Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-22, 11:33 PM  
bfit

Opinions re: effectiveness of pool exercise

I exercise in a pool a lot (swimming, water running, water aerobics) because of a foot problem. I can't run or do aerobics. My doctor is really down on pool exercise. She says it's not very "effective" and is really only for people who can't do anything else. She really pushes biking, but I don't like biking that much because it's so boring. Within 15 minutes I just want to be done. What does anyone else think about pool exercise?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 12:58 AM  
OSusanna

I've been working on my swimming since late spring of this year. I have also done some water aerobics. Here are my thoughts:

1. It's true that I see a fair number of people who are in the pool doing their exercise are there because it is the better modality for physical limitations/aggravations (this includes me). But I couldn't say that the pool is filled 100% with people who could/should be doing a different workout. I don't think that is true.

2. There isn't any evidence that water aerobics isn't inherently aerobic. Someone wanting to expand their cardiovascular system has the opportunity in class to do so. I found it to be aerobic. I also found those pool weights to shred the arms.

3. One of the things I have noticed about people and their workouts is that there is a tendency to hear a need for a workout as a chance to give suggestions based on preferences and not actual data. A runner has always recommended running. A cross fitter always recommends cross fit. Cyclists/spin people always recommend a bike. Before my injury? I recommended videos! I think it's possible your doctor is recommending what works for them. It also may be that a bike is better for building muscle and bone in the lower body compared to the water but they weren't able to communicate that in such a way so that you could think critically about a)whether that is a concern for you and b) if so what activities could fit the bill.

4. Swimming in particular has a skill/technique based component to it in order to reap the rewards. I started out as a beginner and probably will be a beginner for the next year or so. I am now able to complete 900 yards freestyle in 30 minutes. This is a great improvement for me! But when I put that effort into a calorie calculator, I might as well have just gone for a leisurely stroll. There will have to be more effort on my part to burn calories and build muscle with swimming. And I need more coaching. So it may be that your doctor has seen people in the pool not expending enough effort to get results.

5. I think I need to add weight training back to my weekly routines. I don't think that (even consistent) pool exercise is enough for muscle building/maintenance. When i say weight training, I really mean Margaret Richard.

Curious what your thoughts are to my soapbox here.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 01:17 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It's excellent exercise as long you're not leisurely about it. I think your doc has a prejudice. You can monitor your heart rate swimming just as you can with any land activity.
Old 12-01-22, 04:47 AM  
Negin

I strongly disagree with your doctor. You may wish to look at this thread. I remember posting here.
Old 12-01-22, 07:58 AM  
donnamp

I am not a swimmer or water exercise person - but I think your doctor is totally wrong! Swimmers have amazing strength and stamina.

I mean, sure, you can take it easy and play around in the water (but the same could be said for someone walking - stroll vs. power walk or biking - gentle ride vs. more intense ride)- but if you are working out and putting in the level of effort that suits your current level of fitness, I can't see how it wouldn't be an effective form of exercise.

I can't imagine why a doctor would discourage someone from doing a form of exercise that they enjoy and that works w/ any physical limitations they have.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 07:01 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Right, Donna! Stick with what you enjoy and what you'll do (not to mention what you *can* do)! Sometimes doctors miss the mark....
Old 12-01-22, 07:04 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I've done water aerobics classes when I was at different weights and physical condition. I found that I could get a really good workout regardless of my weight or physical conditioning as I would work hard for whatever level I was at. You can add resistance different ways and, like someone said upstream, found you get out of it what you put into it.

Your doctor may have seen some gentle classes with elderly people? Or like someone else said, people tend to recommend what they do...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-22, 02:42 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Even if your stroke is not efficient you may burn more calories because you thrash around a bit. As your stroke becomes more efficient you can go longer and faster and increase calories that way. It's all good. You got bad advice from that doc. You're working around an injury and that's a good thing.
Old 12-02-22, 05:28 PM  
kristiep

For me, lap swimming is when I get the most benefit. But if it works for you, do whatever keeps you moving and where you see benefits.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pool running, pool workout, swimming, water aerobics