Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-23, 01:54 PM  
Malia

OT - Has Anyone Donated Plasma?

To be honest I was considering doing it for the money ($500 if I donate 4 times in the first month after signing up), but I have read horror stories. I thought it was the same as donating blood, but my friend said they take the plasma and then filter the rest of your blood back in to you.
I'm relatively healthy, but I've been googling pros and cons and have come across a lot of people who because very sick with various conditions after donating plasma.
I'd like to say I'm doing it to help people, but since I'm mostly doing it to pay some bills I'm wondering if there's a better way to make money that won't cause me to become ill.
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-23, 02:59 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Following this because my sister is in the same boat, but I didn't have enough information to help her make a decision.
Old 08-04-23, 03:03 PM  
Leonana

I did it about 15 years ago. I think I was 49 at the time. I also did it for the money, but only got about $120 back then. I had no problems during or after. I laid in a recliner and watched a movie during the procedure.

I’ve never heard of people becoming ill. They do a pretty comprehensive health screening process before you donate.
Old 08-04-23, 03:36 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

As someone who has received donated plasma, I'm very grateful that there are those that donate. If you need the money, I think it's fine.
Old 08-04-23, 04:36 PM  
BigBadBetty

I donated plasma a few times 30 years ago. It was not a good experience for me. My veins are "slippery". They had trouble getting a good connection. However, the worst of it was bad bruise and a little bit of dizziness. After like 3 times, they told me not to come back because my veins sucked. I was so jealous of my friends who could donate. It was easy money, and you were helping people.

Even with my bad experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone unless they had difficulty donating blood. My bad experience wasn't that horrible. I would say the worst part of the experience was the time I was in the waiting room sitting next to someone who hadn't seen a shower in days (weeks?).
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-23, 04:55 PM  
difit

I did it 15-20 years ago. I never had any problems during or after the procedure.

Like Leonana posted they do a pretty comprehensive health screening process before you donate. I also never heard anyone getting ill either.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-23, 07:09 PM  
Sollamyn

I've never done it, but a good friend of mine did it several times. This was probably about 20 years ago when she was in her 40s. I don't recall that she had any health issues during or after her donations.

Donna
Old 08-04-23, 08:04 PM  
fatkat555

A friend of mine donates every month with no bad effects. She lost her husband to cancer and started donating when he was going through therapies. In her opinion, she says donating plasma is not as rough as donating blood. I’ve only donated blood so I can’t really give personal insight to it.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-23, 02:22 PM  
TinaT

Both my husband and I have been active donors of plasma. I did stop after about a year because my iron readings weren't where they needed to be. My husband still donates twice a week and has been for 2 years now. They will do a basic high school physical and ask lots of questions before you are qualified to donate. They will assess your veins to see if they are useable.

If anyone is caught lying in the questionnaire, I believe you can be banded for life. They seem to run some kind of a bonus program for new folks along with seasons donors. They want you coming back, and that's not a bad thing. The funds my husband has received has helped out in many ways and provides a bit of mad money as well. It's a win-win program IMO.

I'm not going lie...the needle is huge compared to a shot you get in the arm. In fact, I don't feel those anymore. LOL

Write all YOUR questions down before going in and make sure you are comfortable with the process. Good luck.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, off-topic