Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-15, 04:45 PM  
yahoo205

Motivation after pressing play (i.e. not taking breaks while working out)

I've been really good about at least doing my workout for the last 4-5 weeks but even though it's only 30 minutes (Jillian Michaels) I still take too many breaks. I've always had this bad habit of not pushing myself enough in the workout and/or making my water break a coffee break (from Shaun T Insanity). Any suggestions on changing this?
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-15, 05:55 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

If you can enforce the rules you make up, you could decree that you won't push pause, that you'll just sip enough water to get you moving again and rewind, if you have to. That might keep you moving more.

If you are part of a check in, you can publicly announce that you are working toward the goal of working out for X number of minutes without taking a break and that you'll post your progress.

Good luck! Habits like that are really heard to break, especially when motivation is low.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-15, 06:46 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Do you know why you need to keep taking extended breaks? Are you getting exhausted? Bored? Something else?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-15, 07:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

interesting question! I decide ahead of time how long I will be working out for the current session. like right when I push play.

I have my water right on top of the TV shelf and I sip and keep going. somehow it makes me keep up and not tune out.

I know that if I pause it or even stop it prematurely, i'll have to make up that time and finish the agreed upon length that I established at the beginning of the session. I guess you can say I become my own taskmaster!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-15, 07:58 PM  
buffmama

Maybe something dancy or step that flows and doesn't really stop? Or try something harder where you do actually need the breaks. (I recommend JMBR phase 3 where I need the breaks.)
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 08:49 AM  
TinierTina

How about Giving yourself an "Out" at the Beginning

Tell yourself, you'll do "just 10 minutes" and if you feel like stopping then, give yourself permission to stop.

Doing videos and audios absolutely, to me, does not have the energy of a live class and never will; and feels lonely. It takes me roughly 10 minutes to forget I'm alone. That's just for starters. Adding in the flagging energy (despite working at my own level) complicates things ...

But by 10 minutes in (varies, depending on movement level: 30 minutes in if classical hatha/vinyasa yoga if it's my own sequence) I am 95% of the time committed to giving it my best for another 10 minute increment of time; and on down the line ...

Soon 40 minutes are gone ... or more.

I don't do anything ever over 90 minutes at a time anymore; but the potential is unlimited ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 10:25 AM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Do you know why you need to keep taking extended breaks? Are you getting exhausted? Bored? Something else?
Really, it's mostly lack of motivation. For example, if I'm doing something that's too hard I'll take a break (planning it to be a little one but often it's longer). I'm only ever in the mood to exercise when I'm in better shape but won't get back in better shape if I don't exercise. Often, it's one excuse after another (need water, change music, etc.).

I'm doing Jillian Michaels Bodyshred now and part of the effectiveness of the program is the lack of breaks so I know I'm being counterproductive. For example this 30 minute workout can take 45 mins to 60 mins when I'm being really unmotivated.

One good thing about live classes is that I only take a break when I really need it because I want to keep up with others. But, when I am more motivated on my own, working out hard is not an issue. Unfortunately for me, everything goes hand in hand (eating better, being more motivated with exercise, feeling better OR eating worse, being less motivated with exercise, feeling worse).
Old 04-09-15, 10:46 AM  
Chomper

It sounds like you're not having fun. Are there other types of workouts or forms of exercise that are actually fun for you? Because I would make the switch. Or if the answer is no, start experimenting with new types of workouts. Maybe even try some paper workouts, playing your favorite music, and using a timer.

I am doing some fast total body strength circuits that take about 25 minutes. I get a lot done in that time. I got the basic formula from a Nia Shanks article.

I guess also, consider exercising outside now that the weather is getting nice. If you're going for a brisk walk or jog, or bike ride, the only way to take extra breaks would be to stop at stores or cafes, and you could avoid routes that go past anything tempting like that.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 10:54 AM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
It sounds like you're not having fun. Are there other types of workouts or forms of exercise that are actually fun for you? Because I would make the switch. Or if the answer is no, start experimenting with new types of workouts. Maybe even try some paper workouts, playing your favorite music, and using a timer.

I am doing some fast total body strength circuits that take about 25 minutes. I get a lot done in that time. I got the basic formula from a Nia Shanks article.

I guess also, consider exercising outside now that the weather is getting nice. If you're going for a brisk walk or jog, or bike ride, the only way to take extra breaks would be to stop at stores or cafes, and you could avoid routes that go past anything tempting like that.
I actually really like Jillian Michaels.
Old 04-09-15, 10:55 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
I'm doing Jillian Michaels Bodyshred now and part of the effectiveness of the program is the lack of breaks so I know I'm being counterproductive. For example this 30 minute workout can take 45 mins to 60 mins when I'm being really unmotivated.

One good thing about live classes is that I only take a break when I really need it because I want to keep up with others. But, when I am more motivated on my own, working out hard is not an issue.
As for Jillian Bodyshred, let it take 60.

Just think! She probably took a 50 or 60 minute workout to begin with; and took out the "continuity", "steady-state" or "filler" of old-school to begin with. At least, that's what they admit to in the T-25 infomercials that is what those killer "abbreviated" workouts do!

I've done that with my own classical pilates sequences. I know they are NOT the same kind of workout, but the principle of sequencing is the same.

If your ticker is so strong enough that you could jump back in from a DEAD STOP, well that's what is very, very healthy about you ...

You ARE getting motivation from a live class. That motivation is peer pressure, and is very social in nature!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt, fat loss, hiit, interval training, weight loss