Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-16, 08:07 AM  
Sara1000

I just got Muscle Up because I wanted a true slow and heavy workout to add to my mostly walking regimen. I have a question: does Kelly use momentum to lift those heavy weights? It certainly looks like it to me. And is that OK to do?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 09:33 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
Keep in mind Cardio Pump and Lean Body Circuits are $11.89 at Target. And she does have a sale coming up - not sure which ones will be included on it. I doubt Strength & Stamina and AC2 since they just rolled out.
She's selling at Target! Really? Awesome. I just have to say Weights is my favorite weight dvd of hers. It's thorough and tough. This coming from more of a high rep/low weight gal.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 10:23 AM  
jennstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Me, too! I'm still doing it, still LOVING IT (!!!) and have been thinking I should come back and post an update now that I know the workout pretty well. Thanks for bumping this.

I have rarely done strength-only rotations (I think I've done one once, about 7 years ago); I love circuits, so that's what I'm really used to. WOW, you can really lift a lot heavier if you're not also using half your energy for hard cardio!! I've already broken out heavier weights than I'm usually accustomed to until much later in a rotation. I'm continuing to use whatever weight feels appropriate to me, not necessarily following Kelly's pyramid (frex, her heavies are much heavier than mine, so when she switches to lights for some of the leg workouts, I'll stick with the same weight throughout).

I mentioned that the biceps work is too much for my cranky shoulder; I made an easy-peasy swap to abs!

The last thing I wanted to mention, because I know a lot of people definitely care about this: This workout is timed (one minute per exercise), so you don't count reps. Kelly stresses that the number of reps you'll get depends on the weights you choose and that you should go at your own pace, not necessarily follow her. I personally like this format, but it might not be for you, so I thought I should bring it up.

That's what I love most about this workout. It is extremely versatile, I can go very heavy with slow reps, or lighter with faster reps. I did it yesterday, and I wish I could do it again today!
jennstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 11:08 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I just got Muscle Up because I wanted a true slow and heavy workout to add to my mostly walking regimen. I have a question: does Kelly use momentum to lift those heavy weights? It certainly looks like it to me. And is that OK to do?
I really like Muscle Up. Unfortunately, Kelly's form is not great in the workout. She is obviously lifting too heavy and does use momentum and other body moves to lift. This was my first KCM workout and I was surprised after hearing all the raves about her.

I wouldn't use Muscle Up for form pointers!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 11:29 AM  
rheash92

Does anyone have the breakdown of the interval mix premix in the cardio pump DVD? I want to try it this way. Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 12:05 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Yes, Kelly's form particularly for the rows is not good. Her shoulder exercise form was not great either. Her backgrounders had better form than she did for a lot of it. To be fair, I will call out how great her form was on the push ups.

Sometimes it is ok to use momentum because you're doing a power move. For example, standard overhead press, no power. Make that into a push press and you are deliberately using your hips and legs to power the weight overhead. Strength coaches use that as exercise to train shoulder strength.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 01:13 PM  
CharM

I did Pump for the first time this morning. It's tough! I just know I'm going to be sore tonight. It's funny that I bought this dvd for the cardio part, but I think I prefer Pump. Oh, my right shoulder didn't like wide press at the end (and I have no known shoulder issues), so I did calf raises instead. I don't really like chest work anyway.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 04:55 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Sometimes it is ok to use momentum because you're doing a power move. For example, standard overhead press, no power. Make that into a push press and you are deliberately using your hips and legs to power the weight overhead. Strength coaches use that as exercise to train shoulder strength.
Kelly talks about this, too (and does this specific move), in Cardio Pump. There are places where I'm not 100% sure about her form/the momentum thing (the way she does her triceps kickbacks just looks *painful,*), but she says, "You might have to cheat a little to get past a heavy sticking point. And I'm the teacher, and I'm telling you it's OK to cheat." And, "I'm trying to build strength, so I'm going to sometimes use little tricks to help me get through."

So... I'm an experienced exerciser, and *I* don't know what's a "cheat" vs bad form/using a weight that's too heavy. It's been drilled into me my entire exercising life that the proper weight is the heaviest one you can lift, doing every rep with good form. So Kelly can do what she wants; I'm sticking with what I've always been taught!!
Old 01-18-16, 04:59 PM  
sherry7899

Gem-you are like me-I have Margaret Richard's voice in my head telling me to only lift as heavy as I can if I am using good form for EVERY rep. I will always follow that. If I do "cheating" moves I'd probably hurt myself.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 05:39 PM  
Sara1000

Thanks. I'll continue to do the workout as I like the pace, but I will not use such heavy weights that I need momentum to get it up there.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio pump, kcm, kcm cardio pump, kcm weights, kelly coffey-meyer, momentum, muscle up, pyramid, weights