I haven't done so, is that I can't justify the ongoing monthly cost. With Ballet Beautiful, that would set me back at about $480 a year !

At least with DVDs, I have them forever. I don't like the idea of having to pay every single month.

Yes, I understand that there's always new content, but it's quite unlikely that I'd be able to keep up with all those workouts anyway. I know myself and I'm the type to get overwhelmed with continuous new content.

I own most of the Classical Stretch DVDs, and I love them. I've often considered streaming. I figure, "Why bother? Why pay twice?"

I haven't had any income in well over a year and don't know when I will. I view streaming as yet another case of high-class robbery. I do love and follow many YouTube channels, however.
Old 06-10-21, 06:35 AM  
alisoncooks

I'm not streaming but I've been using YouTube workouts (pretty exclusively) for months. Even a few I have on DVD, I found on YouTube and use there. It's just easier. That said, I'm definitely not ready to go DVD-less yet. I'll keep my small collections for a while longer.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 07:03 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I'm not streaming but I've been using YouTube workouts (pretty exclusively) for months. Even a few I have on DVD, I found on YouTube and use there.
Same with me. I've been using youtube workouts and haven't used a DVD yet this year. But our internet is spotty and I'm not ready to give up my DVDs. I love all my workouts - youtube and DVD!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 07:29 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I'm another one that has been using YouTube almost exclusively for the past year and a half. I use a DVD or VHS about 4-5 times a month.

It did occur to me earlier this year that I could probably whittle my collection down to around 30 or so favourites and still have enough variety to keep it interesting.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 09:45 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I've been doing a lot of streaming workouts lately, mostly Les Mills, Peloton, and iFit, and a little YouTube. I feel like I should get rid of DVDs but just can't! I feel like at some point I will want to do those (and I have) and can't figure out which ones to get rid of.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 10:19 AM  
Vantreesta

I have been doing some YouTube stuff, mostly PT type videos and things I don't have DVDs for like rowing and I did an elliptical workout this week, and I use a few apps but I truly cannot imagine parting with my collection. My DVDs and VHS are like my best friends, they're always there for me on good days and bad, just like my fur baby is!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 10:40 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Our satellite internet (Hughes.net) is very poor for streaming. I usually download any workouts I want to do and put them on my iPad.

It also bothers me to pay for something I will never own. Something that might disappear one day. Yep, I'm a dinosaur!

I love my DVDs!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 11:25 AM  
cailleach

Gosh, what a brave thing to do, getting rid of your DVDs.

I don't think I could ever do that. Some of my favorites are on VHS tapes and are considered out of print. Ya think I'm gonna part with my tapes?!
I did burn them to DVD-Rs and of course some DVD-R went bad. So glad I kept the tapes. Whew!

I still do DVDs because some are really good and it's like visiting an old friend.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-21, 11:25 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Our satellite internet (Hughes.net) is very poor for streaming. I usually download any workouts I want to do and put them on my iPad.

It also bothers me to pay for something I will never own. Something that might disappear one day. Yep, I'm a dinosaur!

I love my DVDs!
I am a dinosaur also. I use you tube all the time, but I will never get rid of my DVDs.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup dvds, copy dvds, dvd software for laptop, dvds versus streaming, ripping dvds, streaming vs dvds