Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-29-22, 06:56 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today so felt like Saturday to me, probably because we didn't have any appointments out of the house except for a pick-up at Food Lion, a really small order. We got a lot done around the house though. We changed the sheets on the bed. I did two loads of laundry of bed covers and towels. DH changed the liner in Polly's litter box. I cooked cubed steak for cubed steak sandwiches (probably one of my most favorite sandwiches.) And I did quite a bit on the computer.

Anita - I hope you enjoyed a quiet and relaxed snow day. We're supposed to get rain from that same system in the next day or two. I can understand now wanting to just get rid of working lights. It's nice you found someone who obviously wanted them. It's nice you can compare and contrast co-ops with your friend.

Paula - Yeah, Polly definitely knows she's in charge around here and directs DH and I as to how we can do what she wants. I'm definitely not going anywhere near Costco until the new year. I may try Trader Joe's first thing on a Tuesday morning. (Well, their first thing. I think they open at 10.)

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 09:07 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 1 Push (Strength) - I'm starting round 24 of this series. I told myself I'd do 24 rounds or two years of this series then assess. I followed this with Karen Voight Yoga Stretch.

Met friends for lunch today. Had a really good time.

Anita, hope you enjoyed your snow day. Did you have to shovel during the storm. Glad you found someone who wanted your working Christmas lights. Wise to decide to avoid major stores until after Christmas. Hot chocolate and a roll sounds yummy. My friends and I shared chocolate cake at lunch it was so yummy I could have eaten the whole thing by myself.

Laura, now that I'm retired many days feel like Saturday. I'm seem to always be looking at the calendar to figure out what day of the week it is. We're supposed to get rain on Thursday and Friday too - I hope it happens. My Trader Joes opens at 9:00 am during COVID they had a "senior hour" every weekend I think some Trader Joes are still doing that.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 10:10 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

My exercise yesterday was shoveling out my driveway - at least I don't have to shovel my back porch for Gus any more. We got about 8" of snow and it was pretty wet and heavy. Luckily I got my snowblower started and did the first run of the driveway, then cleaned everything up by shoveling it. Whew! I did toss those outdoor hangers - yay on downsizing!

Today, I'm expecting the city snow plow to leave a big pile at the base of my driveway and I'll have to shovel that. I might go for a walk in my neighborhood as I don't want to drive in the snow before things get plowed. I'm still trying to collect e-photos for transfer to my frame - I've found three sticks of photos that I'm trying to figure out how to transfer some photos from them - I don't want all! My Christmas card box is still sitting on my dining room table and I should get those cards started. Otherwise putzing...

Laura, I'm glad I didn't have anything scheduled for an appointment anywhere in the snowstorm - I'm sure our major roads are fine, but it takes the city an extra day or so to get the residential streets, so I'm kind of stuck here. There are days I wonder if I can get my car about 200 yards to the plowed street - hmmmmm.... I might do a Trader Joe's stop next week...

Paula, congrats on getting to the end of a fitness goal involving 24 months of programs! How did you do? I did all my shoveling and snow blowing at the end of the storm in the early evening - didn't seem effective to try to do a round around noon... I'm having to check what day of the week is happening now - Friday is my only scheduled time at the WRC. I hated seeing older people struggle trying to figure out what day of the week it is when doctors ask for evaluating brain activity - that's a bad question these days!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 06:15 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a busy day. It was also a dreary, rainy, cool, windy day. I went to the YMCA on the early side in the pouring rain and did a workout on the seated elliptical. DH had an appointment for his pain shots, so I came home and took him to that. I sat in the parking lot to wait for him instead of running errands and read my book and called my MIL. I didn't feel like driving in the rain with NC drivers. We came home from that and I got lunch ready and did a load of clothes and gathered and took out the trash.

Anita - That's always the worst when you get your driveway clear and THEN the snow plow comes through. I remember those days when we'd clear our driveway, but we couldn't reach the mainish road at the end of our street. I don't blame you for staying home.

Paula - Wow. You've been very consistent. Good job! I feel like I have the exercise attention span of a gnat compared to you.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 11-30-22, 10:00 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping day 2 Stretch anda neighborhood walk with DH.

Nice day so we flew. We got the Christmas decorations out of the garage and into the house. DH will be at the hangar tomorrow so I'm going to work on the decorations and maybe get some cards done.

I have a colonoscopy on the 8th, had to set up an appointment for a COVID test and make a list of the stuff I have to buy. I know it's necessary but I'm not looking forward to this at all.

Anita, shoveling snow definately qualifies as a workout! Whew! I'm not quite at the end of my 24 rounds of Pahla B Body Shaping. I just started the 24th round so end of December I'll be there. Over this time I've definately lost inches on my hips, thighs, and chest. I have a "smart" scale and my muscle has grown (slightly) and my body fat has gone down, not hugely but it's gone down. Over the past five rounds or so my numbers have plateaued. I was discussing with DH whether I should try something different when this round is done - complaining that progress has stopped. He basically said, "you've plateaued at a really good place, why would you want to maybe lose that?" He also pointed out I should be looking at the more subtle gains, i.e. my shoulders and arms are actually showing some definition - a first in my life at any stage. Other more subtle gains too. He makes good points and it's easy so I'll probably continue.

