Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-22, 01:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

A "slump" versus a "rut."

The last few years have been crazy with assorted health issues, injuries and life crap.

Especially the last year, as I relocated from a house to an apartment. I don't have a dedicated workout room anymore.

I have kept up well with my workouts in general. Buuuut, I do almost the same ten workouts all the time. It's like my brain does not want new stuff. I bought new workouts and they are still sitting on a shelf.

So, I haven't exactly had a slump. I am definitely in a rut.

Anyone in a slump? Or, a rut?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-22, 03:04 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Not currently but I have been. I think there is nothing wrong with honoring your body and doing what feels comfortable even if it’s the same routines. I once did only 1 mile Leslie’s every day while wearing my pjs and barely moving. However, that was all I could do at that time. It was all I had the emotional and physical bandwidth for. So, I wouldn’t feel bad. The fact you have been able to workout consistently is an accomplishment. I would just allow yourself Grace without any judgment attached and feel proud of yourself for continuing to do what you can.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-22, 08:16 PM  
Hsim

I would say I'm in a slump. I also relocated about 18 months ago - the old home had a finished basement and I used to exercise down there. My new home does not have a dedicated space to workout. I either use the garage (mostly for cardio), a very small spare bedroom (mostly for weights and yoga) or the living room (combo cardio and floorwork) and sometimes I even work out under my lean too in the shade of the backyard but that gets buggy.
I am constantly having to lug equipment around and I never feel completely comfortable in any of the spaces. I also have a problem going all out and then there is the problem of it being hot for six months of the year.
I think I will eventually have to move again. In the meantime I hope I do not lose the fitness level I have worked so hard to achieve.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 07:49 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I would say I'm in a slump. I also relocated about 18 months ago - the old home had a finished basement and I used to exercise down there. My new home does not have a dedicated space to workout. I either use the garage (mostly for cardio), a very small spare bedroom (mostly for weights and yoga) or the living room (combo cardio and floorwork) and sometimes I even work out under my lean too in the shade of the backyard but that gets buggy.
I am constantly having to lug equipment around and I never feel completely comfortable in any of the spaces. I also have a problem going all out and then there is the problem of it being hot for six months of the year.
I think I will eventually have to move again. In the meantime I hope I do not lose the fitness level I have worked so hard to achieve.
My husband and I have talked about downsizing our home in the future. My unfinished basement is my workout space. I told him I wouldn’t even consider another home without the same type of room for my equipment. Absolutely love it! I think having a dedicated area really helps. So I understand why you feel like you’re in a slump having to exercise in a variety of spots. Hoping you find a good solution
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 09:18 AM  
Izzy

To VVF- you have been through a lot of life altering changes this year. I would not call it either a rut or a slump. Be kind to yourself. The fact that you are working out everyday is testament that you are doing your best to work through all this. Keep grabbing those workouts that work for you. One day you will feel ready to venture out for others. I went through similar situations and it’s tough. But suddenly one day I pushed past that barrier. I have donated so many DVDs to my library I never used because I was trying to find that holy grail when I brought them. Now I just do what I enjoy.

For those who have moved; we don’t realize how life altering that is as we get older. It’s one thing when you are 20 but big moves when you are older can really affect us. Again be kind to yourself.

But interesting yesterday my walk buddy was talking about down sizing and what the house must have; for her a shop for her DH and a basement for her. I agree, must have a basement.
Old 12-04-22, 10:01 AM  
fatkat555

I find that if I’ve had a particularly rough day or if I’m returning to exercise after layoff or illness, I tend to reach for familiar workouts like my basics Firms. I think it’s because I can put my brain on autopilot due to memorization of the workout and it reduces the brain stress of having to learn something new or even having to face a taxing, tough workout. It becomes almost meditative and I find that I’m able to block out the mental “noise” with my core, basic workouts.

If you’re exercising and not bored, you’re not in what I’d consider a rut. You’re simply maintaining your habit. The time will come when you’ll feel like branching out. As others have said, be kind with yourself. I’m sorry you’ve had such a stressful time.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 10:52 AM  
alisoncooks

I suppose it’s a rut only if you’re not enjoying it. I’ve been doing the same few workouts for most of this year…nothing else seems to stick. Every now and then, something sparks an interest but nope. Back to what I’ve been doing. *shrug* At least I’m working out and consistent.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 11:11 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

When I'm weight training, I tend to stick to the same workouts over and over. I want to increase the weights as I go along, so I want the number of reps, and the order of the exercises to remain the same. IOW I want to control the number of variables.

When I get bored and want a change, I nearly always have to go down in weights at first.

Do what works for you.
Old 12-04-22, 12:14 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
The last few years have been crazy with assorted health issues, injuries and life crap.

Especially the last year, as I relocated from a house to an apartment. I don't have a dedicated workout room anymore.

I have kept up well with my workouts in general. Buuuut, I do almost the same ten workouts all the time. It's like my brain does not want new stuff. I bought new workouts and they are still sitting on a shelf.

So, I haven't exactly had a slump. I am definitely in a rut.

Anyone in a slump? Or, a rut?

VVfer… I agree with others that it’s only a rut if you’re not enjoying your workouts. You have been through so much over the past few years, and your attitude and resilience are amazing. Be easy on yourself. Any type of movement is wonderful!

ETA: Love what Kittybug had to say. It’s nice to not work the brain too much and take comfort in a routine.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 01:23 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

So many excellent and on-point replies here that I agree with! Vvfer, I've felt that way in the past with huge life changes and lots of stress. I too had maybe a handful of workouts that were all I did, because no, my brain simply couldn't handle anything new. Those workouts were my comfort and I figured being on autopilot while I was doing them gave me both an opportunity to get moving and a brain break. Commend yourself for the fact that you're still working out, because it is a big deal, especially with all you've had to deal with!

You're neither in a slump nor a rut. You're simply gathering momentum for when you're ready to try something new.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, rut, slump