Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-18, 09:57 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

De-virginized KCM's Powersculpting on LIFT DVD...

I've had this Kelly Coffey-Meyer DVD for years and years and have never mustered up the courage to do the Olympic Lifting segment -- I know I should try it... Anyhow, fast forward to this past weekend when I jammed my little finger on the hinge-side of our kitchen door so it's now the most swollen, bruised up appendage ever. Clearly no yoga, kettlebells or heavy dumbbells for me, so I dug through my copious collection and settled on doing Margaret Richard routines, maybe a Jari Love DVD or two (that requires courage too -- lower weighs but crazy high reps!) and dusted off LIFT. With my injury, I can comfortably grip 5 lb and 8 lb dumbbells and can grab 10 lbs for a bit (but not for too long!)

I did the Powersculpting segment with 8 lb dumbbells till the later part where Kelly indicates one should drop to lighter weights so I grabbed my 5 lbs dumbbells then. All I can say is WOW . She packs a great workout and amazing music into 33 mins! I am usually not a fan of compound moves but these were done in a controlled manner without fancy coordination required. The only modification I did was to substitute back lunges for forward lunges.

I then tacked on another workout -- Light Dumbbell Cardio Sculpting from her Body Design DVD -- and wasn't anywhere near as impressed. I used 5 lb dumbbells but found this was too taxing on some shoulder-heavy moves and too light for others (and as with this kind of workout, no time to switch weights). It also had a bit of impact that was hard to modify. This is kinda a shorter version of Powersculpting but nowhere near as good and the music was faint too
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 08:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

When Kelly has a hit for me, it's a MAJOR hit.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 08:38 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Powersculpting is one of my favorite KCM workouts!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 08:53 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Tiffany, Powersculpting is a big favorite here! It moves just a bit fast for me, although it certainly keeps your HR up the whole time.

Olympic Lifting is not so scary! I don't do it very often, but I enjoy it when I do. I don't have a barbell so I sub dumbbells like Lauren.

RE Light Dumbbell Sculpting from Body Design, I'm not crazy about that one either. I don't really like the Kickboxing with Dumbbells either, surprising b/c I love kickboxing, including Kelly's prior kickboxing and boxing routines. This one is just boring, not innovative like her other stuff. But I was also surprised that I really like the Cardio Bootcamp--and I'm neither a cardio or a "bootcamp" person! I love the upper and lower body sculpting routines on Body Design too (but the yoga is another miss; very repetitive).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 10:50 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Glad you uncovered this one.

PS was the reason I hunted LIFT down. It is great.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 01:44 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I used the LIFT DVD so many times and did the Olympic lifting workout exactly once. I absolutely loved Powersculpting. I think I need to dig it out and do it again!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 07:06 PM  
YogaGal

I tried to like LIFT, doing it several time using dumbbells (I don't have a barbell) and just couldn't warm up to it. It felt WAAAAY too repetitive. Squat, stand, lift up overhead -- over and over and over. At least that's how I remember it. And yes, I even tried the shorter version and didn't like that one either.

But Powersculpt: I actually use the Timesaver version often which is about 24 minutes.

And I think there is a 8-minute add-on routine that I like, but always forget about.
Old 04-11-18, 08:11 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaGal View Post
I tried to like LIFT, doing it several time using dumbbells (I don't have a barbell) and just couldn't warm up to it. It felt WAAAAY too repetitive. Squat, stand, lift up overhead -- over and over and over. At least that's how I remember it. And yes, I even tried the shorter version and didn't like that one either.

But Powersculpt: I actually use the Timesaver version often which is about 24 minutes.

And I think there is a 8-minute add-on routine that I like, but always forget about.
I agree. I took this out from the library a couple years ago and I never got past viewing it. Just looked very repetitve and boring. Never understood the rave.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 11:50 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Beth, I agree with you on the upper body and lower body segments of Body Design The upper body segment is the perfect add-on to a kettlebell routine (usually 40-45 mins for me, so the extra 15 mins focused on upper body is ideal). The lower body segment is fun too but I just need to figure out when to add it on... I'll have to try the Cardio Bootcamp segment based on your recommendation!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite kcm