Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-19, 10:05 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Endurance vs. Strength for Glutes

I recently very randomly came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBa-EtVvSks

and it's given me some food for thought. Not that I want to grow a huge butt -- nothing wrong with that if it's your thing, but I am 57, so not sure it's even in the cards -- but I could always do with some firming and lifting!! I'm wondering people's thoughts on this vs. something like all the endurance work of Tonique, Barlates, etc. I am sure if nothing else I would benefit from the activation stuff because I've been through some of that with physical therapy. Thoughts?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 10:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Following this discussion because I'm in PT right now for back problems and it turns out severely weak glutes (despite Margaret Richard!) are part of the problem.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 10:46 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Following this discussion because I'm in PT right now for back problems and it turns out severely weak glutes (despite Margaret Richard!) are part of the problem.
Yes, my PT told me the same thing when I was having some low back issues a few years ago.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 11:18 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Bee, thanks for linking to that YT channel! I've just watched a few of their videos and found them informative.

I love doing weighted glute raises. Easier on the back and knees than squats or lunges. They give my pancake butt a little shape.

I haven't done the frog style.

This tutorial is very good:

Best Hip Thrust For Glute Gains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twog5p2ObE

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 11:54 AM  
prettyinpink

I think that including some glute specific weighted exercises is a good idea. I don’t really worry about growing muscle too much. I think in your forties and above at least, your program would have to pretty intense to grow muscle to the point where it is too much.

You can still do Tonique and barre. I think most exercises on those endurance type of workouts are more focused on legs overall than just glutes.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 05:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Pat & Pam, interesting that we were all three in physical therapy for the same problem! I guess it's probably fairly common. I did ask Brett Contreras if I have weak glutes, should I be working them daily and he said yes. I have not consistently done them daily since I stopped physical therapy.

Vintage, you're welcome! They seem to have some good tips on that channel. I just watched the one you referenced -- I have been doing the banded, weighted hip thrusts. And the frog one -- I do that one flat on the ground with my head on the bosu -- got this positioning from Bret. I have a very hard time not having my hamstrings take over on that one.

Prettyinpink, yes, I guess the endurance stuff is for the legs, but in order to give the pancake butt more shape we need to back off the endurance and work on heavier lifting -- so, not mutually exclusive as I was sort of thinking.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 05:42 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

When I went to PT for my knee a few years ago, she gave me exercises to strengthen my glutes, quads and hamstrings, as well as a bunch of stretching exercises. I’m still doing them. She said they all work together.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 06:40 PM  
primrosecat

Well, I have really big glutes. I want to firm them and possibly make them smaller. Way smaller. Any one with advise?
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 06:46 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Well, I have really big glutes. I want to firm them and possibly make them smaller. Way smaller. Any one with advise?
Hmmmm..... maybe check out Bret's stuff (the glute guy) and do it unweighted?? I don't really know -- just guessing.

Tags
glute activation, glutes, hip thrust