Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-06, 05:49 AM  
spaceygirl

Question kelly coffey-Cathe

Hi. I am trying to decide on some new workouts but there are not enough reviews of Shape of Things to Come. Opinions welcome.
Also, starting to get into Cathe (I know I know-what took me so long?)-I'd love some feedback on Cardio and Weights as opposed to waiting for her new low impact circuit thang-sorry but I am on a budget and like to be a real "educated consumer"
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
spaceygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 06:00 AM  
Bebop

Cardio and Weights is one of my all time favorites.

She has 4 cardio sections - I think they are 5 mins long - and inbetween each section is a weight section - for the weight section you do an exercise with light weights then the next exercise it's a heavier weight. You do chest and abs on the floor.

The cardio is step but very modifiable to low impact. The moves are interesting but easy to learn. In fact, the music is so good in this one that on occassion, when my knees really couldn't take any more step, I just pulled out the rebounder and freestyled on it.

If you get the DVD on it is also Imax2. Another favortie of mine.

Cardio & weights has pre-mixes - cardio only, and a couple of weights only pre-mixes.

The production and cueing is great. It's well worth getting. It's not an easy workout - definately high intermediate to advanced but it's modifiable to beginner so it's the type of workout you wouldn't outgrow too quickly.

I don't have any Kelly workouts.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 06:15 AM  
jdbmga

The C&W/IMAX2 DVD is one of my favorites!

I also have and really like KCM TSOTTC.

I don't think you'll regret your decision to buy either one or both of these workouts.
jdbmga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 07:09 AM  
annetteb

I haven't tried KCM, but I would like too. I did Cardio/Weights yesterday. It is a good one, but fair warning, don't do it after Pyramid Upper Body, like some reallly brainy person did . (Me-:-)
Old 09-22-06, 07:34 AM  
roz

If you want to just purchase Cardio+Weights, I have seen it at ebay as a stand alone DVD. I assume this version must have been one that was sold with a step.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 08:37 AM  
ivorygorgon

I have both TSOTTC and C&W. I would say they are both similar in that they alternate weights with cardio, but the syles are very different. C&W is a real fave and I believe that you just can't go wrong with this one. Great music (a cover of Elvis' "A Little Less Satisfaction" - Yummy), fun segments and of course just a great job by Cathe and Crew. And yes, there is that awesome bonus of Imax2

Now, the KCM is done, I think, in the CIA studio so it looks like all of those CIAs. The music is pretty normal canned workout music. BUT, I am really warming up to Kelly and I think we are going to be hearing really good things about her. She has a fun, cheerful, upbeat style without being overwhelmingly so, or whoopee (is that a word?) Her choreography is fairly simple, and the moves are easily modifiable to less impact. She delivers a good solid workout that is enjoyable to do, but won't kill you. Overall, I reallly like this workout. I consider her workouts to be very nice additions to my rotations.

HTH.
ivorygorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 09:02 AM  
spaceygirl

Talking Kelly Coffey-Cathe

Thanks everyone for your info! Keep it coming. I guess I will probably end up buying both (3 actually)
I always count on your good old v-fer knowledge!
spaceygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 10:09 AM  
mtnmom

I like both!

The differences.... the cardio portion of Cardio and Weights is a bit more choreographed and dancy. Not overly complicated, but you definitely need a full-sized step. The weight sections are primarily aimed for upper body. Once you're off the step (the cardio portion), Cathe goes into a compound move; say, lunges with bicep curls. Then onto heavier weights for the upper body.

Kelly's workout has cardio that is more athletic. I just use my High Step topper and a riser or two, the full-sized step isn't needed. She does do plyos and higher impact moves but they're used sparingly and you can modify if needed. The weight work is a nice mix of straight-forward gym-style and functional fitness moves. She works sets for the upper body for the most part, but does have a section of squats and speed-skater type lunges for the lower body.

And I liked the music on TSOTTC. It had a driving dance-club beat. Cardio and Weights has more pop songs that you want to sing along to. But if you don't want to have "Buttercup" in your head all day..... not that that's a bad thing, but for some people it's a problem.

Sounds like you know Cathe's personality. I was very drawn to Kelly's on-screen personna as well. She seems very down to Earth and enjoys what she does. I'm in my 40's and I think Kelly is too, so felt like she's someone I could relate to.

Tags
kcm