Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-08, 03:33 PM  
gtmrfc

I haven't received mine either. How were they shipped?
gtmrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 03:34 PM  
antbuko

I think it was just regular mail.
Old 04-01-08, 03:53 PM  
ssgilby

I received mine today! Yay! Didn't think I did as I thought I had asked that it be shipped to my office and it wasn't in this morning's mail, but when I went home for lunch, there it was! It came just First Class mail, I think. I'll be doing this w/o in the morning. Can't wait!
Old 04-01-08, 04:25 PM  
videofit

I just popped over to Collage to look at a clip again. Some of those moves look downright scary. What is the one where she holds dumbbells and bends down and to one side to touch her foot? Bending and twisting like that have me in fear I'll hurt my lower back. Is there a trick to doing it correctly? Does she give you form pointers?

What the heck was that move where it looked like she had some band or towel connecting her dumbbells, which she held up at shoulder height with the band or towel draped over the neck? It's at the end of the clip. She sort of bent down and did a twisty-jerky move. I've never seen that before! Yikes!
Old 04-01-08, 04:38 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit
What the heck was that move where it looked like she had some band or towel connecting her dumbbells, which she held up at shoulder height with the band or towel draped over the neck? It's at the end of the clip. She sort of bent down and did a twisty-jerky move. I've never seen that before! Yikes!
There are no dumbbells, she's wearing gloves.
Old 04-01-08, 04:41 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Is there a trick to doing it correctly? Does she give you form pointers?
That particular move doesn't look safe to me no matter how you'd do it. It combines weighted twisting of the spine with rounding of the back (unless you have Cirque du soleil flexibility). I would just sub with a modified deadlift.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 04:42 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, a lot of her 'standing ab' moves are very fast and jerky.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 04:55 PM  
pattyd0319

Quote:
I just popped over to Collage to look at a clip again. Some of those moves look downright scary. What is the one where she holds dumbbells and bends down and to one side to touch her foot? Bending and twisting like that have me in fear I'll hurt my lower back. Is there a trick to doing it correctly? Does she give you form pointers?

It's actually a towel that she is dropping and picking up from the floor for the standing abs, not a dumbell. I didn't really find the standing abs sections tough but if the twisting bothers you she does have options to substitute low impact cardio moves. And there is a modifier who does not do the twisting in the deadlifts. I liked it but the twisting doesn't bother me. I have however, known a few people who threw their backout from picking up a floppy disc off the floor or stretching so know your limits and modify. The same can be said for any workout- p90x, cathe, etc.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 05:01 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
What is the one where she holds dumbbells and bends down and to one side to touch her foot?
It's a modified deadlift.

Sorry to be quoting you again, videofit, but you're the one who brought this move up and I just wanted to comment. I found it odd that the workout was structured to do two rounds of identical exercises. But Kelly made an exception in this case. The first round she had you do a one-legged deadlift, then the second round was this angled deadlift. I suppose if you don't like the angled deadlift, you could do a standard one, or do another set of one-legged ones.
Old 04-01-08, 05:36 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom
the second round was this angled deadlift.

I never knew such a beast existed! Thanks for the info!

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey-meyer