Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-22, 11:16 AM  
kat999

Chest press equitable replacement for pushups?

I basically can't do pushups. I've tried them from my toes and essentially can't even get down an inch. I can make slightly better progress from my knees in an incline/plank pose, and I can do them from a wall, but I feel like that's not really doing anything. I've seen some people demonstrate them in tabletop position, which I can do, but that has started aggravating my pectoral muscles in a way that feels uncomfortable.

Recently in a Jari Love video I've done tons of times, I noticed her recommend doing chest press in lieu of pushups if you literally can't do them. For some reason, I never noticed her make this recommendation before.

Does this seem like a reasonable swap out? Does it actually work the same muscles? I feel like you may be still getting the arm benefit but not any of the abdominal benefit, since a pushup also works the core when done correctly. However, if I did chest presses instead and slowly increased my weight size, could that help me to eventually do a proper pushup since my arm strength would get me through? Maybe?
Old 10-09-22, 11:37 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I am terrible at push-ups! Even after being in the military, at my physical peak they were always the hardest thing for me to do. Now - NOT at my physical peak - I try to perform them at an incline instead of on my knees. So yes, wall push-ups, gradually moving your feet farther from the wall as you get stronger. I agree with you though, sometimes that doesn't seem quite as effective as I'd like. I don't know if you have a barre, or Cathe's Turbo Tower or Fit Tower, or a squat rack, but what I've done in the past in workouts with a lot of push-ups is to use one of these (I have a squat rack and Fit Tower) and do push-ups on the bar with the bar set at whatever height is comfortable for me to do the push-ups. As I progress, I can move the bar down a notch (which is about 2 inches) and eventually get lower.

Another option is a step platform if you have one. Either a full size step with a ton of risers on each side to start and then just remove risers as you get better, or a high step - you just have less hand placement options.

All of these options allow me to keep my body in the full plank position but the higher the angle, the less of your own body weight you will be pressing. Stairs also work as well, if you have a staircase in your home!
Old 10-09-22, 11:59 AM  
kat999

Oh, those are all good ideas! I don't have a tower but I do have several steps of various and adjustable heights. Maybe I'll try some progressive work to see if I can eventually do them right.
Old 10-09-22, 12:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Does this seem like a reasonable swap out? Does it actually work the same muscles? I feel like you may be still getting the arm benefit but not any of the abdominal benefit, since a pushup also works the core when done correctly. However, if I did chest presses instead and slowly increased my weight size, could that help me to eventually do a proper pushup since my arm strength would get me through? Maybe?
Bench press:
Bench press works the chest, similar to push-ups. you can increase the poundage, and you should be tightening the core to protect your back. you can position your elbows to work the triceps while doing bench press. you can do supine flyes while you're laying on the bench.

Push-ups:
push-ups are primarily a chest move similar to bench press. however, as you noted, the arms and core receive more benefit than with bench press.

there are some good youtube videos on how to work up to a full push-up. and there are some VF threads where VFers describe how they worked up to doing push-ups on their toes.

the other posts in this thread offer good advice toward a full push-up. you can always do planks, which are static, and work everything that a push-up does.

it's totally OK to do push-ups on your knees - it works the chest and if you angle it properly, you can work the core too.

i found that i can do MANY "decline" push-ups in good form, with straight legs of course, with my feet on either a tall box or a stability ball. go figure. i think it's because i'm forced to use my core effectively.

check out the tags, and this thread that is included in the tag link:
Awesome Push-Up Hack

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 12:08 PM  
bubbles76

This thread has an awesome push up hack. Push ups used to be a problem for me too. I should say, wide grip push ups were a problem for me, as they gave me terrible rotator cuff problems. I now only do diamond and close grip push ups. I still feel it in my chest.

I say, do whatever causes you to feel that tension in the chest. And if you are concerned about getting in extra ab work, bend your knees until they are right at 90 degree angles to your hips (dead bug position, hope that makes sense). Knee placement must be precise. Then do your chest flyes or chest presses like normal. I always feel it in my abs because for some reason bending the knees at the position causes me to automatically pull in my abs more. hth.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 12:19 PM  
Venus

Chest presses seem like a reasonable substitute for push-ups, especially if you also add planks for core work.

Regarding wall push-ups, it may help to check your form if you're not feeling the work.

Brian Syuki - Focus Fitness: How to Do Wall Push Ups Correctly

I like this video, which explains proper push-up form and gives progressions for building up to full push-ups:

Massy Arias: Stop Doing Girl Push Ups and Do Them Right (the Perfect Progression for Women and Beginners)

She gives an explanation on form in the beginning, but if you want to go straight to the progressions:

Jump to progressions
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 12:23 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
And if you are concerned about getting in extra ab work, bend your knees until they are right at 90 degree angles to your hips (dead bug position, hope that makes sense). Knee placement must be precise. Then do your chest flyes or chest presses like normal. I always feel it in my abs because for some reason bending the knees at the position causes me to automatically pull in my abs more. hth.
Great suggestion!
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 12:36 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This thread has an awesome push up hack. Push ups used to be a problem for me too. I should say, wide grip push ups were a problem for me, as they gave me terrible rotator cuff problems. I now only do diamond and close grip push ups. I still feel it in my chest.

I say, do whatever causes you to feel that tension in the chest. And if you are concerned about getting in extra ab work, bend your knees until they are right at 90 degree angles to your hips (dead bug position, hope that makes sense). Knee placement must be precise. Then do your chest flyes or chest presses like normal. I always feel it in my abs because for some reason bending the knees at the position causes me to automatically pull in my abs more. hth.
Just coming to share my post about this. But you beat me to it. Thanks! This has been a wonderful hack for me.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 01:53 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I very often do chest presses instead of push-ups and vice versa.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 05:23 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I basically can't do pushups. I've tried them from my toes and essentially can't even get down an inch. I can make slightly better progress from my knees in an incline/plank pose, and I can do them from a wall, but I feel like that's not really doing anything. I've seen some people demonstrate them in tabletop position, which I can do, but that has started aggravating my pectoral muscles in a way that feels uncomfortable.

Recently in a Jari Love video I've done tons of times, I noticed her recommend doing chest press in lieu of pushups if you literally can't do them. For some reason, I never noticed her make this recommendation before.

I could have written all of this! I have never been able to do a proper push-up. I can do chest presses all day long…but it does seem it doesn’t hit as many muscles. Wall presses certainly don’t feel like they work anything for me. They feel super easy, plus the angle seems painful to my wrists.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chest press, push up progressions, push ups, pushups