Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-11, 11:13 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Rejuvenation Walk & Stretch with Kathy Smith

This is just for the walk portion, not the stretch. I don't have a strap to do the stretch with and the towel I used as a sub was just annoying.

I got this at a used book store. I don't know if it is still available in retail.
I feel that new this may have come with hand weights (look like 1 pounders) and a stretching strap.

So I like Kathy Smith. I don't have issues with "whooing," but she doesn't do any in this workout so it is all good. She is by herself in this. It is a "2-mile" walk.

The set is a standard, but attractive, living room/workout area set.

If you have the Matrix Method Power Walk for Weight Loss with Kathy, this is very similar.

You just start into the workout, no obligatory warmup. There is a short cool down and stretch at the end, very much a Leslie cool down.

Kathy holds handweights that probably came with the original set.

The steps are no more difficult than a box step (which trips me up each and every time) and the salsa. The matrix is invoked just once for about five minutes (the matrix is just using the floor as a clock and putting your foot at 9:00, 12:00, etc).

There is a lot of TIFTing, with it being built up, then doing something eight times, then backing off to four then two then one. And then doing it on the other side.

She gets more enthusiastic and throws herself into it more as the workout goes on.

There are some squats thrown in there and there, but fleeting. You can always just walk in place during them.

It goes by quickly, the music is inoffensive.

Kathy is in all black for the walk (not the pink and grey on the cover or the blue and gray on the back). It is easy to see what her legs are doing. She uses her arms a lot in the workout, just following her leg movements. Nonthreatening, not difficult.

Kathy talks encouragingly but doesn't ramble. This is a very easy DVD to do with the sound off.

I like doing walking workouts with Kathy. Her fabulously long legs reach the ground, just as mine do. On some of her workouts (and I have tons) I have to look at a backgrounder to see if I am holding a position correctly since her legs seem to be elastic and bend and stretch in ways my stumps just won't do.

All in all, an enjoyable 30 minutes or so. I am glad I have it in my extensive walking collection. I have at least three Kathy walk workouts and literally 30 plus Leslies so I don't mind having repetition and if I like the instructor/format I enjoy having lots to choose from.

If you are a one-Leslie, one-walking-format, one-yoga-format, one-of-anything-is-good-for-me person, this is not the Kathy walk I would go for because I enjoy a little cheese with my Kathy. If you like cheesy I would look for Matrix Method Power Walk for Weigh Loss or even (VHS only, I think) March to Fitness. If you don't like cheese with your workout, stick with this one. Nary a cheddar in sight.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 09:07 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Renda, the version with the stretch workout was one of the discs that came in a General Nutrition Center-specific kit a couple of Christmases ago. It had the red looped stretch strap and the soft weights as well as some bands and tubing and a couple of other DVDs. It kept popping up for really low prices at some GNC stores and some clearence sites on-line so many VFers bought it for just the parts they wanted and broke the set up. I traded for the walking/stretch disc and the strap. The stretch really needs the kind of strap that is a series of loops. That kind of strap is availalbe if you think you would use it enough.

The walking workout also came alone on a DVD in a Rejuvenation kit with the soft weights and a basic pedometer. Since I work out and have DVDs in two different places, I have that one, too, and can verify the walking workout is the same in both. I got my kit version from Amazon in November of 2009 but they seemed to get in one lot of this series and not replace them as they sold out.

I didn't like Kathy's other Matrix walking DVD but mainly because of the weird and frenetic fiming style with goofy cowboy costumes and walkers occasionally superimposed on moving artsy backgrounds. Also, Kathy was in one of her hyper moods in that one. Here I get the workout without too much distraction. She does have some trouble with the counting when she can't figure out if it's a four beat or two beat rep and she gets her clock positions off at least once, but she actually does the right number of moves on each side so I can live with it. The set is bright and serene and there are no backrounders for Kathy to bounce off of. Pretty calm for a Kathy Smith.

Unfortunately, either version is going to be kind of hard to find except by luck. I don't think many got distributed in the first place and they've both been OOP for almost two years. I never did see on-line clips. One with the stretch did just get traded on the swap, so they are around occasionally, at least here where they were a big topic as people searched out the best deals on the big kit while the prices and availability bounced all over the map and debated if the workouts were the same on the different versions of the kits.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 09:59 PM  
Donna D

The kit without the stretch and strap is currently available online at Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 10:01 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Hey, look at this - found the walking workout/soft weights/pedometer kit availalbe on line at:

Sears $14.39+7.25 shipping to Seattle or ship to a store for free

Target $16.99+?shipping - seems to be free shipping with a Target charge card - not marked as eligable for free shipping with a minimum order and it wouldn't show me the shipping charge without putting in my credit card number, probably so they'd know if it was free. The page on shipping charges said you had to go through check out to find out.

K-Mart $18.59 + same shipping as Sears

AAAnd...
Who'd a thunk it.
from Kathy Smith's site with a free MP3 of an audio walking workout. $19.99 but shipping is a whopping $17.90 for default 3 day or $15.51 for regular when I put it in a cart!

Plus it looks like Kathy has the whole kit with the Walk and Stretch version, too, though just marked down to $40 rather the $12 to $25 that got VFers so worked up before. Same shipping cost, which makes more sense since this is about the size of two shoeboxes end-to-end as I remember from when I looked at it at my local GNC.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 10:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Renda, i was just searching on the web for Kathy's Rejuvenation walking workout....! you're lucky you found it in the used bookstore. thanks for the review - i too have my share of Kathy's walking workouts. i am a huge fan of her audio workouts (WalkFit series) and have all of them! the audios are "whoop-free" too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
or even (VHS only, I think) March to Fitness. If you don't like cheese with your workout, stick with this one. Nary a cheddar in sight.
March to Fitness is available on DVD, combined with 2 other workouts, and the compilation DVD is called Shed the Pounds.

i think her cheesiest workout might be the "Weight Loss Workout", which i have on one of her compilation DVDs, Strong Sleek & Slim.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 07:54 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Yes, Weight Loss Workout is really dated, but it's still a keeper for me Haven't done it in ages...go figure.
Old 12-30-11, 09:03 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I should try this workout again. I bought it at GNC's 2011 fitness resolution sale last year. First time I tried it, it seemed the be poorly edited, as if pieces were chopped together. Now I'm curious to try it again.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 05:12 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Hmmm, Pat, I didn't really notice the bad editing but sometimes I need a sign that says "this is a problem" before I notice a real problem.

Thanks for all the compilation info. I am sometimes "scared" to buy some thing of Kathy's because I figure I probably have it with a different name/configuration.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathy smith, kathy smith compilations, rejuvenation, shed the pounds, strong sleek slim, walking workouts