Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-22, 10:48 AM  
donnamp

5 Exercise Myths Debunked

I thought this video was interesting.

It reinforces the philosophy that I have come to as late - there is no one size fits all and you don't need to do anything fancy or crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1De...&index=3&t=48s

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-22, 11:55 AM  
prettyinpink

His book is interesting. I recommend it.

I am not sure we can compare ourselves to the few modern versions of hunter gatherer societies and decide the amount of sleep, movement, running, they do is appropriate for us in modern societies. He says at the end that there is not one prescription, but all his comparisons are of these other populations. If these societies in fact sleep only 6.5 hours, for example, that doesn’t mean that this amount is optimal for longevity, or that something about our stress or sleeping in well-lighted cities n homes with electricity, or on soft mattresses, means something different for us.

I think Katie Bowman and others gets at some similar things, but then say we’d do better to sit on the floor, get rid of some of the furniture, sleep on the floor, get up and down more through the day. I can’t remember now if Lieberman recommends similar things in his book.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-22, 12:06 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Thanks for the link!
Old 11-15-22, 12:44 PM  
Negin

Thank you. I look forward to watching it. The book looks interesting as well.
Old 11-15-22, 12:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

book title is:

Exercised: Why Something We Never Evolved to Do Is Healthy and Rewarding by anthropologist Daniel Lieberman

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-22, 01:05 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I suspect hunter gatherers take naps during the hottest parts of the day. The siesta is still a thing in a lot of Latin Countries. As far as fidgeting, I think I'm a born fidgeter. It's always been hard to sit without getting up for no reason except I feel like it. I think there are lots of people like me.

I know that a lot of older people have problems getting up and down from the ground. Last 4th of July picnic, I noticed it among people that were not that old.

Tags
daniel lieberman, exercise myths, fitness books, fitness myths