Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-22, 07:38 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thank you, Donna. I don’t think I’m going to try any more of the new set. I did get the 5K walk (which ended up hurting my back) and the Stretch one which is fine. It is definitely disappointing.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-22, 07:39 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
You are so not alone! I have arthritis and bone spurs in my lower back, and I love Jessica but have major pain the next day after doing her workouts. I do believe for me it is all of the hip hinging and the fast pace with twisting.

This is more "senior" oriented, but Curtis has some balancing that might help. I believe YogaPam was the one who posted about this some time ago https://www.youtube.com/user/Vitalit...ts?app=desktop

Maybe we need a check in!
Thank you, I will check it out!
Old 09-16-22, 07:48 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Lori-Wow! How interesting about the perimenopause and the estrogen. I am dealing with this as well! But, why do only Jessica (and Ellen but I have only dabbled in Ellen whereas Jessica was my mainstay) workouts hurt my back? I was doing harder workouts with Denise Austin and Kathy Smith. In fact, even some of my Leslie’s had me at a higher average and peak heart rate (I do add weighted vest, gloves, etc). I would either do 6 Jessicas a week or 5 Jessicas a week and 1 Ellen. I would mix cardio, strength, barefoot fusion, and yoga/stretch. So, I am baffled. When I switched to all Leslie, I had zero back pain and that is WITH the twisty, shuffle, bouncing, jogging, jump rope moves! It’s just so odd and frustrating. I miss working out with my regular crew (Jessica, Beth, and Debbie). Out of curiosity, which Tracie Long workout do you do? I hope you and your husband are feeling better. Thank you for your kind words. We are hanging in there but it’s very emotionally devastating having a sick loved one. Setting up hospice now.
Old 09-16-22, 08:23 AM  
donnamp

Hi Gemini -

I'm sorry about your family situation. That is hard.

I would say to definitely NOT do anything that hurts even if you feel you are losing out on an element of fitness (Balance). There has got to be another way for you to work on your balance w/out hurting yourself. Try some You Tube videos for balance - Jessica Valent, Lively Ladies, comes to mind as having some balance videos. You can also do daily things that will improve your balance - for instance, standing on one foot to wash dishes or brush your teeth will help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_JLaUxNwo&t=1667s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0kLu8_csmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJFjCRvz1U&t=1131s

You mentioned Jane Adams - I believe she has a whole video dedicated to balance. And, w/ stuff like balance, I think doing a little bit 5-10 min every day is better than doing a whole lot once in awhile.

Lori - thanks for sharing your workout regimen. It sounds right up my alley.

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-22, 09:45 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Sorry you are going through this along with a sick family member. {{hugs}}

I have had low back issues for quite a while. For me, I definitely think it's Jessica's quick wood chop move with a weight that triggered it for me. I remember that move specifically. I also have trouble with forward-hinging moves including in pilates workouts. I don't do Jessica's workouts often though I would love to be able to.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-22, 09:49 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Lori-Wow! How interesting about the perimenopause and the estrogen. I am dealing with this as well! But, why do only Jessica (and Ellen but I have only dabbled in Ellen whereas Jessica was my mainstay) workouts hurt my back? I was doing harder workouts with Denise Austin and Kathy Smith. In fact, even some of my Leslie’s had me at a higher average and peak heart rate (I do add weighted vest, gloves, etc). I would either do 6 Jessicas a week or 5 Jessicas a week and 1 Ellen. I would mix cardio, strength, barefoot fusion, and yoga/stretch. So, I am baffled. When I switched to all Leslie, I had zero back pain and that is WITH the twisty, shuffle, bouncing, jogging, jump rope moves! It’s just so odd and frustrating. I miss working out with my regular crew (Jessica, Beth, and Debbie). Out of curiosity, which Tracie Long workout do you do? I hope you and your husband are feeling better. Thank you for your kind words. We are hanging in there but it’s very emotionally devastating having a sick loved one. Setting up hospice now.
My goodness, setting up hospice is so emotionally devastating. I lost my sister-in-law five years ago and that still affects me out of the blue sometimes. I'm so utterly sorry for you and your family. There are so many of us who have dealt with that, and likely are going through it now too. I'm sure many of us know the pain and utter helplessness you're feeling. Many hugs to you.

