Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-24, 03:08 AM  
Helen

🌈 Every Day in March (2024) - Anyone, everyone, ALWAYS welcome 🌟

TO THE

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 08:54 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Thanks for starting us off, Helen! Sorry about the heat. It sounds miserable.

3/1 - Firm Friday = Firm Parts: Upper Body, 39"
This is a compilation from the original Firm workouts and I loved seeing all the old outfits!
3/2 - 1 Mile Power Walk, Leslie, 17"
Total Body Light Cardio, Classical Stretch, 24" (found this on YT today, no idea what season it's from, but new to me)

Off to do something for today, will edit later.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 02:59 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Need my arrow

And to start the month off right. . . .Thanks for getting us started Helen!

Lili: you must have come back and edited for today (it is Saturday 3/2/24? right????) LOL ... Glad we have electronics and phones and clocks that tell us the day & date. It helps.

3/1/2024: FIRM: 40 mins. (Total Sculpt with Jen Carmen) **, 30 mins. Jon Hosking 80s walk on the treadmill, 15 mins. Recovery Ride & Post Ride Stretch with Bradley Rose

** 40 mins. was all I could do. I was so proud of myself for doing even this much. LOL! Trying to get more strength in. Does this count? But I digress. I thought of Lili and said to myself, "Now I can report in to Lili that I did a FIRM" and then realized - It was FRIDAY also. So I did Lili's FIRM FRIDAY.

I am feeling it today. Not as bad as I thought I would, but definitely feeling it. Trying to mix things up a bit. Cannot live on bike & row alone. (although I'd like to. Just haven't been into strength (But need to be). How much is enough? Who knows any more. 10 mins a day? 30 mins. a day? 5x a week? 3x a week ... ugggggggggg .... (just rambling).

Make it a great day.
Onward to make March a great month. (time change in a week), longer days, robins, spring, summer, yeah baby .....

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-24, 02:33 AM  
Helen

LILI
The heat was absolutely miserable ! but Autumn is on the way.
Oh The Firm - I want to like them, I do them on occasion, but they just don't make me happy.

CLEDA
My vast research has told me that 2/week total body, or various muscle groups being worked 2/week is enough for weights. Ample recovery, but 1/week for any muscle won't bring you progress. That may mean 4/week if going shorter splits.
For cardio - walking DAILY is almost essential, 30min IS enough, but elevating movement THROUGHOUT the day is even better.
Post menopause - avoid overdoing the cardio as it just raises cortisol too much - taper off the intensity, and go for endurance (your speciality!) at a "I can still talk, but would rather not" level more often. Do the hard things now & then only.

HIIT, as in a TRUE Tabata, CAN increase your VO2 max, BUT some people have a genetic factor that means they'll get NO GAINS. That one's a lottery.

Fri 1 - just too hot to do anything, even slept on the couch (A/C) but also thinking of Alice - she had the other couch.
Sat 2 - 30min dog walk + PJ Wren - Leg & Booty Series - Day 7 Killer Leg Day
Sun 3 - Cathe - Timesaver - Workout 1 (Step/Chest/Triceps) + 40min dog walk
Mon 4 - Cathe - RWH - Back/Biceps/Shoulders - Mix 3 = No Finishers + 30min dog walk

PJ Wren's Killer Leg Day WAS - KILLED my legs! But, really, that's just an indication that I haven't worked them often enough lately.

It's 6:30 & Kathryn hasn't messaged so looks like she's NOT in tonight, but Bridget has a deal to call me if she's heading to the gym or out for a walk/run - then I must change & setup a workout (or harness Alice to walk/jog) and send a picture. If I'm ready, I'll do it.

This is her being good to me - forced compliance.
Aaannnd they'd BOTH coming up to spend Fri/Sat night with me since DH will have been away for 2 weeks by then.

New Posts working again so something positive is definitely going on in the background!
Old 03-04-24, 01:14 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - Thanks for the info on what we SHOULD be doing. I try for strength training 3X week and cardio the rest of the time. I have found that the really hard stuff just doesn't appeal to me anymore, but I do try for some higher intensity here and there. As far as Firms are concerned, some I like, some I don't, most of them I can take or leave. How nice that the girls are coming to visit!
Cleda - I really don't enjoy strength training, but I know it's good for me, so I try and do it. Hope you liked your Firm Friday!
Waves to Vantreesta!

3/3 - 30 Min. Walk w/ Kat Gates
About 10 minutes of a rebounding w/o. It just didn't hold my interest.
Short dog walk
3/4 - Core Secrets: 25 Min. Total Body Workout (part of my try them before I toss them pile) Not bad, worth keeping for an easier day.
Dog walk and/or brisk walk later.

Old 03-04-24, 01:18 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
CLEDA
My vast research has told me that 2/week total body, or various muscle groups being worked 2/week is enough for weights. Ample recovery, but 1/week for any muscle won't bring you progress. That may mean 4/week if going shorter splits.
For cardio - walking DAILY is almost essential, 30min IS enough, but elevating movement THROUGHOUT the day is even better.
Post menopause - avoid overdoing the cardio as it just raises cortisol too much - taper off the intensity, and go for endurance (your speciality!) at a "I can still talk, but would rather not" level more often. Do the hard things now & then only.

