Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-15, 10:57 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
I actually really like Jillian Michaels.
Okay then I don't see the problem. Just keep taking breaks, and as you get fitter, you'll need less breaks, right?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 10:59 AM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Okay then I don't see the problem. Just keep taking breaks, and as you get fitter, you'll need less breaks, right?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The problem is I take breaks when I don't need them or take too long of a break. Lack of motivation, but working on it. I'm glad most on here don't have the same issue.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 11:05 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
The problem is I take breaks when I don't need them or take too long of a break. Lack of motivation, but working on it. I'm glad most on here don't have the same issue.
Agreed, it's a motivation issue.

If you are like some of us (more like me); not as healthy and need to keep moving (as a "break"); do intentional movement within your break. Grabbing a coffee, unless you are on-the-spot supervising the meticulous grinding of coffee beans, prepping the milk for a cappuccino, manually doing drip and running back and forth to prepare that coffee, is not intentional movement ...

More power to you if you like Jillian.
Because to some of us, Yick!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 11:21 AM  
antbuko

Maybe the workout is too hard for your current fitness level. Can you take it down a notch so that you are able to stick with it without extended breaks? Or, if something is too hard, take a quick, quick break without even leaving the position you are in. For example, if you are doing mountain climbers, find a modification that works for you, or stop for a second or two and jump back in. I generally bail if I am not having a good time, and sometimes I really, really want to like a workout, but I really, really hate it. Make sure you are having a good time and take mini breaks without leaving your exercise breaks, and find a workout that you really enjoy.
Old 04-09-15, 11:34 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
I get that you feel that way, but I think you're being too hard on yourself. You did the most important part, which is starting (and finishing) the workouts. Why critique your performance through the whole workout as well? Give yourself a break. Give yourself credit for doing the workouts. Keep plugging away and you will get fitter, even if you're taking long breaks.

As a side note, I know you like Jillian a lot, but I wonder if you've ever done workouts that were so much fun, you didn't want them to end, or at least, felt annoyed by having to take breaks during them? For me, it's Body Jam dance workouts - the combination of the music, the choreography, and the party atmosphere the instructors create... For everyone, it will be different.

Jillian, I seem to recall, spends a lot of time pointing out how hard her exercises are, and how much it sucks to have to be doing them. Maybe subconsciously it's having an impact on you.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 01:37 PM  
MARIKA

I remember Tony Horton saying somewhere that people don't push themselves hard enough. Like we go to easy for fear of hurting ourselves when actually we are tougher and stronger than we think! Just be smart about it. GET IT DONE!
Old 04-09-15, 04:27 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:

As a side note, I know you like Jillian a lot, but I wonder if you've ever done workouts that were so much fun, you didn't want them to end, or at least, felt annoyed by having to take breaks during them? For me, it's Body Jam dance workouts - the combination of the music, the choreography, and the party atmosphere the instructors create... For everyone, it will be different..
Such un-American advice! For SHAME!! Didn't you know this country was founded on Puritan doggedness and Calvinist nose-to-the-grindstone persistence? [/sarcasm]

Quote:

Jillian, I seem to recall, spends a lot of time pointing out how hard her exercises are, and how much it sucks to have to be doing them. Maybe subconsciously it's having an impact on you.
That's right. No attempt at sugarcoating this approach ...
We are living in a nation at war, after all ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt, fat loss, hiit, interval training, weight loss