My lower back issues were baffling too! I really think mine are estrogen related, as odd as that sounds. But perimenopause has been physically rough and bizarre, so I'm really not sure why it acts up and then seemingly goes away for stretches of time. And I, too, can do much tougher workouts (like Cathe or Tracie) and be TOTALLY fine but then do a Jessica (and some Ellen's) workout and boom it hurts. I do think mine is nerve related, especially since I have had other nerve issues with perimenopause. But other than just assuming that's what it is, I have no real way to deal with it, you know? Just knowing when to back off of things is about it I guess.

I, too, am fine with Leslie's walks. Perhaps it's the increased amount of circulation simply because I get way more steps in during a Leslie workout instead of Jessica. It is totally odd and perplexing. Some Ellen moves also trigger mine but not enough to stop her workouts. If I remember to tuck under enough, then I'm fine. (But my memory is also foggy these days! Again, perimenopause agrh!)

In terms of Tracie workouts, I do a lot of her 30-minute ones, so the Metabolic Strength series, Core Movement/Mobility series, Focus series, and also her Longevity series which are 50 mins but are usually 30 mins with 20 mins on the floor with strengthening and stretching. I love all of her workouts but I have some trouble with her later workouts since there are more plank/bodyweight stuff, but I modify those just by using a sturdy chair instead of going to the floor. Her workouts really focus on balance and mobility and I know I've benefited from consistently doing them (even with all the modifying!).

I also still love Cathe Live (but I don't do the more cardio-based ones) and have zero back problems with those, which is completely odd and bizarre.

When I consistently stick to my current workout schedule and not try to do more, I seem to be okay(ish). When I do more than my body can currently handle, everything acts up. Perimenopause has sure taught me the lesson of just listening to what my body is telling me instead of trying to do what I want to do!

Edited to add that I just bent over to pick something up off the floor and now my lower back is twingy again... I swear, getting old sucks!!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-22, 10:00 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
You can also do daily things that will improve your balance - for instance, standing on one foot to wash dishes or brush your teeth will help!

Lori - thanks for sharing your workout regimen. It sounds right up my alley.

Take care,

Donna
I do the same thing, Donna! I try to stand on one foot while doing dishes or brushing my teeth, too! I often do CS hip cleaners while cooking dinner at the stove or just standing somewhere.

After much workout schedule tweaking, my current routine has been helpful to my poor body, especially when I wake up feeling 90 every day! Perimenopause is not for the faint of heart! I really have been the Goldilocks of workouts in the past few years...

Edited to add that my week currently looks like this:
Sun-- short Ellen (15 or 20 min)
Mon-- Leslie 30 or 45 min
Tues -- Tracie or Ellen 30 min (or 45/50 min sometimes) (depends on how I'm feeling that week if I opt for Tracie or Ellen)
Wed-- CS/Ess 30 min or less
Thurs-- Leslie 30 (or 45 min if it's not too "boosted")
Friday -- Cathe Live (max 45 mins)
Saturday -- CS/Ess 30 min or less, sometimes I sneak in an easy 30 min walk on the treadmill or outside if I have time

I just try to fit it all in terms of cardio, strength, stretching/mobility and then repeat it kind of. Gives my muscles/joints time to recover but not overdoing anything one thing.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-22, 11:21 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I believe it was me who mentioned Curtis, but possibly yogapam has, also. ;-)

Here's one of the Curtis Adams threads....

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ghlight=curtis

I use his workouts when I need something more gentle.

Gemini2874, I hope you feel better!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-22, 11:53 AM  
tracyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I believe it was me who mentioned Curtis, but possibly yogapam has, also.

Here's one of the Curtis Adams threads....

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ghlight=curtis

I use his workouts when I need something more gentle.

Gemini2874, I hope you feel better!
So Sorry! You are correct - got my Pams mixed up.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-22, 02:24 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
So Sorry! You are correct - got my Pams mixed up.
No problem at all, tracyb!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain, jessica smith, leslie, leslie sansone, walking workouts