Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-22, 02:06 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
No Netflix here. Just good old fashioned cable!
No Netflix here and no cable. We do have Amazon Prime.

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 02:09 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Wow. I've never met anyone who hasn't had Netflix :-) ...
The internet connection where I used to live was horrid. Streaming was a joke. I had to download any movies I wanted to watch on Prime and there were bandwidth limits. I have better internet now and can stream like a maniac! I cut the cable cord many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Easy Bake Battle is a new cooking series on Netflix. I watched the first 8 episodes and like that the recipes are easy to do, for those that aren't great cooks (like me!) Lots of good tips/hacks to make cooking easy when you're short on time or too tired to cook.
I was hoping they were using the Easy Bake Oven. (Old toy reference for the old-timers here).

I was surprised to see Blockbuster on the Netflix schedule. I dressed up as a Blockbuster Video employee/Zombie for Halloween.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 02:22 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

I was hoping they were using the Easy Bake Oven. (Old toy reference for the old-timers here).
Yes, that would have been a very difficult challenge, and next to impossible to use a bulb as a cooking source. I doubt these are in production nowadays. I think for the show it was a gimmick used to get people to watch with that play on words, "Easy Bake."

I need to re-watch the episodes now so I can write down what the contestants made, and some of the ingredients they used for the bakes/cooks.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 03:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I can't remember where I left off on Doc Martin so I may have to go back and binge on old ones 'til I figure out what I've seen and haven't seen.

I tried to watch Guilt, but the Scottish accents were just too hard for me to follow and I gave up. I also got confused by the plot line.

Apologies to anyone from Scotland who visits this site.
Yes, the accents took a bit of getting used to for Americans and I think I missed some of the slang. However, I did get used to the accents and compared it to when I moved to the U.S. south and encountered people with heavy southern accents and I would look at them with a blank stare sometimes when they spoke!

I have found that subtitles or closed captioning is very distracting to me. I'm reading the words and not watching the action. Guilt might be a good one to try it though as there aren't a ton of "action" scenes a la Fast and Furious. Oh, and my DH recognized the actress who played Mrs. Hughes in Downton Abbey for those who watched that show. She has a pretty major role in Guilt 2.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 04:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
No Netflix here. Just good old fashioned cable!
We gave up cable about 7 years ago as up here it’s a lot more expense than Netflix & Prime combined.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 04:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
We gave up cable about 7 years ago as up here it’s a lot more expense than Netflix & Prime combined.
It's expensive here too but my brother said sometimes you end up with like 3 streaming services to get all your shows and ends up being just as expensive. We don't do Amazon Prime so we don't already have that expense anyway. My brother has cable and a few streaming services but he works for the cable company so doesn't pay full price for cable and internet.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 05:53 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
It's expensive here too but my brother said sometimes you end up with like 3 streaming services to get all your shows and ends up being just as expensive. We don't do Amazon Prime so we don't already have that expense anyway. My brother has cable and a few streaming services but he works for the cable company so doesn't pay full price for cable and internet.
Our xfinity bill floats just under $200/month. That's with internet and a landline bundled in with the cable, but it appears at least half of that is the cable part. It eventually goes over $200 and then we have to call xfinity and "beat them back" as we call it and get them to lower it. Then it gradually rises again over the course of a year or two, rinse, repeat.

In any case, even just $100 would buy a lot of streaming services per month, especially if you share subscriptions with friends and/or family.

For instance, we have Netflix and share it with my uncle who has Amazon Prime, so he uses our Netflix and we use his Prime streaming. This is allowed up to a certain amount of "screens" and we all have our own profiles on each service. He also benefits when we get a cheap promo for hulu, acorntv, showtime, etc. because we share whatever service we get with him.

For premium stuff like HBO that never seems to have promos, we get it for only a month or two every 1-2 years and catch up on everything. Or, alternatively, most shows eventually get released to DVD and we can check them out from the library for free and binge watch our favorite series that way.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 06:14 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Our xfinity bill floats just under $200/month. That's with internet and a landline bundled in with the cable, but it appears at least half of that is the cable part. It eventually goes over $200 and then we have to call xfinity and "beat them back" as we call it and get them to lower it. Then it gradually rises again over the course of a year or two, rinse, repeat.

In any case, even just $100 would buy a lot of streaming services per month, especially if you share subscriptions with friends and/or family.

For instance, we have Netflix and share it with my uncle who has Amazon Prime, so he uses our Netflix and we use his Prime streaming. This is allowed up to a certain amount of "screens" and we all have our own profiles on each service. He also benefits when we get a cheap promo for hulu, acorntv, showtime, etc. because we share whatever service we get with him.

For premium stuff like HBO that never seems to have promos, we get it for only a month or two every 1-2 years and catch up on everything. Or, alternatively, most shows eventually get released to DVD and we can check them out from the library for free and binge watch our favorite series that way.
That's interesting about Xfinity. I don't think our bill creeps like that with our company. In the end for us, though, I am still not giving up my baseball so it's a moot point. But that is a good idea sharing services like you do. My brother lets me use his Sirius so I can listen to baseball and he's offered to let me use others but since I'm not reciprocating I don't do more than Sirius as a rule.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 11-04-22, 08:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
That is a good point, but our cable was about 3X the cost of Netflix & prime together. And we travel a fair bit so we like that we can use our streaming services anywhere.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 09:20 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
That is a good point, but our cable was about 3X the cost of Netflix & prime together. And we travel a fair bit so we like that we can use our streaming services anywhere.
That's really nice to be able to watch when you're away from home. Our cable company has an app that lets us watch away from home but there are some channels (like the one my baseball is on) where you have to be on your home internet through them to watch. But last year I was able to watch a movie when we were away, which was nice.

Tags
amazon prime, binge watch, binge-watching, favorite tv shows, netflix, off topic, off-topic