Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-22, 06:45 AM  
Diana3271

Workout log book for gym

I have started going to the gym a couple times a week. Does anyone have a recommendation for a log book for gym machines? TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-22, 10:47 AM  
rhbrand

I have this one and really like it

https://www.amazon.com/Workout-Log-J...%2C180&sr=8-12
Old 10-15-22, 11:33 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Last time I was in Barnes and Noble, I saw a few different ones. You may want to look them over see if there's something that suits you.
Old 10-15-22, 11:44 AM  
prettyinpink

I just use a small spiral notebook, I think it’s 5x8. I divide each page lengthwise into 2. Each side is a workout day.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-22, 09:12 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Thank you for the link. I'll take a look.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 10-15-22, 09:14 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Last time I was in Barnes and Noble, I saw a few different ones. You may want to look them over see if there's something that suits you.
I can look the next time I'm in that area. I do like the idea of being able to check it out before I buy.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 10-15-22, 09:24 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I just use a small spiral notebook, I think it’s 5x8. I divide each page lengthwise into 2. Each side is a workout day.
Do you write the name of the equipment each time?

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 10-16-22, 11:46 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Do you write the name of the equipment each time?
although you addressed this to Pretty In Pink, I have a few comments.

It would be good to do so, at least for the first few weeks, and then you'll develop a system based on how you structure weekly plans. It sounds nerdy to have to write everything down while you're trying to walk around the place and reserve your spot at the various machines and equipment. but there's a few ways to make it less so.

my DH is a PE teacher and i'd occasionally go to the school's weight room that has machines and free weights. i'm good at knowing what free weights to use, including bench press. but with machines, I could never remember what setting! so that would have been a good thing to track on a notebook.

back to my suggestion - if you know which machines/equipment you're going to do for a 3-day-a-week gym rotation for example, you can pre-write them in your notebook. this way, when you're at the machine or waiting your turn, you can quickly write in the poundage/setting, reps and sets. you could even pre-write the poundage/reps/sets beforehand and just check it off or make little edits as you check them off if you tweaked it a little.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-22, 12:33 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

back to my suggestion - if you know which machines/equipment you're going to do for a 3-day-a-week gym rotation for example, you can pre-write them in your notebook. this way, when you're at the machine or waiting your turn, you can quickly write in the poundage/setting, reps and sets. you could even pre-write the poundage/reps/sets beforehand and just check it off or make little edits as you check them off if you tweaked it a little.
This. I go in knowing what I’m going to do, and pre-write several days at a time. I use 4-6 week rotations.
I sometimes make a notation next to each execise in smaller print, as to what I used for my best set the week before, e.g. 50#x 9, so I go in knowing what to start with. Or if I don’t do that, I can just flip back one page and see the week before.

If I hit a busy day at the gym and would have to wait too long to use a machine I want, I note a reorder of exercises by switching letters “A” and “B”, for example. Or I just make a note on the press that I did the presses after the pushups, for example, instead of before, if it’s an exercise working some of the same muscles such that switching the order might affect the amount of weight or reps I could do on the second.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-22, 01:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
This. I go in knowing what I’m going to do, and pre-write several days at a time. I use 4-6 week rotations.
I sometimes make a notation next to each execise in smaller print, as to what I used for my best set the week before, e.g. 50#x 9, so I go in knowing what to start with. Or if I don’t do that, I can just flip back one page and see the week before.

If I hit a busy day at the gym and would have to wait too long to use a machine I want, I note a reorder of exercises by switching letters “A” and “B”, for example. Or I just make a note on the press that I did the presses after the pushups, for example, instead of before, if it’s an exercise working some of the same muscles such that switching the order might affect the amount of weight or reps I could do on the second.
++++

excellent points!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, journal, journals, logging, workout log, workout logs