Laura, sounds as though you had a productive day. Glad you were able to get some time to yourself at the YMCA. The only reason I'm consistent is I exercise at home. I'm a morning person and just go through my morning routine. I get it done before I leave the house to do anything. It's one of the reasons I like doing a series, I check off the workout of the day as I do it. Brainless is probably the best word for it.
Old 12-01-22, 10:40 AM  
Vantreesta

Paula, I forgot to answer your question about the 8 challenges I started in January. A couple were 21 days and I think the rest were 30 or 31.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 11:35 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I had my game of Carcassonne this morning! I did finish the city plowing pile yesterday - a bit of cursing from me yesterday as the roads are supposed to be cleared of cars for the plows, but neighbors had several vans of service people at their houses so my drive base was plowed about 6 feet from the curb, so lots more shoveling! Argh! I'm still working on the photo sticks and Christmas cards - haven't gotten too far with those projects - editing photos on the sticks. More putzing planned - I worked on a sink drain in my bathroom - getting it cleared out so it drains better - success!

Laura, I'm kind of looking forward to having the gym room at the new co-op so I can exercise more easily on these cold days - nice to have an elliptical or treadmill available! It's kind of weird to me to be in a big city and have the snowplows do the residential roads a day or two after the storm - they prioritize the big roads which is good, but people do have to get out of their house to get to work, although now with Covid, lots of people can now work from home!

Paula, sorry about the colonoscopy coming up - not fun to prepare for. Are you doing a quick prep that gets you cleaned out in a day or an older fashioned prep that takes several days? Nice to see effects of your workouts in how your clothes fit - I need to get rid of a big abdominal bulge I get when I put on weight. I'll probably start working on losing some weight again... Being a morning exerciser is theoretically good, but I never felt good exercising hard in the morning - seems my body wasn't up yet to do the work well. My best times were lunch to evening workouts, but nothing past about 8 in the evening. Death pose in yoga was always good for me at 6 am .

Vantreesta, saw your post in the Decluttering thread - good job working on the Halloween boxes! I've been downsizing on Christmas decorations - I'll probably get rid of some stuff next year when I prep for my move to the co-op. Glad to have gotten rid of the indoor/outdoor light spools! My next project is to go through my tool chest and get rid of lots of old used stuff (nails, hooks, screws) or tools that never get used - I'll wait for a warmer day to get out to the garage!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-01-22, 07:16 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was a less busy day. DH felt a little better after the pain shots yesterday, thank goodness. I cooked DH barbeque chicken in the Instant Pot for lunch. I hesitate to say I "cooked" it because it's the easiest thing EVER to fix. This afternoon, I took him to his chiropractor appointment. Traffic was heavier than usual going there and back.

Anita - I'm surprised that somewhere as far north as you are doesn't do all the streets faster after a snowstorm. Their practice sounds like Maryland (not a good comparison, trust me! ) Is the co-op only one building? (So you wouldn't have to go to another building for the exercise room?) That will be really nice and give you options. Personally, I think the best time to exercise is the time you'll do it. That's pretty funny about the death pose at 6 a.m.

Paula - It sounds like your exercise routine has done well for you. The only reason to move onto something else would be if you are tired of what you have been doing. But, if you are, it's a good reason.

Vantreesta - It sounds like you are doing a good job decluttering. Good job!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-01-22, 09:22 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 3 Cardio followed by Tamilee Sitting Stretch.

Hung around the house, got some decorating done. Got some Christmas cards written, went to the Post Office for stamps and sent those cards on their way.

Vantreestra, when you do a series that's 21 - 31 days, do you follow it to conclusion? What then, do you repeat it or start something else?

Anita, nice to have a card game this morning. I guess you're going to have several sticks of pictures you can use with your new frame? This colonoscopy starts two days out - that evening I have to take a laxative before bed, the day before I stay home and go through the cleaning out process, then Thursday is the procedure. I think this is the old protocol because seems like what I did the last time. The only upside is maybe I'll lose weight and can pig out a little over the holidays. Having an exercise room in the same building should make working out easier. I'd love to have a exercise room, my brother has one in his house and I like to use it when I'm there.

Laura, glad your DH is feeling better and the pain shots worked for him. Yay for any dinner that's good and easy - the two best words when talking about cooking. I probably will stay with this workout series. I kind of like repetition - if I know what's coming up I can concentrate on form. The down side is I find my attention wandering. Before I started working out on YouTube I used the same DVD's over and over for the same reason.
Old 12-02-22, 07:39 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC, taking a walk, and stopping by Target to pick up some things. I figured out my frame can work a stick, but it doesn't transfer the pictures from the stick to the frame - it plays the stick... So, I need to buy a new stick and transfer the 3 stick photos to that stick and have that play in the frame. Luckily my computer can do this! I'm not too happy with the lack of ports in my iPad for a stick to be used on it. I might be retiring my iMac after this transfer of pictures.

Laura, yeah, I'm not thrilled with the city plowing - hope that will get better in the suburb where I'll be moving and having a plowing service take care of the building's lot. I didn't have that problem when I lived in Madison. Yes, the co-op is one building - L shaped and I'm at the outside bend point of the letter. The workout room will be on the first floor. Do you start with raw chicken in your Instant Pot, or just heat cooked chicken with sauce?

Paula, you're ahead of me on the Christmas cards - mine are still sitting on my dining room table... I've got three sticks of pictures, but now know the sticks can only be played, not transferred to the frame, so I'm getting a new stick that I can transfer photos from the three sticks to one. I could work out in my basement, but I don't like dripping sweat all over.

Waves to all!

Anita