HIIT, as in a TRUE Tabata, CAN increase your VO2 max, BUT some people have a genetic factor that means they'll get NO GAINS. That one's a lottery.

New Posts working again so something positive is definitely going on in the background!
Helen: Thank you so much! I do count on your vast research and it gives me a baseline. So I can work towards it as a goal. I used to be such a strength person. Was tough to get the cardio in. That all flipped with the bike. I guess cuz it's like a moving meditation for me. Even when it stays still!!! Hard things? Now and then for sure. (Even less since weight gain, some health issues and covid. . hmmmm) And I agree. Something is definitely going on in the background cuz ever since the day of the 503 error -- it's been great for me. (Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!)

My Firm Friday made me pretty achy. Just takes more effort to do something any more when I feel like that, so I ran out of time, ran out of energy and that lead to:

3/2/2024: REST DAY

3/3/2024: 15 mins. Climb Row + 5 mins. Cool Down row
with Aquil on Hydrow, 20 mins. Hike + 5 mins. cool down with Jon Hosking (Peloton) Max climb grade was 8% (still tough for me!), Extra 10 mins. low impact ride + 5 mins. Cool Down with Christine on the bike

I'm off to take stuff to the accountant, so we'll see what I do when I get back! Feeling pretty good, so hopefully I will put on my superman clothes** and do something.

** Superman clothes: My workout clothes. I put them on and it transforms me and makes me feel like superman and that I CAN do this!!!!!

Waves to all.
Have a great day!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-24, 02:20 AM  
Helen

Thank you both for trusting that I find credible info - I do prefer evidence based with a large sample number of people for the data.

Last night - I was IN the gym at 7, video in (Cathe MIS to do a mix) & had clothes ready to change into when Kathryn called!! She was "Oh, is it too late? I can do 8pm, still walking the dogs". Of course, I put it off & found something else (that had NO legs or triceps - ouch) that she had.

Mon-4 = Cathe - RWH - Lift It HiiT It - Back/Biceps/Shoulders - Mix 3 No Finishers

So now my biceps, triceps, shoulders, AND legs are twingy.

LILI
Kate is so lovely isn't she?! And the settings makes me sigh with delight - those streets with old chunky stone boundary walls.

CLEDA
Love the ** Superman clothes
If you USED to do mostly weights (until the bike) then once you start doing a bit more, you'll probably fall back into really enjoying it. I'm feeling that even with just this past week. Complex step makes me happy IN THE MOMENT, but being strong & having visible muscles makes me happy for a LONGER TIME - but I baulk at the effort it requires.
Old 03-05-24, 05:56 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

3/5 - Started Rob Glick's Hi/Low Fusion, lasted 12 minutes. While I used to love complex choreography, I started feeling frustrated. It went into the undecided pile.
Chris Dorner's Taylor Swift Step, 32 min. This I liked! Just enough choreo, not too much repeating, and I love when she tells me "you do you"!
Medium dog walk

Old 03-06-24, 01:04 AM  
Helen

Tue-5 was only a 50min dog walk.
My Charge 5 has stopped responding. Has a lit screen with the square made of blue dots but getting nothing. This is was a replacement-under-warranty from initial purchase last May (or May 2022?)
Old 03-07-24, 11:48 AM  
Vantreesta

We spent last wknd with my FIL and then drove across the state for our annual snowshoeing trip, which involved no snowshoes this year. Way more ice than we would ever want though! The trails were pretty ice covered, especially in the state park where we went the first day. The other two days we took trails that were probably less used and we were better able to maneuver around what ice there was. We enjoyed our trip and got home about 7 last night. I picked up Cyric this morning and we're fixing to go walk. He hasn't gotten a walk in a week! He was so excited to come home he was actually shaking and the lady who got him ready at the kennel said as soon as he saw his car harness his whole body just started wiggling. I missed him so much! I need to get groceries but will do that tmrw. I can't bear to leave him after just getting him home. I will do a ton of laundry when we get back from walking and also plan to workout, which he won't love, but at least I'll still be at home!

Fri 3/1 0 minutes UP NORTH
Pedometer: 7155 steps, 3.51 mi/Fitbit: 7189 steps, 3.4 mi

Sat 3/2 0 minutes UP NORTH
Pedometer: 4342 steps, 2.13 mi/Fitbit: 4568 steps, 2.15 mi

Sun 3/3 0 minutes UP NORTH
Pedometer: 2543 steps, 1.26 mi/Fitbit: 3231 steps, 1.52 mi

Mon 3/4 197 minutes UP NORTH
187 minutes (from 5.0 mi "ice hiking" at BHLSP with hubby)
10 minutes (from ball rolling against wall after hike)
Pedometer: 14089 steps, 6.69 mi/Fitbit: 19397 steps, 9.2 mi

Tue 3/5 179 minutes UP NORTH
169 minutes (from 4.38 mi hiking at NATWT with hubby)
10 minutes (from ball rolling against wall after hike)
Pedometer: 17806 steps, 8.36 mi/Fitbit: 18445 steps, 8.75 mi

Wed 3/6 210 minutes UP NORTH
210 minutes (from 6.85 mi hiking at SHT with hubby)
Pedometer: 25772 steps, 12.03 mi/Fitbit: 26156 steps, 12.4 mi
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote