Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-22, 11:43 AM  
bfit

Fitbit type device for very senior citizen?

Does anyone have any recommendations for something like a Fitbit for my Dad who is 94? He is living in an assisted living facility, and he counts his steps everywhere he goes there to make sure he gets his steps in plus he uses a recumbent bike in their exercise room and does some band work in his apartment. He uses the internet and email, but he's a little shaky on how his cell phone works and is not completely comfortable with technology. Is there something really simple for people like him?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 02:53 PM  
star117

Maybe look for devices marketed for kids? Thinking they would be very simple to use.
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 03:05 PM  
laurajhawk

I’m thinking you should look at pedometers, not fitness trackers or smart watches. Amazon has some simple looking pedometers.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 03:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I’m thinking you should look at pedometers, not fitness trackers or smart watches. Amazon has some simple looking pedometers.
i was thinking the same thing. simple is best.

i'm finding that too much technology on a simple thing is cumbersome. each time we buy something new, you have to set aside time to understand the technical and connective aspects of a device. and factor in time for troubleshooting, charging the battery (or changing the battery).... the list goes terribly on!

for example, simple weight scales come with blue tooth connectivity!! why? i have no idea. i guess to update your account with how much you weigh.

unless he's tech savvy and feels comfortable using technology, my vote goes to a pedometer.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 08:37 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Does he have a smart phone? You can download a pedometer on your smartphone.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, pedometer